Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 07:25 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,307,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yeah, I know. I was only talking about the US.

The immense British music scene obviously just wipes out much of the competition. I think it's quite natural.

Define 'American' and 'similar', and we'll continue from there. Why would small mean less strong? You don't think Serbia has a visible culture because it's small? Have you read any of my posts in this thread?
Yes I have, thank you, my post actually was an answer to Claudio Claudio's post, I rarely write something out of the loop (unless it is a temperature figure !)

I was just implying, that if for *some* people northern european culture is more similar to the american one (that you can define the way you want) it might be because, overall, the quantity of cultural products produced by northern european countries *might* be less important than the one produced in more populated european countries.

But mostly, the fact that English is more understood / spoken / in the media in northern Europe than it is in Southern / Western Europe (Outside of the UK obviously) renders its cultural products (movies, music, etc) less immediately *visible* or *different* than something that would come out of Serbia, if you allow me to use that example.

I don't know, many Swedish bands have been popular in the last 30 years, yet I'm not sure everyone knows that they are Swedish here or in my own country. They would probably pass for british or americans in the eyes of many people (who lack curiosity). It's not like their music screams "SWEDEN" or anything. At least not to me !

Conversely, I know many people who are all about music from ex-Yugoslavia, as derivative as it may be (often French or Italian bands try to recreate these sounds), so, to me, these countries' culture have a higher visibility than northern European music, even if northern European music is quite popular, it's just that not everyone knows where it comes from.

But then again, house music was huge in the early 90's and most of these bands were from Belgium. I'm not sure everyone at the time knew were they came from.

I can't think for the life of me of any Italian band that has known international fame by singing in English. For France, I can only think of some dance acts.

On the opposite, bands like Scorpions, ABBA, A-HA, The Hives, etc, have all been popular in their own times, and all were singing in English, so it's not like their country of origin mattered in the first place. It seems however than when some artist from Italy or France or Spain is popular it is also BECAUSE it comes from there and is more similar to some stereotype people might have in their heads outside of Europe.

Sorry, this is mostly about music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 07:43 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,852,688 times
So you're falling into the same trap as Americans. Our music and literature aren't popular in France or Italy -> we don't know them -> they might not exist -> they're probably listening, reading and watching Americans stuff.

You're wrong. We don't try to be like Americans, we don't want to be like Americans, we have no special love for Americans just because we speak English. Our cultures are definitely not American.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So you're falling into the same trap as Americans. Our music and literature aren't popular in France or Italy -> we don't know them -> they might not exist -> they're probably listening, reading and watching Americans stuff.

You're wrong. We don't try to be like Americans, we don't want to be like Americans, we have no special love for Americans just because we speak English. Our cultures are definitely not American.

I'm not saying it does not exist, actually some northern european writers are popular here, I'm a big fan of Kaurismaki, I have already helped set up a show for a finnish punk band years ago, I listen also to music from Denmark, Norway, and I'm currently watching a swedish show. I'd really like to visit all these countries, it's just that they're incredibly expensive for us to visit.

There are certainly distinctive cultures from these countries, it's just that they are less popular (and mostly less known) around here also because of the language used, which makes them less immediately distinctive than something that comes out of Spain, also because we know Spain more than we know Estonia.

I'm just explaining, it does not mean that I take a part in it, does it ?

What we say in France, in regards to Germany for instance, is that they (germans) are much better at replicating trends from the USA than we are. Or, when we do it, we do it badly and usually 5 years later

Old 04-14-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
There are certainly distinctive cultures from these countries, it's just that they are less popular (and mostly less known) around here also because of the language used, which makes them less immediately distinctive than something that comes out of Spain, also because we know Spain more than we know Estonia.
We weren't talking about international fluction, but the strength of the own culture domestically, were we?

Old 04-14-2015, 07:26 AM

I got carried away a bit then, but it seems that some people were already judging local cultures from an outside point of view to begin with.

I can't judge it myself, I have it to see these countries with my own eyes.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I got carried away a bit then, but it seems that some people were already judging local cultures from an outside point of view to begin with.

I can't judge it myself, I have it to see these countries with my own eyes.
Please come! We are definitely not flipping burgers, working ourselves to death, and firing fireworks off a turkey's ass on 4th July while playing american football.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 AM

When I think of travelling up there I think of taking baths in sauna, fighting against mosquitos in the neverending sea of coniferous trees, going to bars watching garage bands, talking about the great winter to come during the 6-week summer.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:39 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,147,804 times
Quote:
Yes I have, thank you, my post actually was an answer to Claudio Claudio's post, I rarely write something out of the loop (unless it is a temperature figure !)

I was just implying, that if for *some* people northern european culture is more similar to the american one (that you can define the way you want) it might be because, overall, the quantity of cultural products produced by northern european countries *might* be less important than the one produced in more populated european countries.

But mostly, the fact that English is more understood / spoken / in the media in northern Europe than it is in Southern / Western Europe (Outside of the UK obviously) renders its cultural products (movies, music, etc) less immediately *visible* or *different* than something that would come out of Serbia, if you allow me to use that example.

I don't know, many Swedish bands have been popular in the last 30 years, yet I'm not sure everyone knows that they are Swedish here or in my own country. They would probably pass for british or americans in the eyes of many people (who lack curiosity). It's not like their music screams "SWEDEN" or anything. At least not to me !

Conversely, I know many people who are all about music from ex-Yugoslavia, as derivative as it may be (often French or Italian bands try to recreate these sounds), so, to me, these countries' culture have a higher visibility than northern European music, even if northern European music is quite popular, it's just that not everyone knows where it comes from.

But then again, house music was huge in the early 90's and most of these bands were from Belgium. I'm not sure everyone at the time knew were they came from.

I can't think for the life of me of any Italian band that has known international fame by singing in English. For France, I can only think of some dance acts.
Eiffel 65!

Even popular in the US!

Old 04-15-2015, 04:28 AM

Right. But what about listenable music ?

Old 04-15-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
When I think of travelling up there I think of taking baths in sauna, fighting against mosquitos in the neverending sea of coniferous trees, going to bars watching garage bands, talking about the great winter to come during the 6-week summer.
Hey hey hey, don't exaggerate! We might get 7-week summers, or even eight! If you come here to the south, the forests are mostly mixed, like 40% deciduous and 60% conifers.

But yes, take your bug spray with you...

Who wouldn't like this?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe