Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 05:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times

Advertisements

Why would the Germans and Swiss be renting their properties instead of buying them, if buying them makes more sense in financial terms?

Most British people own their home, but with each passing generation cohort, the level of ownership gets smaller and smaller.

What house you can buy depends, of course, on your available funds, and you need to put down a deposit, which involves saving. A 200,000 Euro house here would require an upfront deposit of nearly 10,000 Euros, so of course renting earlier makes more sense until you are in such a position to do that.

Bearing in mind that a 200,000 Euro house is cheap for UK standards - most homes cost quite a lot more than that, especially in London and surrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
A person buying a $450K condo would need to put $90K down which most Americans don't have. Plus you'd have to pay around $500/m on top of the mortgage for association fees. Meanwhile, people have to live somewhere so they rent instead.
Not here. 10% is the default but many haven't paid anything up front. I don't know what kind of fees you pay in America but in Finland I pay 200€ for maintance. Tenants pay that in their rents so it really doesn't matter in this calculation. Also you loose everything when you rent

Old 07-10-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Why would the Germans and Swiss be renting their properties instead of buying them, if buying them makes more sense in financial terms?

Most British people own their home, but with each passing generation cohort, the level of ownership gets smaller and smaller.

What house you can buy depends, of course, on your available funds, and you need to put down a deposit, which involves saving. A 200,000 Euro house here would require an upfront deposit of nearly 10,000 Euros, so of course renting earlier makes more sense until you are in such a position to do that.
How should I know? 100% of all Swiss and Germans I know own their places so maybe you could ask you friends who rent?

Or maybe buy a 100 000 house first and then upgrade?

Old 07-10-2015, 06:09 PM

My friends are the same age as me - I'm 27. I've been working full-time for 4 years. Putting 100 Euros away every month, I could save up for a deposit in maybe 8 years. That makes more sense now, but when I was earning minimum wage, not so much.

100,000? Only if I want to live in a crap hole. I pay 700 Euros a month to rent my 2-bed semi in a nice area. I'm not getting anywhere near as nice for 100,000.

Also -

Germans and Swiss rent mostly. I wonder why? Owning a home is what most people want here.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:13 PM

379 posts, read 359,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Not here. 10% is the default but many haven't paid anything up front. I don't know what kind of fees you pay in America but in Finland I pay 200€ for maintance. Tenants pay that in their rents so it really doesn't matter in this calculation. Also you loose everything when you rent
In very recent past America also had loads of no money down mortgages, and the financial shenanigans that made such a situation possible caused the economy to collapse. Nowadays, you need at least 20% down for a condo, if you can get financing at all.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
My friends are the same age as me - I'm 27. I've been working full-time for 4 years. Putting 100 Euros away every month, I could save up for a deposit in maybe 8 years. That makes more sense now, but when I was earning minimum wage, not so much.

100,000? Only if I want to live in a crap hole. I pay 700 Euros a month to rent my 2-bed semi in a nice area. I'm not getting anywhere near as nice for 100,000.

Also -

Germans and Swiss rent mostly. I wonder why? Owning a home is what most people want here.
Circumstances. Every Swiss and German I know is not poor so maybe that's the reason

Old 07-10-2015, 06:19 PM

So most Germans and Swiss are poor?

Or maybe they just don't care about throwing good money after bad.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
In very recent past America also had loads of no money down mortgages, and the financial shenanigans that made such a situation possible caused the economy to collapse. Nowadays, you need at least 20% down for a condo, if you can get financing at all.
Oh it's that hard to get a loan! Well then it's pretty obvious why many people are stuck with those high rents I wonder why they require 20%? It would be more profitable to offer no down payment at all There was only 489 foreclosures in Finland last year so somehow our banks are just better at managing risks maybe Also no bank crisis in Finland.

It's funny because in America they offer you loans everywhere you go! So for some reason you can't get a mortage but no problem leasing a car or getting bail bonds Every single store wants to give you credit

Also a big factor in subprime crisis was these "re mortaging" loans where these idiots took a second mortage on their house to buy a boat or something and got stuck up with like 10% interest rates

Old 07-10-2015, 06:26 PM

379 posts, read 359,305 times
There have been many articles about why Germans don't value home ownership. The government doesn't encourage home ownership like in countries with high home ownership - there are no tax breaks for home owners. Banks are very risk adverse, making mortgages difficult. The rental market is heavily regulated to be favorable to renters. German rental properties are generally very nice, and rent is very cheap. Culturally Germans don't care about home ownership. Over 90% say they are fine with renting. T

I don't know if the above also applies to the Swiss. However, neither the germans nor swiss are poor, they have the most disposable income in Europe.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
So most Germans and Swiss are poor?

Or maybe they just don't care about throwing good money after bad.
Money and math wise renting doesn't make sense so please make a new topic or something if you are so interested about how swiss live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe