Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:08 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,140,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
better question:

except for Ireland and UK singers, why are americans so close-minded towards European music.

Outside Ireland and UK folks , u are a 1 hit wonder singer if ur lucky in the states if ur from anywhere in Europe.
If you sing in English like Abba, Scorpions, Ace of Base, Roxette, A-ha, etc. you will do OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:37 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,556,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you sing in English like Abba, Scorpions, Ace of Base, Roxette, A-ha, etc. you will do OK.
so true. Sweden and Germany have had some successes, but not lately..

in last decade to 15 years , u only get the 1 hit wonders from non British/Non Irish countries in Europe.

Avicii, TATU come to mind. DHT also (with their cover of a Roxette song)

a-ha only had only one hit in the states back in the 80's. same with Nena.

Same with M2M (another norwegian band) back in late 90's (though Marion Raven did a duet with Meatloaf that was a hit song, so...)

Cascada has had some success with a couple hit songs a few years back, but now they are forgotten in the states

same with Eiffel 65 (which had 2 hit songs and then became mostly forgotten in the states nowadays

Old 06-10-2014, 10:48 AM

545 posts, read 868,177 times
Well, in EDM, electro, techno, etc.. music, Europeans artists are quite successful in the US. It's mostly a language matter. I don't know many European artists being known in countries with different languages either.
50's and 60's US hegemony got the ears of the Europeans used to English songs even if they don't understand anything. Same can't be said about the German language for an Italian for example.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,999,132 times
I think France would fit your description. When I travel to Paris, I don't even bother watching television looking for American issues and culture. Barely any english channels!

Only time I felt like American pop culture was prevalent was with young Africans living in France. Many emulate hip hop stars and American product "knockoffs" like Nike and Adidas.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:57 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
better question:

except for Ireland and UK singers, why are americans so close-minded towards European music.

Outside Ireland and UK folks , u are a 1 hit wonder singer if ur lucky in the states if ur from anywhere in Europe.
I think the answer is that Americans don't take the time to learn other languages.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Well, in EDM, electro, techno, etc.. music, Europeans artists are quite successful in the US. It's mostly a language matter. I don't know many European artists being known in countries with different languages either.
50's and 60's US hegemony got the ears of the Europeans used to English songs even if they don't understand anything. Same can't be said about the German language for an Italian for example.
Yes. It's not a question of Americans saying "we won't listen to these guys because they are Swedish/Romanian/German/whatever", it is more a case of "it's not in English so I won't listen to it".

For a lot of continental European pop outfits that sing in English, probably most Americans don't even know or care which country they are from.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:32 AM

692 posts, read 959,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes. It's not a question of Americans saying "we won't listen to these guys because they are Swedish/Romanian/German/whatever", it is more a case of "it's not in English so I won't listen to it".

For a lot of continental European pop outfits that sing in English, probably most Americans don't even know or care which country they are from.
Very true. For the most part, Americans are generally unaware that you can become a successful musician in a non-Anglophone market. I remember when Kassav' (an Antillais Zouk band) came to NY a while back my friends were shocked when I told them tickets were over 100$ and the venue still sold out months in advance, until I reminded them that we have nearly half a million Haitians and Francophone Africans in the city who grew up listening to their music.

Weirdly it seems to be a strictly American phenomenon too. Listen to top-40 radio in Germany, France, Belgium or Switzerland and you'll likely hear a mix of songs in English, French, German, Italian, etc but here, nope.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:32 AM

301 posts, read 522,273 times
The only European country with large global popular modern culture, is the UK.

The most popular music, movies, television, video games, media, sport, literature etc is all from the UK and USA.

In the decade 2000-2010, Britain was the biggest exporter of culture in the world. it was the first time in fifty years that America didn't win that title. It looks like Britain could do it again this decade too

Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post

In the decade 2000-2010, Britain was the biggest exporter of culture in the world. it was the first time in fifty years that America didn't win that title. It looks like Britain could do it again this decade too
I am not usually one to ask for sources on here but this one is hard to believe. I found one newspaper article that seems to claim this and that's about it.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:50 AM

667 posts, read 942,480 times
In Belarus, Russia and other ex-Soviet lands Russian pop music is quite popular, on par with English-speaking music I think. These Russian pop singers are often criticized for bad taste and lack of talent, but still they are very popular, and on each radio station you get to hear lots of Russian songs.
In Belarus, a few years ago we had a terrible protective law according to which 75 per cent of all music on local radio stations had to be Belarussian (in any language but performed by local singers).
It was criticized a lot and if I am not mistaken, the law was eventually softened. Now these 75 per cent should be broadcast only at some specific periods of time during the day (maybe like 9 hours out of 24).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe