Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:54 PM

80 posts, read 162,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The stereotypical German is blonde, blue-eyed and a fair skin and is from northern regions of Germany. This image as you've said were re-enforced by movies as you've said, the Nazi regime, etc...
There's your stereotypical German with his pure blonde hair and fair skin.
http://mediadb.kicker.de/1996/fussba...9154539943.jpg
Nevertheless the majority are nowhere close, rather brown-haired with light to medium eye color on average. Germans are by no means any different from eastern and northern French, Flemish, Dutch, British and Irish people depending on which region of Germany most of their ancestors came from. When I was in Germany, many thought I was a northern German, with my red hair, freckles, you know. There all kinds of Germans.

I thought you were auburn headed. ( true actual color red hair doesn't exist. ginger hair ranges from auburn, light orange to dark orange not red)

I have blonde hair but a ginger beard.

ginger beard is common among us northern Europeans instead of black beards like eastern and southern Europeans.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:04 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICELANDICVIKING View Post
I thought you were auburn headed. ( true actual color red hair doesn't exist. ginger hair ranges from auburn, light orange to dark orange not red)

I have blonde hair but a ginger beard.

ginger beard is common among us northern Europeans instead of black beards like eastern and southern Europeans.
Red hair doesn't exist? Are you O.K.? It's called red hair, because it is close to the red colour and there are different variations of reds too. Orange hair is also grouped with red hair. Pheomelanin is red, depending how much of it is in your hair, will affect how red your hair colour will be.
This Irish rugby player;

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...20full%20image.

This model from Bristol, England has deep dark red hair;
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...y%20Forums&txt

I would call my own red hair colour, more of a light auburn. Yes, it is true that many blonde-headed Northern Europeans have reddish facial hair like you. That's why I call people like that " semi gingers"

Old 01-17-2015, 09:01 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
The stereotypical German is blonde, blue-eyed and a fair skin and is from northern regions of Germany. This image as you've said were re-enforced by movies as you've said, the Nazi regime, etc...
There's your stereotypical German with his pure blonde hair and fair skin.
http://mediadb.kicker.de/1996/fussba...9154539943.jpg
Nevertheless the majority are nowhere close, rather brown-haired with light to medium eye color on average. Germans are by no means any different from eastern and northern French, Flemish, Dutch, British and Irish people depending on which region of Germany most of their ancestors came from. When I was in Germany, many thought I was a northern German, with my red hair, freckles, you know. There all kinds of Germans.
When I go to the north of Germany, natives also know I am not from there, just by looking at me.

Quote:
True, the vast majority of Southern European are hardly blonde-haired or truly red-haired (as I am). Some may have a complex of inferiority, when approaching a tall red-headed person like me (I am 6ft 5inches). Nevertheless, hair colour is just hair colour. In my opinion, some of the most good-looking woman, I have ever seen were among dark-haired, dark-eyed Italian and Spanish women.

In my case I would say that 9/10 good-looking women are the dark type, but they are often subtle beauties, their colors simply don't strike out, so you have to look closer.

Inferiority complex because of height and red hair? I have never observed that, not even here in Portugal, where people's self-esteem is not as strong as in neighboring Spain. After all, the younger Portuguese are about as tall on average as people in central Europe, the time when they were shorter because of poor nutrition are long gone. You will only find that in old people. Young people here are often clearly taller than I am, even women. And red hair doesn't impress anyone here, unlike blond to a certain extent. Red hair is not really appreciated here, just like it is not appreciated in most of Germany. I remember a red-haired classmate at school, they used to tease that poor guy so much.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Red hair doesn't exist? Are you O.K.? It's called red hair, because it is close to the red colour and there are different variations of reds too. Orange hair is also grouped with red hair. Pheomelanin is red, depending how much of it is in your hair, will affect how red your hair colour will be.
This Irish rugby player;

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...20full%20image.

This model from Bristol, England has deep dark red hair;
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...y%20Forums&txt

I would call my own red hair colour, more of a light auburn. Yes, it is true that many blonde-headed Northern Europeans have reddish facial hair like you. That's why I call people like that " semi gingers"

my mustache is blonde while my beards is "Red". I have type I but I don't have freckles. freckles are associated with gingers. In Iceland 5- 6 percent are gingers and blonde hair is very common, (50 percent of population is blonde).

I am also tall 6 feet 6 inches and 1/4. which people consider really tall outside of northern Europe.
That probably the Viking in you and I

Old 01-18-2015, 04:43 AM

42 posts, read 67,343 times
Dyed blondes a lot :P

Old 01-18-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
my mustache is blonde while my beards is "Red". I have type I but I don't have freckles. freckles are associated with gingers. In Iceland 5- 6 percent are gingers and blonde hair is very common, (50 percent of population is blonde).

I am also tall 6 feet 6 inches and 1/4. which people consider really tall outside of northern Europe.
50%? Perhaps if you included the very dark blonde shades as well, you will easily reach that figure, but for pure blonde hair is not even 50% of the Norwegian or Swedish populations. The high frequency of red, reddish hair has often been linked to the Celtic genes mainly brought by the wives and concubines and slaves of the Norse people who settled Iceland more than a 1,000 years ago. Iceland has most likely a higher frequency of red hair than all the other Scandinavian countries, only one region of Norway has about the same frequency of red hair. The women and slaves mainly came from places in Scotland and Ireland. There are also additionally many brown/dark brown-haired males from the British Isles who have a reddish beard, especially amongst the Scottish, Irish and Welsh. You are 6ft 6&1/4 in centimeters it's 201.9, that above average anywhere, even in Northern Europe! The average Viking warrior was not tall as we are, he was around 5 feet and 8 inches/ 176.7cm. This height comparatively to other European was pretty tall, but the high stature of modern Northern Europeans is more linked to nutrition and better standards of living than anything. There are other tribes in Africa ( Dinka, Nuer, Watutsi, Shilluk, Masaai, etc...), who had mugh higher average statures than Europeans, but perhaps today are more prone to malnutrition, lower standards of living, diseases which mainly are also linked to civil wars going on over there.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
When I go to the north of Germany, natives also know I am not from there, just by looking at me.

In my case I would say that 9/10 good-looking women are the dark type, but they are often subtle beauties, their colors simply don't strike out, so you have to look closer.

Inferiority complex because of height and red hair? I have never observed that, not even here in Portugal, where people's self-esteem is not as strong as in neighboring Spain. After all, the younger Portuguese are about as tall on average as people in central Europe, the time when they were shorter because of poor nutrition are long gone. You will only find that in old people. Young people here are often clearly taller than I am, even women. And red hair doesn't impress anyone here, unlike blond to a certain extent. Red hair is not really appreciated here, just like it is not appreciated in most of Germany. I remember a red-haired classmate at school, they used to tease that poor guy so much.
No I didn't say that they preferred red hair over blonde, but showed a complex inferiority, especially a truly red-haired showed up, because knowing for sure that the person was most likely not from there and was from Northern/Central Europe. This is the feeling I personally got from them and most people would automatically switch from their Spanish or Italian language immediately to English when addressing me without me even saying a word. I was quite surprised! In most places, I was taller than the majority, once in a while one tall would come around. Most people are of medium to relatively short height and small-bodied.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Over-all 3% of both Norwegian and Swedish populations can be called "gingers" or red-heads, an additional 80% of Norwegians and 68% of Swedish folks have hair colour which is lighter than dark brown and black hair. Most Icelanders, I would say (well over 50%) have dark blonde and light brown hair.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:15 PM

363 posts, read 480,055 times
Quote:
Over-all 3% of both Norwegian and Swedish populations can be called "gingers" or red-heads, an additional 80% of Norwegians and 68% of Swedish folks have hair colour which is lighter than dark brown and black hair. Most Icelanders, I would say (well over 50%) have dark blonde and light brown hair.
Dayym I guess am not a real norwegian then Only 17% of my countrymen have the same hair color

Last edited by Tjua; 01-18-2015 at 01:32 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:

25% of Icelanders are medium to light blonde.

30% have dirty or dark blonde hair

25% have light brown hair

5% with red hair

which is 90% percent and 10% with dark brown.

I would know since I live in Iceland we have a small population. under 330,000 (98% are Scandinavian- Danes , swedes and Norwegians which are 5-7% and Icelanders at 91-93%) the other 2% would be Germans and poles.

Red hair is 10-11% in both Scotland and Ireland 33% are carriers so 43% of them have atleast one ginger gene. type 1 and type 2 is 43% of the population because of the ginger gene while another 10 percent would be type 2 so 53 percent type 1 and 2. When I went to Ireland the studies were right about 10% red hair and 33% carrier 53% type 1 and 2 (25-30% type 1 30% type 2) 47% type III. many studies only include a small amount and don't show the population as a whole like one study that said the Scottish were 18% ginger when it's actually about 11%

Last edited by ICELANDICVIKING; 01-18-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe