Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 02:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
For one reason or another, I usually end up having two or three conversations with adult American visitors per summer. They are always surprised that I live here, and this usually prompts a string of questions about things they have been uncomfortable with while visiting. Stuff that would not occur to me, but it serves to remind me how easily Americans seem to suffer a sense of personal discomfort and dislocation.
Interesting how you guys divide everything by nationality.

Personal discomfort and dislocation seems to be just human nature to me. as well as speaking loudly and acting obnoxious.

If i am ever at a place with a large amount of international tourist every person acts their own unique attitude, i have never seen whole nationalities act one way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 05:33 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,405 times
Major parts of the south dont have besements because they are built in swampy areas and on wet soul. It's very very rare to see a cellar here in Florida. It's true in much of the south

Old 05-29-2015, 03:31 AM

75 posts, read 72,636 times
I haven't read the entire thread, but... I used to love America until I found out more about what's going on behind what I saw as a kid in it. But we're talking about people here. Many people in Eastern Europe (at least in Poland, Latvia and Lithuania) either love or hate the Americans. I judge people for who they are though, but many people (everywhere, just different subjects) buy into stereotypes, and here the stereotypes are made by the Russian culture. Also, in Lithuania I know that there's a big group of people who love Nazi Germany (even during their national celebrations there's black SS flags in the crowd), hence automatically hating Russians and somewhat disliking Americans. As for those who love the Russian culture (there's plenty in Latvia and Lithuania), usually hate Americans, as they stand for different values. Usually it's not as deep as "capitalists," it's more of a "ugh, Americans..." - irrational stuff based on nothing, possibly inflated by the negative movie stereotypes of fat trailer park families.

I suppose Americans are good tourists, as they are used to tipping people and generally are nice and smiley, as they come here to see stuff that's alien to them, not to complain, and they have the money to do so.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:38 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharapita View Post
ur probably better off when saying ur from Canada while travelling.
Maybe I'm wrong, but most non-North Americans basically think of Canadian tourists/American tourists as the exact same thing. I haven't seen much or heard much of a differentiation.

I mean, Canadians think they make a different perception, but among non-North Americans, they are the same exact same thing.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
He asked for Europeans opinion on Americans ...

We don't get that many American tourists over here in Europe because most Americans can't afford to travel here and because they generally only have 10 days of holdiays per year so it's quite difficult to make it to Europe in that short time.

When I lived in a tourist place, Amsterdam, there were mainly two types of Americans here. The students/backpackers in their 20's and the retired couples. They didn't stand out in any way, positively or negatively. It's not like you can hear them approaching 50 meters away.
As an American, I agree with this.

I'm an American, and I just came back from 3 weeks in Europe. I met and saw FEW Americans. Yep, exactly as you said, they were either young college students in hostels, or I overheard old retired couples.

Most of Europe is filled with Europeans on holidays and traveling around. You'll see plenty of Asians and Indians and Arabic and such....not so many Americans though.

Europe isn't that high on the radar of places to go when a person just has 10 days off a year either. Most working Americans prefer to rest at home, or go to somewhere in the U.S., or go to Mexico perhaps.

Europe is basically a hostel/backpacker experience during college, or retired from work, and try to see, kind of destination.

You are 100% right.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The responses here are good to hear, but it makes me wonder if perhaps Europe attracts an older demographic. which by nature would be more conservative that the tourists who frequent places like Central America, and the Caribbean who would be younger and more inclined to drink heavily and push the limits.
Europe is one place in the world I have yet to visit, so I am curious, I suspect the area would have some significance also, as the tourists attracted to Stonehenge or the Alps, is probably different than ones attracted to Amsterdam or the Rivera.
Well, Europe is filled with Brits traveling around who DO push the limits. Well, to be fair, much of Northern Europe pushed the limits in Southern Europe.

Australians go crazy in Bali and Indonesia. Americans go crazy in Mexico, Jamaica.

It's the Brits party like rock stars in Spain or wherever.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
What makes Americans think that they are unpopular in other countries?
I think it originated in the 1950s or 1960s when Americans started traveling to Europe a lot, and had a more naive mindset.

I think these days, there is so much multiculturalism and languages in the U.S., a lot of those old stereotypes not exist so much anymore.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Americans have gotten a reputation in some places for disrespectfulness in other countries especially in poorer countries where they tend to act as if they are better than others.
I have seen it first hand in Mexico, and Asia.

I suspect it may have some ties to racism, as much as financial superiority, but have no evidence and why I was curious about behavior in Europe as racism there would not be a factor.
Where did you see that in Asia?

I'm an AMerican who has lived in Asia since 1996. I don't meet many Americans in Asia, except for English teachers (Korea, Japan), Bankers (Singapore, Hong Kong), and military (Korea, Japan).

I'd agree that the U.S. military isn't very culturally sensitive at all, particularly the 18-year-olds, but I've met very few 18-year-olds anywhere who were very aware anyways (except for the moneyed professional-oriented ones).

Old 05-29-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
As an American who travels to Euope a lot, I have never had anything but kindness, and sometimes curiosity. I think I overtip in Europe, but it's so ingrained in me to tip. I feel guilty if I dont.
And I'm so glad the Eueo is down. It was at $1.37 when I was there last year and I think it's a 1.10 now
Yeah, same here. Bush administration years were bad to be an American anywhere.

The Obama years, no problem at all. I just came back from 3 1/2 weeks in Europe, as I did last year around this time as well. All great experiences.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am an American living on the south coast of Portugal, and my town gets many tourists in the summer. The number of truly adult American tourists is very small, and they do not excite any great interest or comments. The town is jaded when it comes to foreign visitors, I think. As far as I have heard, and I have restaurant owners and managers for friends and acquaintances, American adult behavior is good, and Americans are seen as very outgoing.

For one reason or another, I usually end up having two or three conversations with adult American visitors per summer. They are always surprised that I live here, and this usually prompts a string of questions about things they have been uncomfortable with while visiting. Stuff that would not occur to me, but it serves to remind me how easily Americans seem to suffer a sense of personal discomfort and dislocation.

We do get many American young people (early twenties) - a number of them are students studying in Spain. I am American and I find them unbelievably obnoxious, but I'm sure my problem is that I am comparing them with college students of my era or ones I taught, but these kids are very different and reflect the time and culture of present-day USA. They booze to the level of puking, they tend to be totally rude and pushy when walking in our crowded narrow streets in the Old Town, and they find it necessary to loudly proclaim their nationality without end. And there are always those boys who delight in showing the locals "real football" by playing American football on the beach and being total asshats about it. There was an incident last year on a small beach where after trampling and hitting a number of people with the ball, and refusing the life guard's order to move to a deserted part of the beach, the police were called in. And these mokes then made a big scene about how they were being treated.

However, the Brit visitors in the same age group are much more numerous, and far, far worse in their conduct. So, at the end of the day I hear, "But they're not as bad as the Brits." And while these kids of both nationalities are the under belly of local tourism, they bring in enough euros that the local people suck it up until autumn. And for my part, during the summer I am in and out of that part of the town by 10 a.m.

The hotel I stay in when I go up to Lisbon is a tourist hotel, right down in the heart of the city. Quite a few Americans. They tend to talk more loudly than other nationalities it seems to me, and visitors from Texas enjoy shouted conversations across the dining room with other visitors from Texas. However, the hotel employees just roll their eyes at each other, and it is the other visitors who bristle.

Overall my impression is that the Portuguese find Americans agreeable though maybe a bit bumptious. And I don't hear any anti-American talk.
You sound a little bit like me.

When I overhear any Americans anywhere, I automatically don't like it. I just don't like the association. If they step out of line at all, I feel they are making a poor representation.

But, when I speak with locals, I've noticed they generally have very positive impressions, and usually comment on how outgoing the Americans they have met, have been.

For me, since I'm not the 'typical walking negative American stereotype', I don't like it when I see it in any form in another fellow American. But, I think a lot of non-Americans don't really care or think about it so much. Sometimes they even kind of enjoy the interaction, I've often noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe