Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:47 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
There are probably 5 times that number of American tourists that you are not seeing because they aren't dressed the way you expect them to be. I met a few American tourists when I was in London and none were wearing shorts and tucked in t-shirts. They do have cameras as do pretty much every tourist from around the world. I have a Nikon D750 and wouldn't dream of leaving it in the hotel room when in the UK.
But even if young Americans are wearing jeans and t-shirts like other europeans, somehow people can pick them out of a crowd of young people wearing jeans, and know they're Americans. I've never understood that. From a crowd of backpackers waiting to check in at the hostel, somehow the staff knows whom to address in English, and whom to address in German or Dutch, or whatever.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 11:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,232,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But even if young Americans are wearing jeans and t-shirts like other europeans, somehow people can pick them out of a crowd of young people wearing jeans, and know they're Americans. I've never understood that. From a crowd of backpackers waiting to check in at the hostel, somehow the staff knows whom to address in English, and whom to address in German or Dutch, or whatever.

I think this really varies by individual.

I'm an American, and I almost always get addressed in some other language besides English. This last time I kept having locals ask me if I spoke German or French. Sometimes they'd also use English with me, which is the default language they'd usually use with almost everyone - from Asian to Indian to Scandinavian to whatsoever else as well.

I found that I had to clearly state that I was an English speaker quite a bit on this last trip; as people just didn't seem to be able to readily tell.

In short, I think this varies A LOT.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:50 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,966,033 times
An American traveler here also. I've been spoken to in Arabic, Farsi, Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, because I am short and dark. So yes by individual.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I'm an American, and I almost always get addressed in some other language besides English. This last time I kept having locals ask me if I spoke German or French. Sometimes they'd also use English with me, which is the default language they'd usually use with almost everyone - from Asian to Indian to Scandinavian to whatsoever else as well.

I found that I had to clearly state that I was an English speaker quite a bit on this last trip; as people just didn't seem to be able to readily tell.

I've been told a couple of different things. That there are subtle differences in Americans' dress that gives them away. But more commonly I hear that it's the different sense of personal space that Americans exhibit, that gives them away. They tend to occupy more space through their gestures and general way of moving. That still doesn't explain how anyone would be able to differentiate nationality in a crowd of people at a check-in desk. I've also heard young Americans generally-speaking tend to have a more naive look than Europeans. Kind of a more wide-eyed child-like look.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:27 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,541,840 times
Quote:

Not to nitpick, but if you were just in the Balkans, that makes total sense. My time in Serbia and Kosovo showed me that for many people there, Germany is the big foreign point of reference, and there were more than a couple of times where somebody would just jump into German as soon as they figured out I was foreign.

Quote:
I've been told a couple of different things. That there are subtle differences in Americans' dress that gives them away. But more commonly I hear that it's the different sense of personal space that Americans exhibit, that gives them away. They tend to occupy more space through their gestures and general way of moving. That still doesn't explain how anyone would be able to differentiate nationality in a crowd of people at a check-in desk. I've also heard young Americans generally-speaking tend to have a more naive look than Europeans. Kind of a more wide-eyed child-like look.
This space-occupation thing makes a bit more sense to me. I think speaking most generally, people in many parts of Europe approach things in a very physically confident way with few unnecessary movements, whereas foreigners, for obvious reasons, are a bit more antsy and animated.

I've actually encountered very few Americans abroad in general. If I can remember which were in Europe, there was one American guy in Belgrade who had been travelling West from Turkey for months. He didn't stick out or anything, the other was a girl from California and she came to live in Berlin because she wanted a new experience, and her mom was English so she had the documents to do it. The only annoying ones I met were in Tulum, Mexico.

Last edited by Jesse44; 05-31-2015 at 07:36 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 08:03 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,032,719 times
Quote:
As an American, I agree with this.

I'm an American, and I just came back from 3 weeks in Europe. I met and saw FEW Americans. Yep, exactly as you said, they were either young college students in hostels, or I overheard old retired couples.

Most of Europe is filled with Europeans on holidays and traveling around. You'll see plenty of Asians and Indians and Arabic and such....not so many Americans though.

Europe isn't that high on the radar of places to go when a person just has 10 days off a year either. Most working Americans prefer to rest at home, or go to somewhere in the U.S., or go to Mexico perhaps.

Europe is basically a hostel/backpacker experience during college, or retired from work, and try to see, kind of destination.

You are 100% right.
Just got back from Copenhagen, Malmo and Reykjavilk

Copenhagen - FULL of American tourists, many it appears on cruises
Malmo - did not encounter many
Reykjavik - seemed half American (kind of disturbing).. you can tell the Canadians though... Maple Leaf flags on back packs, hats.

I've always encountered Americans every time I travelled to Europe. No negative feedback received. Then again, I try to learn basic grammar.. even Icelandic which was wicked hard.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

Reykjavik - seemed half American (kind of disturbing).. you can tell the Canadians though... Maple Leaf flags on back packs, hats.

I've always encountered Americans every time I travelled to Europe. No negative feedback received. Then again, I try to learn basic grammar.. even Icelandic which was wicked hard.
Haha! "basic grammar" and "Icelandic"--hahahahahaha! Wow! Well good for you, for trying! You're a champ. It's like saying, you thought you'd try to pick up some Russian along with the grammar. Except at least Icelandic is in Latin letters, with a few extra thrown in.

Are there that many Americans in Reykyavik? I wonder why? Is it on some of the cruise lines' route?

Old 06-01-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Maybe. I am not sure.

For me, I haven't lived in the U.S. in about 15 years.

I think I'm quite observant on people's backgrounds, I can pick out all the various Asian nationalities anyway. But, when I see white person, (and I'm white as well), I really have NO idea until they start speaking. I find a lot of Europeans to wear American baseball caps; and Americans themselves vary significantly as well. Half of the Americans I was seeing in Europe, were of some non-WASP ethnic background half of the time.

I don't know...there is a very certain particular kind of American I can recognize. But they really have to be the untraveled first-time abroad types. I just wasn't meeting them in the Balkans at all. Most of the time when I REALLY think I have spotted the obvious American, they turn out to be Canadian.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Not to nitpick, but if you were just in the Balkans, that makes total sense. My time in Serbia and Kosovo showed me that for many people there, Germany is the big foreign point of reference, and there were more than a couple of times where somebody would just jump into German as soon as they figured out I was foreign.
Yep, in the Balkans I was getting a lot of German thrown at me. Then I went to Munich, and more German again - even in the tourist areas. They'll quickly turn to English though, once I start speaking English. But, I think they assume I must be German.

Generally, I try to wear solid colors without English writing on my t-shirts. Maybe it makes me look more local or German? Who knows? I was also getting the 'parle frances?' a handful of times as well though.

I don't know...maybe I wasn't where more of the obvious Americans go? I would imagine they would mostly go to London, Paris, Rome? Not sure.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

Actually, last year I went up into Scandinavia. Up in Norway in particular, I was hearing A LOT of American English. Oslo, in particular.

Yeah, Canadians stand out a mile away. HUGE backpack with extremely visible Canadian Flag. I generally notice that if I am in hearing distance from them, I will constantly hear the phrase, 'Well, in Canada...' a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe