Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
He's obsessed with it I thank my Grandparents for deciding to come to the UK and not the US.
I had an English friend like sickandtired.... he was one of those Brits who though America=Britain with skyscrapers!!

he would go on and on and on about America.... America this, America that.... we're so much like the Americans, OMG America, our cousins the yanks on the other side of the pond, etc etc etc!!!

he would even yap non-stop about the special churchillian relationship between the US and the UK and how Britain needed to stand by America!!

Then he moved to California for supposedly two years, he was quite desperate to be in America!!

A year later he moved back to the UK because he hated it, he told me he couldn't find himself in the US, he hated driving everywhere, the fake everything, the lack of knowledge of the general population many of whom knew nothing of the UK, he felt so out of place and was so desperate to go back to the UK that he lasted like 11 months and a half and ditch his job and moved back to Birmingham.

He told me some people were so uninterested in the world that when he tried to start a conversation with them about the UK, they would answer "we're in America pal!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
No. The UK shows much more American shows, in Europe its the boring shows like the Simpsons. Usually they are released months after whereas here its a day after America.
That is not true

Ive been in the US and they release films and like a half a year later they are released in the UK and Europe

Take the movie Gravity with George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, I watched it in the US, then moved to Switzerland and went to Reading UK to see a friend like eight months later and they were announcing on TV Gravity as the new movie coming up in theaters!!!

Americans make pretty much no distinction between Europe and the UK, to them the UK=Europe!
Those big marketing companies and TV companies release their shows around the same time in all of Europe, they go by geographical areas and the UK is in Europe!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:07 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I had an English friend like sickandtired.... he was one of those Brits who though America=Britain with skyscrapers!!

he would go on and on and on about America.... America this, America that.... we're so much like the Americans, OMG America, our cousins the yanks on the other side of the pond, etc etc etc!!!

he would even yap non-stop about the special churchillian relationship between the US and the UK and how Britain needed to stand by America!!

Then he moved to California for supposedly two years, he was quite desperate to be in America!!

A year later he moved back to the UK because he hated it, he told me he couldn't find himself in the US, he hated driving everywhere, the fake everything, the lack of knowledge of the general population many of whom knew nothing of the UK, he felt so out of place and was so desperate to go back to the UK that he lasted like 11 months and a half and ditch his job and moved back to Birmingham.

He told me some people were so uninterested in the world that when he tried to start a conversation with them about the UK, they would answer "we're in America pal!"
Hahaha LOL.

I don't know any British person who thinks like that many understand the differences between the US and the UK. Both Countries are similar but not that similar and California is the least British part of the US anyway why didn't he not move to New England.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:12 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
No Irene you are WRONG. It did used to be like that in the past but nowadays in the last year or so most of the shows in America are released either on the same day or on a few days after.

Although some of them are released later idk why, but also it depends on the country of origin, if it is the French movie it takes forever to come out here for some reason.

Also products, for example, we have the iPhone 6 issued UK and America first, not released in some European countries for 6 weeks later - same for iPhone 5.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:14 AM

The US is nice, don't get me wrong

but if you live in Europe where you get months paid off every year, you have amazing cities with spectacular architecture, cuisine to die for, diversity of all kinds, beautiful landscapes, amazing historical sites, I really don't see what could possibly be so interesting about the US.

Most of the US is pretty suburban, big houses, big cars, big people, churches everywhere, race, race, race and more race, work work work and more work, jesus loves you, big buffets with big people eating in them, giant shopping malls as the main and only entertaining thing to do for miles and miles, general lack of knowledge of anything beyond US shores (even in the olympics they only show games when American athletes are competing), ok you have nice cities like San Francisco and NYC and miami, but get out of those cities and you're in 100% Americana, non-stop!!!!

I wouldn't change Europe for the US....

Sometimes I meet Europeans who go like, OMG I would love to live in the US!!! (I go like why? what could possibly be so interesting about living in some massive home in a big suburbia in the middle of nowhere, totally dependent on a car to go anywhere?)

Old 04-26-2015, 10:20 AM

Ugh but thats YOU, thats what you like. I don't like old boring buildings, I don't like small roads where I can't park my car, I hate one way systems, I hate having a crappy small shopping mall where I can't get everything I want, I hate having rubbish weather, I hate having a small country, I hate living near countries where they don't speak English, I hate small houses, I hate European lorries, I hate not having nice restaurants and best of all I hate it when British companies and Irish companies bring 'American Steakhouses' and pretend that they are 'American' steakhouses but in reality the portions are VERY small, the service is very different, the choice is small and the food does not taste as good.

What I don't like about America:
1. Lots of staring by minorities.
2. Lots of people who don't speak English.
3. TAXES - GRRRR. Don't DARE tell me the price before tax over the phone, it ain't no use to me because I ain't going to be paying that!
4. Driving on the wrong side of the road.
5. Being 10 hours behind the rest of the world in time so all my relatives are in bed before I even get to dinner.
6. Not understanding my accent as if I am speaking a completely different language.
7. People from the hood who sound like they are speaking Chinese or something - literally these people are unrecognisable.
8. Calling people 'him' and 'her' instead of using their name.
9. Being ignorant about other countries.
10. FLAGS.
11. Acting like America is the best when there are actually crappy rural areas like ND which if I was offered to move to I would say no.
12. The way they treat the poor.
13. Expensive medical bills.
14. The **** they call a slush poppy, eh no its more like foam.
15. The chocolate is ok but their sweets are absolute nonsense, they are literally like things a child would make, I mean look at the shape of mike and ikes - i'm sorry but our sweets are far far better.
16. Walmart - its great for poor people I admit but for me who is middle class I want decent clothes and I want a proper supermarket that does not feel like a warehouse.
17. The way there is no town centre, this really annoys me.
18. Automatic cars making really weird noises.

Last edited by Sickandtiredofthis; 04-26-2015 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 10:22 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
The US is nice, don't get me wrong

but if you live in Europe where you get months paid off every year, you have amazing cities with spectacular architecture, cuisine to die for, diversity of all kinds, beautiful landscapes, amazing historical sites, I really don't see what could possibly be so interesting about the US.

Most of the US is pretty suburban, big houses, big cars, big people, churches everywhere, race, race, race and more race, work work work and more work, jesus loves you, big buffets with big people eating in them, giant shopping malls as the main and only entertaining thing to do for miles and miles, general lack of knowledge of anything beyond US shores (even in the olympics they only show games when American athletes are competing), ok you have nice cities like San Francisco and NYC and miami, but get out of those cities and you're in 100% Americana, non-stop!!!!

I wouldn't change Europe for the US....

Sometimes I meet Europeans who go like, OMG I would love to live in the US!!! (I go like why? what could possibly be so interesting about living in some massive home in a big suburbia in the middle of nowhere, totally dependent on a car to go anywhere?)
The poster likes all of that he's very narrow-thinking so the US suits him.

I agree that once you are outside the major Cities it gets boring but isn't that the same with every Country?

Old 04-26-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Ugh but thats YOU, thats what you like. I don't like old boring buildings, I don't like small roads where I can't park my car, I hate one way systems, I hate having a crappy small shopping mall where I can't get everything I want, I hate having rubbish weather, I hate having a small country, I hate living near countries where they don't speak English, I hate small houses, I hate European lorries, I hate not having nice restaurants and best of all I hate it when British companies and Irish companies bring 'American Steakhouses' and pretend that they are 'American' steakhouses but in reality the portions are VERY small, the service is very different, the choice is small and the food does not taste as good.
lol that is the reason u wanna live in the US? lol

by the way, American steakhouses are AWFUL, even in the US... American meat is pumped with additives and chemicals!!!

you want good massive steak at least go to a south America churrascaria in london, pure beef top quality non-stop until you explode!!!

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-27-2015 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 04-26-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I agree that once you are outside the major Cities it gets boring but isn't that the same with every Country?
Would you just ever get out of here and STOP talking about America when you visited ONE place! Streetview is not a representation of what a place is like.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:

not really, the UK in its middle cities can be quite interesting to discover , namibia for example is extremely fun in the small towns, full of color and funny people!!!

I am talking about large cities with nothing to do because it's all suburban and full of shopping malls.

NYC, DC, miami, San francisco are diverse, modern, fun.... but go to jacksonville, atlanta, saint louis, kansas city, dallas and its what I described, shopping malls, suburbias, green lawns, no one o the street

my sister lives in atlanta and I go there and I get so bored, especially if i don't have a car I have to sit down ad watch tv until she gets home so we can go to the shopping mall or something because there is not much else to do in a city the size of london with the population of birmingham!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe