Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:00 AM

25 posts, read 42,680 times

Advertisements

Got a question here due to the tension between Russia and Ukrainian/EU/US recently. As we know,
a lot of ethnic Russians lived and worked in other USSR Republics other than Russia during USSR
era. After USSR was dissolved, many ethnic Russians still live and work in those former USSR
Republics such as those central Republics, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Estonia, Ukrainian, etc. I am wondering how those ethnic Russians consider their national identities while living in a country where
the majorities are not Russian anymore. I learned many Russians returned to Russia from those Central
Asian Republics but still lots of ethnic Russians stay and achieve foreign citizenship other than Russian's
passport. I am wondering why those Russians did not go back to Russia where, obviously, has much
better living condition and more opportunities than those Central Asian Republics??? Same questions
for those Ukrainians living in those Central Asian Republics. What made them stay instead moved back
to their original 'motherland'????

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 02:20 AM

202 posts, read 225,519 times
I can assure you that living standard in Estonia is galaxy far from Russian one.

Thankfully my country did not belong to that Soviet hole but In my oppinion Russians always stay Russians no matter where they live. We have few exemplars here in Czech / Slovakia and they behave like Russians even after a 20 years of living here, they are still aggressive drunkards, they consider themselves Russian. I think those countries with significant Russian minority can expect similar scenario that is happening now in Ukraine.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:40 AM

Thank you for your reply. But I still feel confused about why so many ethnic Russians stay
in those Central Asian Republics where the living standard is definitely lower than Russia.
What made those ethnic Russians stay and get citizenship other than Russian Federation's?

Thanks,

Old 10-06-2014, 04:21 AM

990 posts, read 1,948,959 times
As far as I'm concerned most ethnic Russians considers their national identity as Russian regardlessly of where they live. Usually they don't even bother learning the language, most Russians in Estonia for example can't speak Estonian.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:43 AM

251 posts, read 398,017 times
Belarus is pretty much Russia junior. Majority of people there even speak Russian instead of Belorussian language.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:45 AM

847 posts, read 1,183,531 times
MagnusPetersson
I guess most Russians, who live in the USA speak English well, especially those younger, who work in IT companies.

As for Estonia and Latvia. Well, the mayor of Riga is Russian and he speaks Latvian very well (and elementary Swedish). The younger people will learn it sooner or later.

BEE2
In fact a lot of my fellow countrymen left Central Asia, especially during the Civil War in Tajikistan. It was a tragedy, barely unnoticed by our European friends.

Last edited by Muscovite; 10-06-2014 at 05:03 AM..

Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 AM

Thank you everyone for your reply. No one cannot answer my question yet: why those ethnic Russians stay in those Central Asian Republics and get their citizenship where the living standard is much lower than Russia's?

That is my question.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:16 AM

847 posts, read 1,183,531 times
Well,some people might have relatives there via marriage and so on. Besides, they may have real estate there. If they move here they will have to pay for the rent of a flat. Or for a half of a room in a single-room flat.

If you live somewhere and have a flat there, probably it's better for you to stay, not to move.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:34 AM

But during USSR era, there was no private ownership, wasn't it? Compared citizenship with a flat, which is more important for the future?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:54 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,895,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE2 View Post
Got a question here due to the tension between Russia and Ukrainian/EU/US recently. As we know,
a lot of ethnic Russians lived and worked in other USSR Republics other than Russia during USSR
era. After USSR was dissolved, many ethnic Russians still live and work in those former USSR
Republics such as those central Republics, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Estonia, Ukrainian, etc. I am wondering how those ethnic Russians consider their national identities while living in a country where
the majorities are not Russian anymore. I learned many Russians returned to Russia from those Central
Asian Republics but still lots of ethnic Russians stay and achieve foreign citizenship other than Russian's
passport. I am wondering why those Russians did not go back to Russia where, obviously, has much
better living condition and more opportunities than those Central Asian Republics??? Same questions
for those Ukrainians living in those Central Asian Republics. What made them stay instead moved back
to their original 'motherland'????

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
"I am wondering why those Russians did not go back to Russia where, obviously, has much
better living condition and more opportunities than those Central Asian Republics???"

It is called "roots", many were very established in those places when the USSR fell, many could trace their families being there to tsarist times and at least to the very early Soviet period. When the USSR fell, there was not the realization those countries would become the garbage holes they are today, no one was thinking that the ethnic central Asians would set out to reverse progress set by the USSR. Now days you go to Central Asia, with the exception of parts of Kazakhstan, you will hardly see any Russians, it is very noticeable even the past ten years.

"Same questions for those Ukrainians living in those Central Asian Republics. What made them stay instead moved back to their original 'motherland'????"

Same reason as above.

"I am wondering how those ethnic Russians consider their national identities while living in a country where the majorities are not Russian anymore."

The same way every other nationality does in any country they are in; look at the US for example, numerous ethnic events in many cities, as well as the ethnic tags like "Chinese-American".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe