Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:00 PM

14,418 posts, read 11,859,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato&onion View Post
one of the biggest things I hate about America is suburban sprawl and the ridiculous dependence on cars. This lifestyle is sick and is what's making us fat besides the nasty food. That's just one issue out of the many that I can't stand here.
This country is not responsible for where you live or what you eat. Those are personal choices. If you can't find what you are looking for in the US, you are not looking very hard.

Don't want to drive or live in the suburbs? Move to the city and take public transport.

Don't want "nasty" food? Quit with the drive-throughs and 7-11. Start grocery shopping and cook your own meals, or find restaurants that serve healthier options.

Sounds to me like you have three real options:

1) You can sit around whining and moping about how much better life would be in Europe;

2) You can quit complaining and make a real effort to move to Europe;

3) You can quit complaining and take steps to change your life in the US so it's closer to your ideals.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:16 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,416,688 times
Quote:
You know what I'm seriously considering Canada! I LOVE Toronto and am going to be visiting Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City in a couple months. If I don't move to Toronto, then I'm considering Portland, Oregon as it is pretty European. Thank you for your post
You think a whole collection of countries is like Portland, Oregon? Really?

Old 03-16-2015, 06:04 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,051,636 times
US is a country, while Europe isn't.

Eastern europe is also...europe but do you think it's the same as western europe? I don't think so.

UK is also kind of different from France, Germany and continental western europe.

And: Greece and Italy are also very different from everything mentioned already.

That's like saying: "Asia and Africa vs the US: which one is better to live in and why?"

Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,416,688 times
I know what people are thinking when they think ''EUROPE'' its sophisticated, liberal, socially moral, progressive and filled with unique culture. But the vast majority of Europe isn't like that maybe the rich bits in Western Europe and that's it. Even parts of Bordeaux in France looked kinda ugly.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:12 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,051,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I am from the Eastern Europe but wouldn't like to emigrate to the US.
Not surprised. Belarus, Bulgaria and Ukraine are not pro-us nor pro-russia, so no wonder.
The guy who can "guarantee" that 3/4 of europeans will move to the US only means countries like Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic etc., the so called "civilized" part of eastern europe (aka: NATO's fanboys...).

Old 03-16-2015, 06:18 PM

3,980 posts, read 9,009,103 times
Quote:
Thanks for your useless answer. And I don't know why everybody is talking about the size of these continents...Europe and the US are similar in size, and who cares about that anyway? The things I mentioned above are about the quality of life.
I wouldn't say it's "useless" but until you've actually lived in Europe you probably shouldn't be so sure about it being SO much better. One thing I know for sure (as someone that has lived in Europe) is that when you're actually living there, you miss many things about the US.

I will only speak about the country I used to live--Ireland. The red tape and arse backward way of doing the most basic things (like opening up a simple checking acct.) would make your head spin! I'm not sure what you mean by "quality of life" but as with anywhere, there's good and there's bad and it's just different.

If you're talking about medical care---well...like I said good and bad. My daughter had to go to with the emergency room for instance with a HUGE gash on her head and they didn't stitch her up until the next day and merely stuck a piece of gauze on the wound--no antibiotic or anything. Why? Because they were concerned that the surgeon on duty wouldn't be able to deal with a stabbing victim HAD one come in (it was a Friday night). I actually had to spend the night with her in the hospital over something that would have been sorted very quickly in the US. So now, seven years later, she has a huge scar across her forehead which probably would have been sewn up at the time. How about lab work (like a pap smear) that takes 6 months to get the results? It's very low cost however, so it's really a matter of like I said, taking the good with the bad.

As for learning languages---well, in Ireland they are taught in school just as they would be here in the US. English is the international language of business so in the case of Germany or France for instance, it's in their best interest to learn the language. My kids learned Irish, but that's because they went to an immersion school (and it's not necessary to learn Irish since everyone speaks English).

As for your belief that you can just move over to any country you desire--RARE---and often very difficult and expensive unless you're given a job where a national could not fill. This is also very difficult in Canada as well. So looks like Portland is where you're going...(but Europe it is not).

Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,564,753 times
You may like your life their, but for me? lol no way... i like it here and i would never leave.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:43 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,493,488 times
It depends on what you prefer

But in Europe(Western) you will have following things better:
-free health care. everyone has 100% coverage, no reason to cook meth to survive cancer
-proper law mandated vacations(4-5 weeks is a standard)
-better worker protection. ie you can't get fired for no reason
-enviroment protection is much better. recycling is standard practice, houses are of better quality: "all new buildings must be nearly zero energy buildings by 31 December 2020 (public buildings by 31 December 2018)"
-more free laws. you can drink in the public, you don't go to jail for smoking weed, "jaywalking" or "trespassing" doesn't exist like they do in america
-education is free(or almost free in some countries)

Maybe there's more but this is my small list

Old 03-17-2015, 06:10 AM

24,813 posts, read 11,233,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Europeans from which countries? The EU?
Visa Statistics

Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,493,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/...t-TableIII.pdf

Not many Europeans coming to America... Looks like you are getting people mostly from poor countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe