Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well what are we even discussing? I said in terms of worldwide fame Australia has far more household names than any European or other country. It's only beaten by the US and UK and rivalled by Canada. So it's either 3rd or 4th in terms of huge celebs in the world, and that's because of it's Anglo heritage. Not bad for a nation of 23 million in the Southern Hemisphere...
What we are discussing is this comment you made:

Come on Acajack, you can't deny that the most popular pop cultural exports are from the Anglosphere.

You seem to say this in the defence of Obi Wan's comments. I don't dispute anglo culture is most influential globally, but that doesn't mean it's dominant everywhere. (Though it might be said to have a some kind of presence everywhere.)

But I still think that if you walked down my street and asked people to name as many Australian and French celebrities, the list of French ones would be much, much longer. But of course, Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, Mick Dundee, would pop up.

I know Australia reasonably well as you know, but for example I can't name one single talk show or TV host from Australia. I can name at least five from France off the top of my head though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 5,294,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Have you ever been off that island of yours?

The most popular music artist where I live is this person:

Marie-Mai - Différents (Vidéoclip officiel) - YouTube

In this part of the world, she sells more albums, more concert tickets, has longer queues for autographs, will draw more hits on the Internet, than any other artist from anywhere in the world.
Marie Mai is so big in Quebec, they considered scheduling the NHL playoff games this year around her concerts. That's a big deal.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 AM

131 posts, read 168,565 times
Quote:
Come on Acajack, you can't deny that the most popular pop cultural exports are from the Anglosphere. Australia has pumped out far more world famous musicians, writers, artists,film-makers, actors.etc than any European country in recent decades. It's the English-speaking advantage.
Your right, in fact the top 10 songs on Itunes right now in America, 4 of them are Australian
I cant name any other country that has as many Australian artists on there top ten as America does,
-Problems (Iggy)
-Fancy (Iggy)
-Rude (Magic)
-Boom (Charlie)

America really likes Iggy and her songs, Iggy seems to be more popular in the US than in the country she is from though, I mean fancy and problems have been on the top for 6 weeks now.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
Almost all world famous European musicians and bands are British.

Almost all world famous European movies are British.

Almost all world famous European video games are British.

Almost all world famous European novels and theatre is British.

Nearly all of the modern cultural awards like the oscars, Grammies etc are dominated by UK and USA.

European countries can't compete with British global movie giants like
Harry potter,
James Bond,
lord of the rings
Gravity
Slumdog millionaire
28 days later
Riddick
12 years a slave
Narnia
Borat
Etc etc. etc, the list is too long to write, Europe cant even dream of having such big and global cultural success that Britain has.

Europe doesn't have anything that can match british video games like
, grand theft auto, tomb raider, banksy.

British television shows are shown right around the world, shows like
Dr who
The office
Who wants to be a millionaire
Top gear
American idol (British idol)
Americas got talent (britains got talent)
The X factor
Being human
Gladiators
Dancing with the stars
Hell's Kitchen
Skins
Spaced
Deal or no deal
The weakest link
Shameless.
Many American television shows were bought from Britain.

Britain has so many massive global musicians, bands, dj's etc that the whole of Europe combined wouldn't even match ten percent of Britain's global music influence, so I won't embarrass you by comparing modern British music with European lol

People from all countries around the world watch British and American movies and television and listen to British and American music and play British and American video games. Europe has nothing like that and can't even try to march the cultural influence that Britain and America have.

the world's people get their news from British and American stations, like the BBC world service, the most watched channel on earth.

The world does not know or care about European popular culture, because european popular culture is almost non existent compared to British and American modern culture.
The BBC alone is the biggest media conglomerate in the world. Britain and America are considered the two biggest soft power (cultural influence) nations in the world, Europe is insignificant in these fields
Where do I start?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergodela View Post
Your right, in fact the top 10 songs on Itunes right now in America, 4 of them are Australian
I cant name any other country that has as many Australian artists on there top ten as America does,
-Problems (Iggy)
-Fancy (Iggy)
-Rude (Magic)
-Boom (Charlie)

America really likes Iggy and her songs, Iggy seems to be more popular in the US than in the country she is from though, I mean fancy and problems have been on the top for 6 weeks now.
None of this makes Kate Ritchie a household name in Porto Alegre, Zaragoza, Billund or Chicoutimi.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
None of this makes Kate Ritchie a household name in Porto Alegre, Zaragoza, Billund or Chicoutimi.
That wasn't what i was referring to but I get your point.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:16 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
What we are discussing is this comment you made:

Come on Acajack, you can't deny that the most popular pop cultural exports are from the Anglosphere.

You seem to say this in the defence of Obi Wan's comments. I don't dispute anglo culture is most influential globally, but that doesn't mean it's dominant everywhere. (Though it might be said to have a some kind of presence everywhere.)

But I still think that if you walked down my street and asked people to name as many Australian and French celebrities, the list of French ones would be much, much longer. But of course, Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, Mick Dundee, would pop up.

I know Australia reasonably well as you know, but for example I can't name one single talk show or TV host from Australia. I can name at least five from France off the top of my head though.
And that is correct. In the WORLD they are. That doesn't mean it's dominant EVERYWHERE, but it's more dominant than non-English speaking pop culture. Do you understand that? Yes, Spanish-speaking media is big in Latin America, K-pop is growing in Asia, but Hollywood still has a universality all of the others lack. It follows on the heels of English being the unofficial global lingua franca.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:16 AM

545 posts, read 866,887 times
Quote:
Well Australia punches far above it's weight, and I think it's pretty obvious our Anglo connection is a big advantage here. Need I name the Aussie film makers who became big in Hollywood? The list will be long. Compare it to the famous French actors. Basically I can think of Gerard Deprideau and Audrey Tatou who have made any dent in Hollywood. In contrast (you can debate how Australian they are but they are generally considered so), the likes of Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, Hugh Jackman, Anthony LaPaglia, Toni Colette, Heath Ledger (RIP), Liam Hemsworth, even Rose Byrne among others. Baz Luhrman is one of the biggest directors in Hollywood right now. Sure the French had their new wave and moment in the sun, but France has always been near the centre of cultural gravity.
Funny list. Australian may consider them Australian, but..
Mel Gibson is Irish and American, he doesn't have Aus nor NZ nationalities. He just lived there 10 years while he was a teenager, and maybe he still go there sometimes but now lives back in the US.
Russel Crow is from NZ. Yeah, I could agree, it's almost the same thing.
Naomi Watts is a British who worked in Australia but then moved to the US to improve her career.

Nicole Kidman is definitely Australian even if she is born with the American nationality too..
And I don't know the others, and I won't make any search about them.

Baz Luhrman is a known director, but not one of the biggest. Not in the same league as Scorsese, Georges Lucas, Tarantino, Coen brothers, etc..

I assume you were talking about Gerard Depardieu and Audrey Tautou We could add Marion Cotillard, Jean Reno and Jean Dujardin. French actors don't do well in Hollywood, agreed. But French films do in average better in the US than Australians. French actors become known because of French films, not because they moved to Hollywood. Luc Besson is maybe the only known French director oversea.

French films had one Oscar. British plenty. Italy/France/China/UK one. US, well, all the others.
Best actor ? Australia had more than any continental European country, even if less than all combined. Still much less than the UK.
Best director ? France, Switzerland, Italy, Russia and Austria had more. UK and US in the top by a large margin again.

And this are the Oscar.. An English-speaking American trophy. We could compare data from Cannes or the Berlin Festival ? But it would be worse.

Considering the British stats, even relatively to the country's population Australia doesn't push above its weight. It doesn't do bad either.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:22 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,547,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Funny list. Australian may consider them Australian, but..
Mel Gibson is Irish and American, he doesn't have Aus nor NZ nationalities. He just lived there 10 years while he was a teenager, and maybe he still go there sometimes but now lives back in the US.
Russel Crow is from NZ. Yeah, I could agree, it's almost the same thing.
Naomi Watts is a British who worked in Australia but then moved to the US to improve her career.

Nicole Kidman is definitely Australian even if she is born with the American nationality too..
And I don't know the others, and I won't make any search about them.

Baz Luhrman is a known director, but not one of the biggest. Not in the same league as Scorsese, Georges Lucas, Tarantino, Coen brothers, etc..

I assume you were talking about Gerard Depardieu and Audrey Tautou We could add Marion Cotillard, Jean Reno and Jean Dujardin. French actors don't do well in Hollywood, agreed. But French films do in average better in the US than Australians. French actors become known because of French films, not because they moved to Hollywood. Luc Besson is maybe the only known French director oversea.

French films had one Oscar. British plenty. Italy/France/China/UK one. US, well, all the others.
Best actor ? Australia had more than any continental European country, even if less than all combined. Still much less than the UK.
Best director ? France, Switzerland, Italy, Russia and Austria had more. UK and US in the top by a large margin again.

And this are the Oscar.. An English-speaking American trophy. We could compare data from Cannes or the Berlin Festival ? But it would be worse.

Considering the British stats, even relatively to the country's population Australia doesn't push above its weight. It doesn't do bad either.

don't forget that aussie actresses Phoebe Tonkin and Claire Holt are on the usa show the Originals

and Luke Mitchell and Indiana Evans are trying to break into the states acting-wise,

though like with Sharni Vinson, it has been a bit difficult for them compared to other aussie celebs

Old 06-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post

Yes, people make a big deal about the Oscars as if they were the entire world's film awards and sure once again we can admit they are the biggest, but there is a difference between being "the closest thing to a global film awards" and being "the uncontested global film awards that everyone on the planet follows with reasonably equal passion".

In most of the world the Oscar winners get a quick mention at the end of the entertainment news bulletin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe