Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 12:03 AM

109 posts, read 235,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
So what. I know an ethnic Austrian and a ethnic German who would not look out of place in Spain with dark brown hair and brown eyes and they don't have a distinct Germanic facial appearance. I do not know how you can claim all ethnic Germans and Austrians have very Germanic features.

Thw vast majority do, and those who doesnt usually are from the south ends, or have origins that come from those areas

Even Joachim Low who is from deep southwest germany (in a town a couple of km from the french border) and has black hair still looks german and not french-

Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean73 View Post
Thw vast majority do, and those who doesnt usually are from the south ends, or have origins that come from those areas

Even Joachim Low who is from deep southwest germany (in a town a couple of km from the french border) and has black hair still looks german and not french-
It not unusual seeing Germans with dark brown hair and brown eyes btw, just as it us not unusual seeing British people the same. Yet blonde hair is obviously not unusual among British people. Anyway observation with the English side of half of my family, a considerable amount of them have naturally golden blonde hair.

Last edited by other99; 01-13-2015 at 02:08 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Jamesdean73, where are you from and where do you live?

Old 01-13-2015, 07:31 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Quote:
There are dark haired germans too just like anywhere else, but you had to go deep south to bavaria to prove a point? and you used a picture with very bad lighting.. nonetheless they still look germanic, I wouldnt say Rusell brand, rowan atkinson, Victoria beckham or zeta jones look germanic though,brits do generally look quite "celtic" (meaning it celtic of the isles/bronze age briton), germans regardless of hair color usually have very germanic appearance.

those are students from some of the "darkest" parts of germany ( a few foreigners in the crowd too), many are blond, and even the darker haired ones still look germanic

http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/...-videowebl.jpg

I could even post pictures of children in the UK being majority brown/dark haired, let alone adults. As I said only toddlers and babies are majority blonde in the UK, but thats also true for 80% of europe.
You seem to forget both Celtic and Germanic people make up are found in the British and Irish people. The very light skin complexion, freckling, reddish hair which is so frequent among the British and Irish is linked to Celtic people.I could also post pictures of children from Germany and Austria, who are dark-haired. So put it to rest. Now, for your information, Germanic people are not only limited to Germany and Austria, they are also found in Scandinavia, the Low Countries, the British Isles (particularly in England and parts of Scotland) and Switzerland, so to "look Germanic" is not specifically only looking like Germans in Germany. In Northern Europe, there are not only Germanic people, but also Celtic, Baltic and northern Slavics. You also have dark-haired Germans with the likes of Lothar Mattaus, Dirk Bauermann, Joachim Low, Michael Ballack, Joachim Gauk, Adolf Hitler, etc...
There are so many English people who are blonde-haired, whom I could post too.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Oh well weren't all these Germans supposed to be blondes? I didn't think so but you did, right? Joachim "looks German", because he's German. Ancient Germanic people originally came from southern Scandinavia, but gradually settled into Northern Europe. Germanic people were made up of many tribes, confederations, groups, nations. They did not all look exactly the same either. There are people who are northern Germany, who are dark-haired too, do you have problem with that? Before coming to your irrational conclusions, thinking might help a great deal.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:20 PM

To back to the main topic. Blonde hair in Southern Europe is not that strange either, but I know Italian men have a thing for blonde women.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 PM

109 posts, read 235,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Oh well weren't all these Germans supposed to be blondes? I didn't think so but you did, right? Joachim "looks German", because he's German. Ancient Germanic people originally came from southern Scandinavia, but gradually settled into Northern Europe. Germanic people were made up of many tribes, confederations, groups, nations. They did not all look exactly the same either. There are people who are northern Germany, who are dark-haired too, do you have problem with that? Before coming to your irrational conclusions, thinking might help a great deal.

I said proportionally wise the english are clearly darker than the germanic countries by a wide margin (and dont bring the redheads here and there because they only make up a small minority in the UK/ireland and anywhere else), just like the french are. which doesnt mean there arent blondes in france or the UK. There are actually more french with germanic faces than brits, who regardless of hair/eye/skin color usually dont look germanic at all. The french have much higher centrlal european/continental european input.

And joachim low looks german because his norse, eyeshape, etc are typically german. Michael ballack for example has black hair too but he doesnt look completly german, and Its understandable since he is of sorbian ancestry.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:35 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
I said proportionally wise the english are clearly darker than the germanic countries by a wide margin
As you think the English do not look like any people in any northern country, or any adjacent country, do you think the English look like Spanish people then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
To back to the main topic. Blonde hair in Southern Europe is not that strange either, but I know Italian men have a thing for blonde women.
I don't know why.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
I said proportionally wise the english are clearly darker than the germanic countries by a wide margin (and dont bring the redheads here and there because they only make up a small minority in the UK/ireland and anywhere else), just like the french are. which doesnt mean there arent blondes in france or the UK. There are actually more french with germanic faces than brits, who regardless of hair/eye/skin color usually dont look germanic at all. The french have much higher centrlal european/continental european input.

And joachim low looks german because his norse, eyeshape, etc are typically german. Michael ballack for example has black hair too but he doesnt look completly german, and Its understandable since he is of sorbian ancestry.
Unless you can post some links everything you are saying is just your personal opinion which doesn't really amount to much stacked up against the links that have been posted. It is just like me saying that people from the Orkneys are Martians. Unless I can post some links to back up what I say people are just going to think I'm a nutter.

Evidence please otherwise just admit that your opinion doesn't agree with overwhelming scientific dna studies and other people's opinions.

Your biases are clouding your judgement.

You know that Southern Germany is actually closer to Spanish populations than any British Isles population. The closest British Isles population to Portuguese/Spanish people are the Cornish while the Irish and Scots are more distant. This of course makes sense when you look at geography.

Spain is closer to other populations than the British Isles but you are trying to portray some extra close link which isn't there.

This is from a study done in 2009. Here are some genetic distances from this study showing Germans are closer to Spanish than Irish.

Irish/German - 0.0010
Irish/Sweden - 0.0020
Irish/Spain - 0.0037
Irish/Italian - 0.0048
Irish/Russians - 0.0055
Irish/Greek - 0.0067
Irish/Basque - 0.0086

Spain/Italian - 0.0010
Spain/German - 0.0015
Spain/Greek - 0.0035
Spain/Irish - 0.0037
Spain/Sweden - 0.0055
Spain/Basque - 0.0060
Spain/Russian 0.0079

European Population Genetic Substructure: Further Definition of Ancestry Informative Markers for Distinguishing among Diverse European Ethnic Groups

There is nothing wrong with linking certain populations together but you need to have your facts correct and have evidence to back up what you say.

Last edited by Bernie20; 01-14-2015 at 01:47 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 02:26 AM

237 posts, read 673,904 times
Quote:

Unless you can produce actual statistical numbers, this can only be seen as biased bunk from someone who has clear racist prejudiced views on the British. What you've written is pure dream fantasy and is baseless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe