Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 06:36 PM

6 posts, read 6,394 times

Advertisements

*Ahem*... getting back to the topic at hand...

As a Canadian, I'm often mistaken as an American while traveling in Europe, and any (mistaken) reference to my being from the United States has never, that I can recall, been done so in a rude or derisive manner.

Regarding the comments advising Americans to tell people they're Canadian, well... at least half the time when I've corrected people in Europe who have mistaken me for an American, the reply has been "meh, they're the same thing." On the other extreme, you *do* also get the segment of Europeans who think that Canada is some fairytale land with zero social problems and infinite amounts of happiness and maple syrup, and these people will gladly gush at great length about how great the Canada that their imagination has cooked up is.

Long story short, being pegged as an American in Europe, at least in *my* experience, has never really posed a problem. Europeans also seem even more obnoxiously obsessed with American pop culture and trends that even most Canadians are.

Yes, I've met rude, surly Americans while traveling. I've also met rude, surly Brits, Germans, Swedes, Czechs, Croats, Canadians, etc. etc. etc., and it's quite clear that no one country has a monopoly on terrible people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 04:33 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,434,325 times
I don't have a problem with Americans indeed I like them, they are generally well mannered and well meaning and have a positive disposition as well as an upbeat demeanor. Americans will engage in friendly conversation, are kind in my experience and they are general friendly people.

The same applies to Canadians, New Zealanders and Aussies, indeed there's usually a bit of sporting banter with the latter countries regarding the cricket and rugby.

I am British though, so these nations share a common language.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-29-2016 at 04:42 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 05:24 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I am often embarrassed by my fellow countrymen when traveling abroad. I remember reading the "Ugly American" in high school and it amazes me that still today some Americans still seem to lack respect for people of other countries when traveling. What is the impressions Americans have left on you when you interact with them in your country?
Honestly as American, I rarely see it when traveling. It's certainly not something that I would find personally embarrassing or apologize for unless it were a member of my own family. Jerks come from every nationality and anybody with ounce of common sense would not apply one jerk's behavior to an entire nationality. Nor would they look at somebody and immediately dislike them because of their government, at least not if they are rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe