Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 03:25 PM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I've noticed that certain awful byproducts of modern culture such as "reality TV" "pop music" and "fast food" tend to automatically be assumed to be American or a byproduct of American culture. While that is true for fast food to an extent, pop music and reality tv weren't actually started in America. The first "reality" tv show was called Nummer 28 and it was a dutch show and concept of Pop music actually started in Britain.
I think there is an 'Anglo culture' shared between English speaking nations that's all lumped together under the label 'American culture' not just English but Australian and Canadian (New Zealand, Ireland etc), probably because the US is the biggest 'Anglo' nation. Because of the nature of my work I work alongside many different nationalities and a recent discussion with as Romanian work colleague revealed that he assumed (nearly all) English bands were in fact American including Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Queen, The Who and many more, he still won't believe Ozzie Osbourne is English even now! The same can be said of English films, actors and actresses etc (he still won't have it that Idris Elba is English). To be fair to him I can understand why, I used to confuse Canadian and American actors and actresses but recently I have discovered that not only are there many English / Australian actors on US TV that I thought were American myself but there are also many American / Australian actors and actresses on UK TV that I always thought / assumed were British!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 06:49 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,247,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I think there is an 'Anglo culture' shared between English speaking nations that's all lumped together under the label 'American culture' not just English but Australian and Canadian (New Zealand, Ireland etc), probably because the US is the biggest 'Anglo' nation. Because of the nature of my work I work alongside many different nationalities and a recent discussion with as Romanian work colleague revealed that he assumed (nearly all) English bands were in fact American including Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Queen, The Who and many more, he still won't believe Ozzie Osbourne is English even now! The same can be said of English films, actors and actresses etc (he still won't have it that Idris Elba is English). To be fair to him I can understand why, I used to confuse Canadian and American actors and actresses but recently I have discovered that not only are there many English / Australian actors on US TV that I thought were American myself but there are also many American / Australian actors and actresses on UK TV that I always thought / assumed were British!
True.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:55 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,290,631 times
Quote:
exactly.... there are Aussie and Brit actors on American TV show who do a American accent, even Southern accent on TV Dramas. A lot actually past and present. Until they appeared on Talk and morning news Programming in the US which is a variety Talk/News. I did not know some were. They speak on their NORMAL ACCENT outside the Dramas and you realize it....and say where they are from originally.

Nothing new.... as Hollywood had plenty of Brit actors and Broadway.

Seems the OP from other post has a negative view of America? More then positive in the world for sure. But still found a home in Toronto Canada. The most American city in Canada.

Last edited by steeps; 08-07-2015 at 08:05 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 09:00 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,272,928 times
Quote:
Surely it's the other way around isn't it? The UK has an incredible pop culture of its own doesn't it!?
For me personally I listen to a blend of American and British music. To me I do not notice a significant difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe