Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:06 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonboy View Post
I disagree go to any cinema in Western Europe and 99% of the movies are from hollywood. Yes in France, Germany, Spain, Italy they are dubbed but they are Hollywood movies regardless.

Of course there are also many local programs, series etc. but for example Desperate Housewives is internationally known.

You can find a McDonald, Starbucks, KFC in every major European city.

MTV, 90% of the musicians are either American or US based (Justin Bieber etc.) but of course every country in Europe also has its local artist, actors, musicians.

Also for example Craig Daniel or Clive Owen are British, but if they didn't move to Hollywood "nobody" would know them. Same for Amy Winehouse or Jay Sean they are signed to American record labels.

I would say that countries like India, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Hong Kong, The Philippines got strong local industries. But then again the biggest stars go to Hollywood.

I would say that countries like Belgium, Holland, Norway, Sweden and the UK have the most American pop culture. The fact that almost everybody in these countries are fluent in English proves my point.
Are you seriously suggesting that the reason the people in the UK are 'fluent in English' is because of American pop culture!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 10:14 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonboy View Post
I disagree go to any cinema in Western Europe and 99% of the movies are from hollywood.
Your post is mostly rubbish, but here is an empirical study:

SKIP

Apparently there are 70 movies shown around town. Around 20 of them are Hollywood productions or produced elsewhere in the US.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:41 AM

97 posts, read 201,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you sing in English like Abba, Scorpions, Ace of Base, Roxette, A-ha, etc. you will do OK.
Why everithing has to be in english? So other languages should die and everybody would speak english in the future...

Old 05-20-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Don't worry like I said he is one of many, Ozzy is English, from Brum (Birmingham......the English Birmingham! lol). There are lots of British films, actors and actresses that are British but people assume are American, its even sometimes difficult for Anglo's to distinguish themselves I know many Americans were surprised that Hugh Laurie (Dr House) is English or Edris Elba (to name but a few) but it does work both ways, there have been numerous American / Irish / Australian etc actors on British TV that I've assumed are British until I've heard them interviewed in their native accent or I've seen them on American TV shows.

I agree.. British and Irish actors do well in the US, because they speak native english language and because they look just like regular white american people for the most part so people can relate to them. The non-brit europeans are easy to tell apart in hollywood movies, for example the first time I saw Diane Kruger I noticed she was not an American.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:49 AM

In the Least americanized countries.. Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:15 AM

504 posts, read 465,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Isn't Elton John American?

Off with his head!

That comment counts as treason.

Elton is the new Queen Mum.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:17 AM

504 posts, read 465,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safinator View Post
Why everithing has to be in english? So other languages should die and everybody would speak english in the future...
It's the world's Lingua Franca, like it or not.

You can try to do a "King Canute" like the French, but they are spitting in the wind. French is not a world language any more no matter how they pretend it is.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:43 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
It's the world's Lingua Franca, like it or not.

You can try to do a "King Canute" like the French, but they are spitting in the wind. French is not a world language any more no matter how they pretend it is.
Those frogs! How dare they value their language? How dare those filthy arrogants sing in their language?!
How dare they insist on speaking their language instead of Anglicising everything?
Pfff, how xenophobic they are.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:09 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safinator View Post
If you read my posts you will see I am in agreement with you.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that the reason the people in the UK are 'fluent in English' is because of American pop culture!!!!!

Brits learnt english after Kayne west and lil wayne became popular in the Isles, until that time brits limited themselves to speak an old Brythonic or Gaelic dialect .

Before the foundation of the US there was nothing outside the States... that why Vegas is such historical compilation of all the wonders around the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe