Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 01:41 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,265,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
His larger point was that in the European systems, everyone knows there are people who take advantage of the system, but they're more or less OK with that, because the vast majority of aid recipients are legitimate. But the reason for the difference in attitudes is due to the fact that until relatively recently, the Central and especially North European countries' populations were fairly homogeneous, contrasting starkly with the US. The reason Americans, or conservatives, at least, hate welfare and aid to single mothers with kids is that the suspicion is that it's mostly minority populations benefiting from that (even when statistics indicate that's not true), so there's an "Us vs. Them" attitude about it. "Why should WE work hard and pay taxes so that THEY can get a free ride?" This is combined with the assumption that any person of color asking for unemployment or welfare isn't doing it out of need, but due to a lifestyle choice, and that the system only encourages that.

Racism makes a big difference in how social services are perceived.
So you think if the US was a homogenous (white) society, people wouldn't have a problem with a welfare state?

Old 03-30-2015, 01:42 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,937,898 times
Quote:
His larger point was that in the European systems, everyone knows there are people who take advantage of the system, but they're more or less OK with that, because the vast majority of aid recipients are legitimate. But the reason for the difference in attitudes is due to the fact that until relatively recently, the Central and especially North European countries' populations were fairly homogeneous, contrasting starkly with the US. The reason Americans, or conservatives, at least, hate welfare and aid to single mothers with kids is that the suspicion is that it's mostly minority populations benefiting from that (even when statistics indicate that's not true), so there's an "Us vs. Them" attitude about it. "Why should WE work hard and pay taxes so that THEY can get a free ride?" This is combined with the assumption that any person of color asking for unemployment or welfare isn't doing it out of need, but due to a lifestyle choice, and that the system only encourages that.

In my case I'm not a conservative or a liberal. I lean to center left but on a few issues center right. The color of the person on aide is a non-issue in my case.

The real issue is that patterns of thinking have an effect on whether in individual is a taker or a giver, some people contribute while others wait like ducks with their beaks open waiting to be fed, learned helplessness is a real issue.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:47 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,470,971 times
Quote:

Yes, that is why white people go on "disability" instead of other welfare programs. It's shameful to be a black single mom welfare queen (is that still the stereotype?), but it's fine to be a redneck on disability.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:49 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,872,239 times
Quote:
The reason Americans, or conservatives, at least, hate welfare and aid to single mothers with kids is that the suspicion is that it's mostly minority populations benefiting from that (even when statistics indicate that's not true), so there's an "Us vs. Them" attitude about it. "Why should WE work hard and pay taxes so that THEY can get a free ride?" This is combined with the assumption that any person of color asking for unemployment or welfare isn't doing it out of need, but due to a lifestyle choice, and that the system only encourages that.
Not only are you wrong, but you've really got to let go of the "I'm black and a victim" thing, that can destroy you psychologically.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Not only are you wrong, but you've really got to let go of the "I'm black and a victim" thing, that can destroy you psychologically.
Not really. She's pretty much nailed it. White Americans don't care when other whites are on welfare. Sure they are a little embarassing when they get all Honey Boo Boo but you don't hear the same level of viscious criticism.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:58 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Yes, that is why white people go on "disability" instead of other welfare programs. It's shameful to be a black single mom welfare queen (is that still the stereotype?), but it's fine to be a redneck on disability.

I would imagine it depends on the region one lives in, not so where I live the Black population is small, the White and Hispanic population is much larger. Yes there are people that choose to believe those stereo-types but for most it isn't a matter of race or color but more of the sense that some people are comfortable with receiving aide for extended periods.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:02 PM
AFP

Quote:
Not really. She's pretty much nailed it. White Americans don't care when other whites are on welfare. Sure they are a little embarassing when they get all Honey Boo Boo but you don't hear the same level of viscious criticism.
I disagree you really are just guessing and baseing this statement on a stereotype you believe to be true.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I disagree you really are just guessing and baseing this statement on a stereotype you believe to be true.
No, I'm not guessing at all. Show me any right wing criticism of white welfare mooches. You won't find any.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:05 PM
AFP

Quote:
No, I'm not guessing at all. Show me any right wing criticism of white welfare mooches. You won't find any.

The extreme right wing is a minority.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,560,199 times
Quote:
Ha you sure about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.