Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 06:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,195,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Pizza Hut is indeed pretty expensive in Germany, just like many other imported American things. Just go to a local, Italian restaurant and you're not only going to find cheaper, but also much better pizza. Going to Pizza Hut is not worth it, in my opinion. It also seems like Pizza Hut in Europe is very different from Pizza Hut in the US.
Oh, I totally agree. Besides costing me an arm and a leg the ONE time I went there in the three years we lived right across from it, the whole ridiculously expensive venture was disappointing because alas....it was nothing "like home," and after two years "in country" I was really yearning for a little taste of home.

Thankfully, there was also a great little Italian restaurant nearby that was always fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 07:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,875,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I posted the menu. The average price of a large Pizza Hut pizza in Darmstadt, Germany (I have no idea if the prices are standard everywhere) is significantly higher than 10 Euros. There are a few at 10,90 but most of them are 15,40. Cheesy crusts are 18,40 to 20,40. By the way, for comparison (so you can see the sticker shock for an American) that comes to a bit over $19 to $25.28. For ONE PIZZA????? My gosh!
http://www.pizzahut.de/fileadmin/dat...ten/575_de.pdf

The very same pizza in my town costs $12.99 - 10,48 Euros.
https://order.pizzahut.com/locations/texas/tyler/011493

So yes, "a slice of home" is apparently very expensive (and it wasn't worth it to me - I only ate there the one time and vowed never to darken their door again!).

You asked, by the way, how large the large pizzas are. Not sure where you're talking about. Since I was in a state of shock on my one trip to a Pizza Hut in Germany, I really don't recall. I can tell you that here, a large pizza at PH is 14" in diameter. http://www.pizzahut.com/assets/w/nut...INAL111314.pdf

I know we're beating a dead horse here, by the way. LOL we're talking about current prices of pizza in Germany grousing about prices in Switzerland but...I think most people know that Switzerland's prices are extremely high - and would generally be higher than in Germany. In fact...let's just look!....

Oh, my....no Pizza Huts in Switzerland.
Pizza Hut Switzerland packs up its bags | neurope.eu
Fair enough. Pizza Hut seems to be some kind of a phony "upscale" pizza place and charge the double just for the brand name, and is not representative for the scene but an exception.

The regular rucola pizza seems to be €12.40 here except for lunch time, and I would never pay that price.

14 inches... AAARGH this imperial system. Ok, 35.6 cm it is. That is pretty much the average size of a pizza here. As VU and I mentioned, you can get a ghetto pizza for €5 or 6, so why bother to pay the double for a bit more "high end" pizza which is theory the same thing? (In Finland you shouldn't buy a pizza below €6, though, as that is a guarantee that the restaurant don't pay all the taxes required.)

Old 11-23-2014, 07:15 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,956,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ View Post
For those of you interested, next Saturday is the "ecopop" vote where they want to restrict immigration even further to no more than 0.2% per year of the current population. They already had a similar vote (though not as extreme) which narrowly passed on the 9th of February this year. The Swiss government is very concerned and urging people not to vote for ecopop.

If this vote were to pass (and it looks to be very close), that will be the end of the Swiss economy. Switzerland depends on foreigners and international companies for its economy. If the vote passes most of the international companies will leave and go elsewhere, because they won't be able to employ enough staff with required skills.

This isn't even factoring in the consequences of how the EU will react with the bilateral agreements.

So basically the future of Switzerland lies in this vote next Saturday. I have a feeling the Swiss will end up destroying themselves out of xenophobia and racism.
22.5% of the Swiss population is non-Swiss.

So definitely xenophobic and racist.

Swiss Statistics - Population with a migration background

Old 11-23-2014, 07:16 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,956,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Pizza Hut is indeed pretty expensive in Germany, just like many other imported American things. Just go to a local, Italian restaurant and you're not only going to find cheaper, but also much better pizza. Going to Pizza Hut is not worth it, in my opinion. It also seems like Pizza Hut in Europe is very different from Pizza Hut in the US.
Pizza Hut in Geneva - of which there were two - was forced out of business. Could not compete with the much better and cheaper Italian pizza places.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Fair enough. Pizza Hut seems to be some kind of a phony "upscale" pizza place and charge the double just for the brand name, and is not representative for the scene but an exception.

The regular rucola pizza seems to be €12.40 here except for lunch time, and I would never pay that price.

14 inches... AAARGH this imperial system. Ok, 35.6 cm it is. That is pretty much the average size of a pizza here. As VU and I mentioned, you can get a ghetto pizza for €5 or 6, so why bother to pay the double for a bit more "high end" pizza which is theory the same thing? (In Finland you shouldn't buy a pizza below €6, though, as that is a guarantee that the restaurant don't pay all the taxes required.)
Look, I'm not saying it's hard to find good pizza in Europe for less. That wasn't even my point. All I was doing was discussing a real event in my real life and some people on this thread apparently didn't believe me, so I was trying to verify the experience as best I could.

The best Italian food in Europe is, well, made by Italians.

That being said, Pizza Hut pizza in the US is dang good - and a LOT more affordable here than in Europe! But I don't really care, since when I go on vacation in Europe I'm really not wanting to eat at Pizza Hut. But I had been living there for several years at the time and just was yearning for a taste of home.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:30 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You asked, by the way, how large the large pizzas are. Not sure where you're talking about. Since I was in a state of shock on my one trip to a Pizza Hut in Germany, I really don't recall. I can tell you that here, a large pizza at PH is 14" in diameter. http://www.pizzahut.com/assets/w/nut...INAL111314.pdf
Well, the German menu says that normal sized pizzas cost 9-12€ and a large one 15-17€. Now, I only went to Pizza Hut once or twice, so I really don't know how big each of them are. If the normal sized is pretty much like every other pizza in Europe, I'd consider that a fair prize.

Anyhow, a pretty low quality pizza in Zürich is CHF20.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, the German menu says that normal sized pizzas cost 9-12€ and a large one 15-17€. Now, I only went to Pizza Hut once or twice, so I really don't know how big each of them are. If the normal sized is pretty much like every other pizza in Europe, I'd consider that a fair prize.

Anyhow, a pretty low quality pizza in Zürich is CHF20.
To give another real life example (aka a "personal anecdote" - LOL) my husband and I just ordered two medium hand tossed crust supreme pizzas from Pizza Hut the other day when we had the grandkids over, and the bill was about $22. The same order would have been $28 in Germany. That's about 25 percent higher. Now I realize we're talking about Pizza Hut and not other restaurants, which is an American company operating in Europe so it's not like we're talking about going down to the great little Italian place on the corner and getting fabulous pizza, but I was talking about the shock of the difference in price - that's all.

Pizza Hut here is considered fast, cheap and good, but it's not considered true Italian food. It's just fast food. We do, however, have some really cheapo places with much lower prices than Pizza Hut. Blech!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:55 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,426,921 times
As a New Yorker, I consider Pizza Hut some kind of foreign dreck. Just my opinion.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:19 AM

73 posts, read 156,640 times
wow, are you guys still arguing over pizza?

Old 11-23-2014, 11:09 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,875,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by istj View Post
wow, are you guys still arguing over pizza?
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe