Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:15 AM

43 posts, read 113,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
It depends on what you prefer

But in Europe(Western) you will have following things better:
-free health care. everyone has 100% coverage, no reason to cook meth to survive cancer
-proper law mandated vacations(4-5 weeks is a standard)
-better worker protection. ie you can't get fired for no reason
-enviroment protection is much better. recycling is standard practice, houses are of better quality: "all new buildings must be nearly zero energy buildings by 31 December 2020 (public buildings by 31 December 2018)"
-more free laws. you can drink in the public, you don't go to jail for smoking weed, "jaywalking" or "trespassing" doesn't exist like they do in america
-education is free(or almost free in some countries)

Maybe there's more but this is my small list
What you just mentioned is all true and what I wish existed here in the US. These are basic things that don't need a rocket scientist to realize should exist in a society. People say Europe has issues but what exactly are they? I'm talking about Western Europe here. I feel like America has way more issues than Europe. Look at our way of life. Look at the attitude towards food, the dependence on cars, the wastefulness, the republican views on abortion and other things, etc. People here don't care about recycling or taking care of the environment. Why in the world not? I have been to England, France, Luxembourg, Germany, and New Zealand, and truthfully I felt more at home there than in America. I'm from the middle east originally, and am glad to be in the US vs. there because women don't have rights whatsoever. I'm not saying the US is the worst place in the world, but I think there need to be many changes here. Look at suburban sprawl. Who the hell thought that would be a good way to live? It makes life more expensive and wasteful to say the least. The US has more incarcerated people than anywhere in the WORLD, and they claim to be a "free" country. Give me a break.

I am in the process of finding a city in the US that fits me best, and so far I think it's Portland. The lifestyle there is similar to Europe's and Canada's because it's not car dependent, good public transportation exists, people care about recycling and taking care of the environment, fresh and healthy food exists, people are active, etc. I've considered Denver but unfortunately it's not very attractive of a city (although the nature is wonderful) and it's still car dependent.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:27 AM

It seems like the people who disagree are Americans who have never left the country so they don't know any better. Most people here don't travel or care to learn about the world other than their own. Or, there are ones who have but their mentality is something I can't comprehend. They love waste and living the luxury life.

Also, they say you can "create your own happiness" and it's true to some extent. You can't be happy in an environment that doesn't suit you, no matter what. Our environment is extremely important to our well-being, mentality, and who we become.

I went on study abroad to Europe with 13 fellow classmates and most of them did not care to live in Europe because they miss their air conditioning and other luxuries. They act like the world owes them and their spoiled mentality made me sick. We were studying WWII and reading books about soldiers who didn't shower or brush their teeth for 6 months, but when our dormitory in London did not offer towels, all the students complained and hurried to the nearest store to get towels when our stay there was only one day! How ridiculous.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:27 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,489,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato&onion View Post
What you just mentioned is all true and what I wish existed here in the US. These are basic things that don't need a rocket scientist to realize should exist in a society. People say Europe has issues but what exactly are they? I'm talking about Western Europe here. I feel like America has way more issues than Europe. Look at our way of life. Look at the attitude towards food, the dependence on cars, the wastefulness, the republican views on abortion and other things, etc. People here don't care about recycling or taking care of the environment. Why in the world not? I have been to England, France, Luxembourg, Germany, and New Zealand, and truthfully I felt more at home there than in America. I'm from the middle east originally, and am glad to be in the US vs. there because women don't have rights whatsoever. I'm not saying the US is the worst place in the world, but I think there need to be many changes here. Look at suburban sprawl. Who the hell thought that would be a good way to live? It makes life more expensive and wasteful to say the least. The US has more incarcerated people than anywhere in the WORLD, and they claim to be a "free" country. Give me a break.

I am in the process of finding a city in the US that fits me best, and so far I think it's Portland. The lifestyle there is similar to Europe's and Canada's because it's not car dependent, good public transportation exists, people care about recycling and taking care of the environment, fresh and healthy food exists, people are active, etc. I've considered Denver but unfortunately it's not very attractive of a city (although the nature is wonderful) and it's still car dependent.
I can't tell you what "issues" those would be... Some say a muslim immigration is an issue, but it's not really something that affects your normal life. Maybe high taxes are an issue? But then again you get what you paid for. Just wait and see what happens to the American suburban sprawl when oil starts to get expensive Already there's studies showing people moving back to inner cities, but maybe they need a push from expensive oil

I have never been to Portland, but did you know that's it's ranked as the best city in America?
In fact it's the only American city to get recognized: World's most liveable cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not in every study though, but I think that tells you a lot

Old 03-17-2015, 06:34 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
Quote:

UK for one has ALOT of problems its like a Mini US here.

Is the UK better than the USA? Yes and no

Its better that our education system seems to be of higher quality, free universal healthcare, less inequality, politics here is more dynamic and the UK has lower crime rates.

However the negatives here are ethnic minority groups are more marginalised, our economy is heavily centred towards London, poor people are getting poorer, a massive class system, blaming immigrants for petty things, binge drinking, sexual abuse relations everyday , people are too PC when it comes to talking about racism and also the government system is corrupt.

Also you are generalising Europe to much, loads of places in the UK for example depend on cars especially in suburban sprawl (yes we have that too) outside towns. Public transportation in some large cities are actually quite bad there's buses and railways but its not perfect.

Personally I think as a Middle Eastern you have a better chance of moving up the socio-economic ladder in the US, your country is way too big with too many opportunities. If I was you and you want to live somewhere comfortable I'd definitely choose either the West Coast or the North-eastern USA.

I know I only mentioned the UK but that's what I know best, France also has problems as does Sweden, Netherlands etc..

Maybe when you become wealthy you can move to Europe but don't have such high expectations, they may be positives but there are a lot of negatives too.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,969,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
You think a whole collection of countries is like Portland, Oregon? Really?
Portland is just a typical American city with a slightly higher percentage of eccentric people.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Portland is just a typical American city with a slightly higher percentage of eccentric people.
I don't like calling people dumb but I think this person has fallen into the 'EUROPE IS SO GREAT'' propaganda and ''EVIL USA SO BAD'' hype. The truth is the USA and many Western European countries are structured the same with similar or the exact same issues.

Canada, USA, France, UK, Netherlands are all very similar Western society a lot of issues like inequality, sexism, racism, consumerism and media distortion are trans-national.

If I were to choose to live in the Netherlands or the US I'd choose the US 100%

Old 03-17-2015, 07:23 AM

Thank you guys for your feedback and comments. I just have to get out of Michigan. I was born in Iraq and immigrated with my mom when I was 9. I lived in Toronto for 2 years and absolutely loved it. I'm thinking of immigrating there but I have other cities in mind like Portland, and possibly New Orleans or Denver. I don't want to go through immigration again if I can help it, but if those don't work out then I'll go for Toronto.

I'm thankful to have grown up here because it's way better than being in the middle east where women are treated like garbage, but I just wish the US would waste less and also focus on building cities like they're supposed to be built without the dependence on cars.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:31 AM

Portland is probably the worst city to move to if your not White There's tons of articles online about it, that must say something about the city.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...e-reform-crime

http://gizmodo.com/oregon-was-founde...pia-1539567040

I'd say move to New York City!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:35 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Quote:
Thanks for your useless answer. And I don't know why everybody is talking about the size of these continents...Europe and the US are similar in size, and who cares about that anyway? The things I mentioned above are about the quality of life.
The fact is that Europe is made up of around 40 countries each with its own culture which may actually vary as much as the USA if not more inside of them, even though Europe and the USA have similar sizes, that doesn't mean they are easily comparable.

The USA is a single political entity unified by the same media, language, culture, Europe just isn't.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:43 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
I can guarantee you that 3/4 of Europeans would emigrate to the US if they were given a chance.
Now ask how many Americans would do the same vice-versa.
Not really......believe me even in a place as fvcked up as Southern Italy is right now, you'd struggle to find someone who wants to move to anyplace, let alone to the USA.

London and generally the UK is the place where most dream to move and is the main destination for those who want to move abroad, if we thought so highly of the USA, the number of current Italian immigrants to the USA would be higher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe