Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:23 AM

667 posts, read 943,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
There's an error with the Estonia number, looks like someone multiplied gross salary by the 1.37 exchange rate, not net salary. The correct number is 778 * 1.37 = 1066$. Still higher of course.
but it's not a different galaxy. The difference is in the image of Russia and Estonia in the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 03:45 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,127,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
In your experience, how often do CA native people use Russian as their first language? I mean, for example, you live in Bishkek -- do you mostly hear Kyrgyz or Russian there? What about other CA cities/countries? I know in Kazakhstan Russian is very common, even predominant actually.
In villages kyrgyzs speak Kyrgyz mostly. In big towns and in the capital 50/50. People who always lived in the capital tend to speak Russian mostly and many of them even don't speak Kyrgyz. Those who speak Russian badly learn it because speaking Russian is necessary for finding job especially in Russia or Kazakhstan.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:06 AM

667 posts, read 943,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
In villages kyrgyzs speak Kyrgyz mostly. In big towns and in the capital 50/50. People who always lived in the capital tend to speak Russian mostly and many of them even don't speak Kyrgyz. Those who speak Russian badly learn it because speaking Russian is necessary for finding job especially in Russia or Kazakhstan.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
What about Uzbekistan, Tajikistan or Turkmenistan? How is the situation there, do you have any idea?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:39 AM

121 posts, read 390,132 times
I dunno for Tajikistan, Uzbekistan... but most of Northern Kazakhstan was always inhabited by ethnic Russians. Only the Southern part of the country is the historical Kazakhstan. The soviets added many Russian Slavic oblasts to it. They did the same in Ukraine with Crimea and Donestk/Lugansk.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
How do you know, have you been to the Baltics? Or do you get your "info" from Russian media alone? How are their civil rights limited? Laws consider Russians second rate people? What is this...

If this what you said would in a mysterious way resemble anything close to the reality then why don't they move to the fascist free country of Russia
Here not-Russian propaganda for you:

Meanwhile, a party backed by ethnic Russians remained the single biggest in parliamentarian elections in Latvia this weekend, with 23 percent of the vote, but gained less than in previous elections and will not enter government.

The “Harmony” party, led by the mayor of Riga, could have been even bigger were it not that 280,000 Russian-speakers in the country are “non-citizens” with special passports without voting rights.

Ukraine's Fragile Truce Is Thin Veneer For Uneasy Truth - Forbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
What about Uzbekistan, Tajikistan or Turkmenistan? How is the situation there, do you have any idea?
Unfortunately, I have never been there. But as I know there is the same situation in these countries, maybe a little worse. There was the civil war in Tajikstan, many people, not only Russians, leaved the country. Turkmenistan is a very closed country with dictatorship like in Uzbekistan too.

Last edited by Atai J.; 10-09-2014 at 11:08 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 11:40 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,878,901 times
Quote:
Here not-Russian propaganda for you:

Meanwhile, a party backed by ethnic Russians remained the single biggest in parliamentarian elections in Latvia this weekend, with 23 percent of the vote, but gained less than in previous elections and will not enter government.

The “Harmony” party, led by the mayor of Riga, could have been even bigger were it not that 280,000 Russian-speakers in the country are “non-citizens” with special passports without voting rights.

Ukraine's Fragile Truce Is Thin Veneer For Uneasy Truth - Forbes

Unfortunately, I have never been there. But as I know there is the same situation in these countries, maybe a little worse. There was the civil war in Tajikstan, many people, not only Russians, leaved the country. Turkmenistan is a very closed country with dictatorship like in Uzbekistan too.
My understanding is that in the Baltic states, the only thing preventing ethnic Russians from getting citizenship is their lack of sufficient knowledge of the local language. That's not an unreasonable demand for citizenship. The Baltic and Slavic languages are close enough that it couldn't be too hard to learn enough Latvian or Lithuanian to pass a citizenship-related language test, could it? It would be easier for a Russian to learn one of those than it would be for most Westerners.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
My understanding is that in the Baltic states, the only thing preventing ethnic Russians from getting citizenship is their lack of sufficient knowledge of the local language. That's not an unreasonable demand for citizenship. The Baltic and Slavic languages are close enough that it couldn't be too hard to learn enough Latvian or Lithuanian to pass a citizenship-related language test, could it? It would be easier for a Russian to learn one of those than it would be for most Westerners.
Why in wild CA republics you can not to speak local language but still be a sitizen of this country? Why wild central asian parliaments don't pass fascist laws? Why in wild Kyrgyzstan Russian language is the second official language?

Old 10-09-2014, 11:55 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,878,901 times
Quote:
Why in wild CA republics you can not to speak local language but still be a sitizen of this country? Why wild central asian parliaments don't pass fascist laws? Why in wild Kyrgyzstan Russian language is the second official language?
Every nation has the right to set standards for citizenship. Why is it such a big deal to learn the language? The US requires knowledge of basic English for immigrants to gain citizenship. This is perfectly normal. You should ask the governments in Central Asia why they don't care whether their citizens can speak the local language.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Every nation has the right to set standards for citizenship. Why is it such a big deal to learn the language? The US requires knowledge of basic English for immigrants to gain citizenship. This is perfectly normal. You should ask the governments in Central Asia why they don't care whether their citizens can speak the local language.
Difference is that these people have lived all their life there and hadn't problems with lack of knowledge of the local language. Canada has two offical languages, Switzerland - four, Kyrgyzia - two, as I said. Why Baltic states are different?

But problem isn't about knowledge of the language. If a persons's ancestors lived in Latvia or Estonia before 1940 he has right for citizenship, if not - he hasn't. It's segregation.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:04 AM

26,861 posts, read 22,700,806 times
Quote:
No, as far as I know it's not a case - those languages are as difficult for Russians to learn as it is for the Westerners. Baltic languages are not related to Russian at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe