Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:05 AM

12,622 posts, read 13,977,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato&onion View Post
Amen! Yes I absolutely HATE how car-dependent America is...I think that's what's destroyed this country. Suburban sprawl is the worst idea known to man. I can't wait to start a car-free life somewhere. I'm seriously considering Portland, OR if I stay in America or if I move to Canada, then I'm going to Toronto or Vancouver.

Chalk this right up to the standard American hatred of govt, regulation and taxes. If local government enacted laws to restrict unplanned sprawl, Americans would have a fit of "don't tell me what to do" and "freedom freedom" blah blah.

Most Americans don't even believe in govt anymore, and are jumping on the selfish Libertarian bandwagon. Oh, except for having the largest military in the world ten times over. That is the only government they love. Ugh.

This country is spiralling down. I just hope it happens peacefully.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:09 AM

12,622 posts, read 13,977,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I guess I was wrong. I was skipping around through on demand and found this show called "19 Kids and Counting." Apparently there is this movement amongst christian white supremacist type people in Arkansas to have as many kids as possible and mooch off government assistance, to "bleed the beast" in their own terms. It is called the "Quiverful" movement and they call the women "Brood mares." It was pretty weird and I definitely do not want to see my tax dollars supporting those kind of people. I apologize to DJ Hobbes, it must be difficult living in an environment with relatives like that.

Yeah the Duggars. Only in America, land of the crazy people Europe threw out generations ago.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:27 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,761,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Europe is a CONTINENT for ****s sake. Before we address this fact we can't answer any of your questions.

Is the UK better to live than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Moldova better to live than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Greece better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Netherlands better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Ireland better to live than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Italy better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Russia (The European bit) better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is France better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Germany better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Ukraine better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Malta better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to

.................................................. .................................................. ..............
You forgot Denmark! The US is a great place to visit, but i wouldn't want to live there and haven't in 20 years.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:30 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,761,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
I can guarantee you that 3/4 of Europeans would emigrate to the US if they were given a chance.
Now ask how many Americans would do the same vice-versa.
I immigrated to Europe from the US 20 years ago. But I had a full time job waiting for me, which made the transition much easier. In addition, permanent residence was far easier to get then than it is now.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:40 AM

400 posts, read 423,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Hobbes you are a relatively balanced poster but this one really is right on the money. Some of these armchair economists are almost unreal. We don't even want these kinds of Americans posting here who complain and demand more for nothing. Their expectations aren't even realistic. Their expectation of what Canada is, it's totally rooted in fantasy and not reality. I'm literally eating popcorn right now as I read the laughable comments that dreamers make on here about life in Canada. If you gave me a green card right now I'd be packed and ready to move to Florida within 20 minutes. Some just don't know how good they've got it.
Take me with YOU!! Canada has some remarkably good PR about how wonderful it is to be here, but it's more myth than reality. Some of the reasons I would cite are: a timid and conservative business class that recoils from trying new approaches....a oligopolistic banking clique that doesn't support new business formations the way other countries do. Canadians renovate, Americans innovate....the WEATHER; terrible for too long....there's only one viable place to live in English Canada; even Vancouver has a very thin job market....a kind of social awkwardness/ lack of 'joie de vivre', an absence of that worldliness that one finds in parts of the US and in Europe. Canada has some more social development work to do imho....poor relationship between wages/salary and the cost of housing and pretty much everything else. Canada has too many cozy arrangements a.k.a. monopolies that makes living here expensive for no discernible reason. And canadians complain about it but refuse to demand changes from the political class that's probably deriving some benefits from that arrangement. In short, for all its faults, the US is better.

Disregard all the foregoing if you somehow luck into being a politician in Canada. That's got to be the best job in the entire world; outrageous salaries, amazing benefits, and no accountability for your ****-ups.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,557,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Wow round of applause for 'diverse opinions', a totally winning characteristic when trying to move a country forward. It's so aggressive I don't know what to compare it to. Check out the politics forum...

I don't know what to tell you about Quebec. Much of my family are Francophones, and I hear nothing of separation until I log on to The Great American Troll Fest 2015 (City Data Canada forum). Like, really nothing.
Of course you are going to randomly bring us up into your drama

Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Chalk this right up to the standard American hatred of govt, regulation and taxes. If local government enacted laws to restrict unplanned sprawl, Americans would have a fit of "don't tell me what to do" and "freedom freedom" blah blah.
No, no, planning, and restricting urban growth, are something Communists do, dontcha know? You're supposed to support the construction trade and the real estate profession by allowing unbridled growth, even in areas that are flood-prone, or that have an inadequate water supply. (Doing hydrology studies is a suspicious activity, you might get declared a Communist sympathizer!) You're just supposed to let all the money-grubbers run amok, even if it means that tragedies occur when they discover they've bought homes too close to a river that floods every spring, or at the foot of a cliff whose soil has been destabilized due to clearcut logging on top.

Tragedies of that nature are "acts of God" (according to the insurance industry), they're not anything that could have been foreseen and avoided through zoning laws. Keep Gummint out of the free process of buying and selling. That's the way of true Capitalists.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:46 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Take me with YOU!! Canada has some remarkably good PR about how wonderful it is to be here, but it's more myth than reality. Some of the reasons I would cite are: a timid and conservative business class that recoils from trying new approaches....a oligopolistic banking clique that doesn't support new business formations the way other countries do. Canadians renovate, Americans innovate....the WEATHER; terrible for too long....there's only one viable place to live in English Canada; even Vancouver has a very thin job market....a kind of social awkwardness/ lack of 'joie de vivre', an absence of that worldliness that one finds in parts of the US and in Europe. Canada has some more social development work to do imho....poor relationship between wages/salary and the cost of housing and pretty much everything else. Canada has too many cozy arrangements a.k.a. monopolies that makes living here expensive for no discernible reason. And canadians complain about it but refuse to demand changes from the political class that's probably deriving some benefits from that arrangement. In short, for all its faults, the US is better.
The excuse used in the USSR/Russia was/is that it's a "northern country". That automatically makes everything expensive.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:11 PM

26,890 posts, read 38,189,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Of course you are going to randomly bring us up into your drama
Hopefully not.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:46 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,756,659 times
Not much to read about Europe for a thread in the Europe forum. Also, this topic has been beaten to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe