Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,266,344 times

Advertisements

We have The Real Housewives of Cheshire etc except the British shows actually work. The European shows just look and sound daft.

It doesn't work with their languages..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 01:51 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,301,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I know the topic is least pervasive, but one day I was on the flipping through the channels during a summer in Germany when this appeared on the television:

Couldn't believe it! Youtube to see how bad and MTV-pandering it actually is.

Obviously this doesn't generalize the whole country or anything, I just thought it was so effing funny.
I think this actually looks quite german.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:54 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,301,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Those frogs! How dare they value their language? How dare those filthy arrogants sing in their language?!
How dare they insist on speaking their language instead of Anglicising everything?
Pfff, how xenophobic they are.
I guess invading and exploiting half of Africa and other areas in Asia, Polynesia and the carribeans wasn't enough

Old 05-21-2015, 03:25 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,541,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I think this actually looks quite german.
Nononono. You gotta watch it to get it.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:21 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,350,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Nononono. You gotta watch it to get it.
German TV is full of scripted reality. Those shows do have a distinctive German feel to them, quite different to the ones on MTV. They are awful nevertheless.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:00 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,047,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Don't know what you are talking about! I can spot a Polish person a mile away!? Think you've gone a bit loopy there love.
Bollox, you cannot just 'spot a Polish person a mile away!' If that is the case tell me EXACTLY what it is that's different about them and I will tell you if it rings true with the Polish people I work with - oh and please don't call me 'love'.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:58 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Hahaha LOL.

I don't know any British person who thinks like that many understand the differences between the US and the UK. Both Countries are similar but not that similar and California is the least British part of the US anyway why didn't he not move to New England.
It's funny you should say this. A few years ago, I was visiting a friend in Boston, and another friend was staying a hostel downtown. There was an English girl staying there by herself, so our friend invited her to come out with us. She was going on and on about how America was nothing like the stereotypes. Where were the pick up trucks? The fatties? The guns? The ignorant, know-nothings? (We had hours of delightful conversation about world history and world events with her.) I'm sure she would have gotten more of the 'Murica, F Yeah! Experience' if she went to Texas instead. Boston is kind of like the UK with skyscrapers. It's nothing like the California city I grew up in.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:42 AM

228 posts, read 367,927 times
All of them apart from the English-speaking ones like the UK and Ireland

Old 08-06-2015, 03:30 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,047,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofi32 View Post
All of them apart from the English-speaking ones like the UK and Ireland
Surely it's the other way around isn't it? The UK has an incredible pop culture of its own doesn't it!?

Old 08-07-2015, 01:37 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,244,385 times
I've noticed that certain awful byproducts of modern culture such as "reality TV" "pop music" and "fast food" tend to automatically be assumed to be American or a byproduct of American culture. While that is true for fast food to an extent, pop music and reality tv weren't actually started in America. The first "reality" tv show was called Nummer 28 and it was a dutch show and concept of Pop music actually started in Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe