Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:00 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,894,302 times

Advertisements

You can spot from a mile far away because of the clothes but they have a good reputation generally.
A little loud and noisy but nothing bothering, the only point which could be done is when they expect that everybody speak English and start yelling but this is more a case than usual (and happened with British and Australian tourists too).
The last American tourist I met was a guy in Paris looking in a shop for a gift for his father: he didn't speak French and the shop assistant didn't speak English, yet nobody started yelling, the American guy just made gestures and mumbled some words, I worked as a sort of translator and everybody was happy.
There are undeniably lots of annoying American tourists who are unbelievably rude and arrogant, but this doesn't depend on their nationality, it depends on the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The responses here are good to hear, but it makes me wonder if perhaps Europe attracts an older demographic. which by nature would be more conservative that the tourists who frequent places like Central America, and the Caribbean who would be younger and more inclined to drink heavily and push the limits.
Europe is one place in the world I have yet to visit, so I am curious, I suspect the area would have some significance also, as the tourists attracted to Stonehenge or the Alps, is probably different than ones attracted to Amsterdam or the Rivera.
I have been to the places you listed there, and in general they are no worse, or perhaps even better than fellow Europeans when travelling to places like Amsterdam, Riviera, Barcelona etc - the more 'party' places.

I find that young Dutch people seem to be the most noisy and annoying tourists in this respect.. British, German, Dutch seem to drink a lot more than young Americans when they are on holiday, but that is probably also because of our culture and younger drinking age, so we are used to it more.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:17 AM

8,875 posts, read 8,479,268 times
What makes Americans think that they are unpopular in other countries?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:28 AM

102,263 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
He asked for Europeans opinion on Americans ...

We don't get that many American tourists over here in Europe because most Americans can't afford to travel here and because they generally only have 10 days of holdiays per year so it's quite difficult to make it to Europe in that short time.

When I lived in a tourist place, Amsterdam, there were mainly two types of Americans here. The students/backpackers in their 20's and the retired couples. They didn't stand out in any way, positively or negatively. It's not like you can hear them approaching 50 meters away.
All my friends in the US have 1-2 months' vacation annually. It's the teachers and university faculty who have 2 months, or more.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:29 AM

102,263 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
There used to be an image of Americans as loud, obnoxious, poorly-dressed tourists who travelled in hordes.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:29 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,303,665 times
Quote:
Americans have gotten a reputation in some places for disrespectfulness in other countries especially in poorer countries where they tend to act as if they are better than others.
I have seen it first hand in Mexico, and Asia.

I suspect it may have some ties to racism, as much as financial superiority, but have no evidence and why I was curious about behavior in Europe as racism there would not be a factor.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:32 AM

8,875 posts, read 8,479,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There used to be an image of Americans as loud, obnoxious, poorly-dressed tourists who travelled in hordes.
I've heard of such reputation but obviously no one(well, other than in say...idk, maybe Iran?) really "dislikes" American tourists per se, I thought it was quite evident and clear.

Last edited by Greysholic; 05-26-2015 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,641,282 times
They are people that exist.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:59 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,671,876 times
I'm an American living in Europe. Europeans are usually very friendly and kind toward me. In the more remote places where they don't get may tourists, they seem happy to interact with an American. I'm in far northern Sweden right now, and the locals have been pleasant enough toward me. An old lady asked me where I was from and when I told her, she said, "Ah, the big land," and we exchanged small talk about some of the differences between Sweden and the US. It's about the same as you'd expect from the average American running into a Swede in the US. Mildly interesting and that's about it.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:59 AM

13 posts, read 15,393 times
Quote:

The Fox and their campaigns against French fries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe