Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 12:52 PM

321 posts, read 402,942 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I am enjoying this thread very much, as I have never been to Switzerland but living in Northern Italy I am very curious about this unique country very near but also very different.

To sum up what I learned from reading first-hand experience here, it looks like Switzerland is a very beautiful country marred by a populace too strict-minded and xenophobic.

Now living at the foot of the Alps I am well aware that people living in valleys up in the mountains, even in Italy, tend to have a narrower and more xenophobic mindset. It is no secret that many valley-dwellers here vote for the anti-immigrant and borderline racist Lega Nord party.

But something does not add up here. These racist people in Italy are our "white trash", i.e. they are the lower-income, uneducated less successful people. So how comes that Switzerland is SO successful a country even if the Swiss are xenophobic mountain people? Mind that the Swiss economy is in NO WAY based solely on its thriving banks. Switzerland has plenty of multinational companies doing business in many different industries, for more info read here: Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My guess is that its pro-capitalist Calvinist roots coupled with the unique system of government really do help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 01:44 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,368,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
My guess is that its pro-capitalist Calvinist roots coupled with the unique system of government really do help.
Only a small portion of the population is Calvinist. Protestants only make up 26.9% of the population and are further divided into other subgroups. 38.2% are Catholic. Historically it used to be an almost even split.

Also, the "unique system of government" (some elements of direct democracy) is usually targeting the foundations of the Swiss economy. Namely: lax banking laws, a corporate friendly tax regime and tourism.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,405,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
HMind that the Swiss economy is in NO WAY based solely on its thriving banks.
No country is solely based on any one industry, but yeah, Switzerland's main economic driver is its banks, which are subjected to limited regulatory oversight.

And many non-banking companies are still essentially domiciled in Switzerland for the protective regulatory environment. Nestle is in Switzerland and not the U.S./U.K. even though it has more divisions and employees in those places because the regulatory environment is looser in Switzerland (for example, it's much harder to sue Nestle in Switzerland, corporate taxes are much lower, and there are stronger laws on corporate privacy and non-disclosure).

Old 11-23-2014, 01:59 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,405,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That being said, Pizza Hut pizza in the US is dang good - and a LOT more affordable here than in Europe!
I wouldn't feed pizza hut pizza to a dog on the street. It's horrible, even for low quality fast-food pizza.

Why are we discussing we discussing garbage fast food pizza in a thread on Switzerland?

Old 11-23-2014, 02:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No country is solely based on any one industry, but yeah, Switzerland's main economic driver is its banks, which are subjected to limited regulatory oversight.

And many non-banking companies are still essentially domiciled in Switzerland for the protective regulatory environment. Nestle is in Switzerland and not the U.S./U.K. even though it has more divisions and employees in those places because the regulatory environment is looser in Switzerland (for example, it's much harder to sue Nestle in Switzerland, corporate taxes are much lower, and there are stronger laws on corporate privacy and non-disclosure).
Not really.

Nestle, Roche, Novartis, ABB, Swiss Re. and Zurich Insurance are all world leaders in their industry. The two world class banks are UBS and Credit Suisse. In addition, Switzerland has a very strong watch industry based around the Swatch Group and higher end brands like Rolex. There is also a very successful high precision engineering sector.

Nestle is, and always has been, a Swiss company in the same way that Kraft is a US company even though it has more divisions and employees outside the USA.

It is true that Switzerland has a business-friendly regulatory and tax environment. If that helps drive high salary, high employment then maybe we should try it.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:15 PM

102,373 posts, read 108,666,141 times
Quote:
I wouldn't feed pizza hut pizza to a dog on the street. It's horrible, even for low quality fast-food pizza.

Why are we discussing we discussing garbage fast food pizza in a thread on Switzerland?
LOL! It started as a discussion on the high cost of living in Switzerland, and the astronomical cost of restaurant food, as an example.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,393,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ View Post
wow, are you guys still arguing over pizza?
Yeah, that was sort of a crazy run. But "I don't much cotton to them that calls me a liar."

Old 11-23-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Heck if I know.

I don't even LIKE pizza so I am certainly no pizza expert. I only eat it about 4 times a year. When I do, it's usually from Pizza Hut and we've usually ordered it to be delivered because we unexpectedly had a bunch of people show up at our house.

So no - I wouldn't know a good pizza if I saw one - but I do know when a pizza costs WAYYYYY too much!

Old 11-24-2014, 12:23 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,918,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To give another real life example (aka a "personal anecdote" - LOL) my husband and I just ordered two medium hand tossed crust supreme pizzas from Pizza Hut the other day when we had the grandkids over, and the bill was about $22. The same order would have been $28 in Germany. That's about 25 percent higher. Now I realize we're talking about Pizza Hut and not other restaurants, which is an American company operating in Europe so it's not like we're talking about going down to the great little Italian place on the corner and getting fabulous pizza, but I was talking about the shock of the difference in price - that's all.

Pizza Hut here is considered fast, cheap and good, but it's not considered true Italian food. It's just fast food. We do, however, have some really cheapo places with much lower prices than Pizza Hut. Blech!
Yes, and though I said it's hard to believe the prices, it was a figure of speech, I do believe you if you say so. The only problem I'm having is that you take an American franchise chain as an example of the price level in European countries. A franchise has fixed prices by country, so it's not even free market.
Meanwhile, you could phone Kemal and Ãœmit and they make you two pizzas for the price of one Pizza Hut pizza. That's the real price level.

I consider myself an expert on the subject, not franchising but pizza, and I would not pay $28 for two medium pizzas at Pizza Hut, as the quality does not reflect the price compared to other pizza places. I would bring my business to Kemal and Ãœmit, and as I frequently go there, I could even barter a couple $, something that is impossible at Pizza Hut.

But ok, I think this pizza thing has been beaten to death.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, and though I said it's hard to believe the prices, it was a figure of speech, I do believe you if you say so. The only problem I'm having is that you take an American franchise chain as an example of the price level in European countries. A franchise has fixed prices by country, so it's not even free market.
Meanwhile, you could phone Kemal and Ãœmit and they make you two pizzas for the price of one Pizza Hut pizza. That's the real price level.

I consider myself an expert on the subject, not franchising but pizza, and I would not pay $28 for two medium pizzas at Pizza Hut, as the quality does not reflect the price compared to other pizza places. I would bring my business to Kemal and Ãœmit, and as I frequently go there, I could even barter a couple $, something that is impossible at Pizza Hut.

But ok, I think this pizza thing has been beaten to death.
LOL I totally agree! I also agree with not paying $28 for two pizzas at Pizza Hut. Anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe