Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 11:23 PM

202 posts, read 224,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Well even in terms of salaries, difference between Russia and Estonia is not so big.
List of European countries by average wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
778 vs. 567 Euros... Is 200 Euros called "galaxy" now?
And salaries in Latvia and Lithuania are pretty much the same as in Russia.

I have checked that stats

Estonia - net salary for 2014 is 1379$
Russia - net salary for 2014 is 746$
Quite a different galaxy.

Moreover I wouldn't take that Russian average salary stats very seriously.

Here is another ranking that shows the difference between these two countries.

List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 04:35 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,123,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE2 View Post
Got a question here due to the tension between Russia and Ukrainian/EU/US recently. As we know,
a lot of ethnic Russians lived and worked in other USSR Republics other than Russia during USSR
era. After USSR was dissolved, many ethnic Russians still live and work in those former USSR
Republics such as those central Republics, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Estonia, Ukrainian, etc. I am wondering how those ethnic Russians consider their national identities while living in a country where
the majorities are not Russian anymore. I learned many Russians returned to Russia from those Central
Asian Republics but still lots of ethnic Russians stay and achieve foreign citizenship other than Russian's
passport. I am wondering why those Russians did not go back to Russia where, obviously, has much
better living condition and more opportunities than those Central Asian Republics??? Same questions
for those Ukrainians living in those Central Asian Republics. What made them stay instead moved back
to their original 'motherland'????

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
If say about Central Asia many want to move to Russia and they do this, but other feel comfortable enough there. Situation depends of certain country. In baltic countries russians are considered as second rate people by local laws, they are limited in civil rights. It's a real fascism. Situation in CA is different. Yes, there is still nationalism there, but it's not powerful enough to determine state policy. If you ask any russian there if he wants to move to Russia he answers "To what?".

Old 10-08-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE2 View Post
Back to this question, Can those ethnic Russians born in Tajikistan claim Tajikistan home or home country???
Maybe it's hard to understand but a russian boy born in Tajikstan or another CA country call it his motherland, but Russia is a second motherland for him. I think you can't understand because your place of birth and native country is the same country.

And about language they speak. All in CA speak Russian except minority from deep regions. So it's not a problem. And some russians can speak local languages.

Last edited by Atai J.; 10-08-2014 at 05:21 AM..

Old 10-08-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
So a lot of Russians who'd LOVED to leave Asian republics simply couldn't afford to move their families to Russia.
Maybe, but not in all cases. There are a lot of rich and succeful russian men and women which just don't want to leave because they haven't reasons for it.

And there is an interesting thing. If take people which leaved CA countries then half of them are native and another half are russians. So these people, no matter what nationality they are, leave their countries because of financial reasons not sentimental.

Last edited by Atai J.; 10-08-2014 at 05:11 AM..

Old 10-08-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I also think that in Central Asia, Russian mostly live in capitals or other big cities where they don't really stand out, where speaking Russian is still rather common and where they can afford a more or less comfortable life.
I think there are few Russians in small towns or villages in, say,Kyrgyzstan or Tajikistan.
You are right. Most of russians live in few biggest cities and villages.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:51 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,839,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
If say about Central Asia many want to move to Russia and they do this, but other feel comfortable enough there. Situation depends of certain country. In baltic countries russians are considered as second rate people by local laws, they are limited in civil rights. It's a real fascism. Situation in CA is different. Yes, there is still nationalism there, but it's not powerful enough to determine state policy. If you ask any russian there if he wants to move to Russia he answers "To what?".
How do you know, have you been to the Baltics? Or do you get your "info" from Russian media alone? How are their civil rights limited? Laws consider Russians second rate people? What is this...

If this what you said would in a mysterious way resemble anything close to the reality then why don't they move to the fascist free country of Russia

Old 10-08-2014, 06:13 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,612 times
As far as I know, in Latvia 10 years ago, 40 percent of Russians already had a citizenship and so the full rights (don't know about Estonia). Not so bad.

At the same time the decision to give the citizenship only to those, who were the citizens in the inter-war period is very controversial. People, who move there after the war, did it on the direct command and participated in the rebuilding of these countries, that were looted by Nazis (Nazis for example destroyed all factories in Riga and in Estonia Nazis looted the important Estonian museums). Yet, these countries were rebuilt not on the principles that Estonians and Latvians wanted. Probably, if they weren't annexed, they got Marshall plan help or something like that.

As far as I know, people who don't have the citizenship have some rights and don't have the other rights.

In Estonia people, who don't have the citizenship have a right to vote in municipal elections. If it is so, it's quite progressive.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:02 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
I have checked that stats

Estonia - net salary for 2014 is 1379$
Russia - net salary for 2014 is 746$
Quite a different galaxy.
There's an error with the Estonia number, looks like someone multiplied gross salary by the 1.37 exchange rate, not net salary. The correct number is 778 * 1.37 = 1066$. Still higher of course.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:17 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
As far as I know, in Latvia 10 years ago, 40 percent of Russians already had a citizenship and so the full rights (don't know about Estonia). Not so bad.

I am generally quite supportive of the language measures (even the less popular ones) taken by the Baltic countries, but I am not sure that a situation where 60% of a given population that was almost all born in the country, finds itself without citizenship in the country of their birth (and often without citizenship of any country at all and therefore stateless "personas non grata") can be qualified as "not so bad".

Old 10-09-2014, 01:20 AM

667 posts, read 941,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post

And about language they speak. All in CA speak Russian except minority from deep regions. So it's not a problem. And some russians can speak local languages.
In your experience, how often do CA native people use Russian as their first language? I mean, for example, you live in Bishkek -- do you mostly hear Kyrgyz or Russian there? What about other CA cities/countries? I know in Kazakhstan Russian is very common, even predominant actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe