Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 06:37 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times

Advertisements

I am often embarrassed by my fellow countrymen when traveling abroad. I remember reading the "Ugly American" in high school and it amazes me that still today some Americans still seem to lack respect for people of other countries when traveling. What is the impressions Americans have left on you when you interact with them in your country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 06:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
I have always thought Americans are generally pretty good tourists. Sometimes a bit loud, but usually smiling and fairly polite. Where did you hear they were considered "ugly americans"?

Now, the Chinese, on the other hand - yikes. After seeing a woman have her child defacate on the streets of Paris, I think I've had enough of new money/no manners Chinese trampling over the world's tourist hotspots. I know it's bad to stereotype, but honestly the Chinese tour groups have ruined a lot of tourist destinations lately, with their pushing/shoving/spitting/yelling. The Louvre is basically a no-go zone. A salesperson we spoke with at Au Printemps said that the Chinese had basically ruined the department store., because they only bought flashy labels, and management had decided to turn the whole store over to the tour groups.

Mainland Chinese wealthy seem to have not yet developed manners. Hopefully this will come with time.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:54 PM

71 posts, read 98,259 times
ur probably better off when saying ur from Canada while travelling.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:17 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, we had this same, exact topic about 6 months ago. Did you do a search before you posted this?

Old 05-25-2015, 11:23 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I am often embarrassed by my fellow countrymen when traveling abroad. I remember reading the "Ugly American" in high school and it amazes me that still today some Americans still seem to lack respect for people of other countries when traveling. What is the impressions Americans have left on you when you interact with them in your country?
It depends on whether it's a tour group of Americans, or solo travellers. It's usually the tour groups that get a bad rep. On the other hand, I've seen Aussie and Kiwi travellers who made me want to cringe and distance myself from them--making fun of local customs (within earshot of the locals, like a deliberate put-down). I think some of what you're describing might be chalked up to the "arrogance of youth". Some people don't care about being respectful and considerate.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:35 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I have always thought Americans are generally pretty good tourists. Sometimes a bit loud, but usually smiling and fairly polite. Where did you hear they were considered "ugly americans"?
He asked for Europeans opinion on Americans ...

We don't get that many American tourists over here in Europe because most Americans can't afford to travel here and because they generally only have 10 days of holdiays per year so it's quite difficult to make it to Europe in that short time.

When I lived in a tourist place, Amsterdam, there were mainly two types of Americans here. The students/backpackers in their 20's and the retired couples. They didn't stand out in any way, positively or negatively. It's not like you can hear them approaching 50 meters away.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:51 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
He asked for Europeans opinion on Americans ...
I am European, so what is your point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
We don't get that many American tourists over here in Europe because most Americans can't afford to travel here and because they generally only have 10 days of holdiays per year so it's quite difficult to make it to Europe in that short time.
You are obviously not European if you claim "we don't get that many American tourists over here in Europe". There's obviously a gigantic American tourist presence in Europe.

And the U.S. is the richest country on earth so claiming "most Americans can't afford travel here" is kind of absurd. The U.S. has basically the spending power of the entire EU. How can the richest country be too poor to travel?

I also don't know a single American who "only has 10 days of holidays per year", and that has nothing to do with anything. There are more non-working Americans (retired, etc.) then there are people in any European country, so there are more than enough people to visit even if not one American has even a single day of holiday. I have nearly five months of accrued vacation, BTW. I could take half the year off and tour the world if I wanted to, and I have an American employer.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:49 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
I generally find Americans to be very polite and good tourists as well, and we get a lot of them here.

It is funny though, because you can spot them a mile away. Shorts, tucked in T-shirts and always with a camera around their neck, often a baseball cap and sunglasses as well. They are very nice though, generally.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 AM

13 posts, read 15,358 times
Americans are very popular, they tip.
Lack of respect? I have never seen Americans screaming or pissing public lamps.
More so, Americans have no shame using whatever words they know of the local language and that's quite appreciated.
They do talk loud, but it's quite evident they come from a wider, more spacious country.
Just today I saw four Americans stuffed in a very small car, a POLO I believe. It was quite funny because they had problems getting out of the car, they seem to love those SMART and MINI COOPER contraptions.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
The responses here are good to hear, but it makes me wonder if perhaps Europe attracts an older demographic. which by nature would be more conservative that the tourists who frequent places like Central America, and the Caribbean who would be younger and more inclined to drink heavily and push the limits.
Europe is one place in the world I have yet to visit, so I am curious, I suspect the area would have some significance also, as the tourists attracted to Stonehenge or the Alps, is probably different than ones attracted to Amsterdam or the Rivera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe