Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 05:37 PM

35,035 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It is a definite threat to public policy. Especially if other member nations are not doing what is required of them.
I think France has to protect itself from being inundated with more Muslim immigrants who arrive by boat. Most of them are illiterate and unprepared to work. Europe and the West cannot afford to deal with the whole world's human misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 06:08 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,188,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
This is the main reason the UK will be leaving the EU. People are fed up with the lack of will on the part of governments to maintain integrity of our national borders.

Good riddance.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:06 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,441 times
The UK is not part of Schengen!

So even if an immigrant receives a Schengen visa, they cannot come to the UK without applying for another visa!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:04 AM

504 posts, read 465,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
First of all at least the issue is being addressed. Secondly he is talking about using greater integration as a tool to reduce the radicalisation of young muslims. Better than Merkel saying' you cant all come' or multi-kulti doesnt work lol...

Also for the poor muslim communities in northern england he is talking about, you also have these guys in London

Supercar season in London sees Lamborghinis and Ferraris jostle for space | Daily Mail Online

They integrate just fine...

Last time I checked even UKIPs party leader couldn't win a seat in parliament lol
No, "they" do not "integrate just fine".

How much time have you spent in Bradford, Burnley, Blackburn, Alum Rock, Handsworth?

Apartheid towns here in 2015 UK, only by CHOICE not enforcement. Multiculturalism does not work. It hasn't worked, despite your rose tinted portrayal of the UK. Trevor Phillips eloquently pointed this out a while ago, a fact that makes the immigration protagonists uncomfortable, seeing as he is an ex head of the CRE. I'm old enough to remember when this country was far less liberal and far more uptight. For somebody of my persuasion, it has been a slow, sure, organic improvement. Not in Tower Hamlets, mind, where a great many would dearly loved to push me off a high building if they thought they would get away with it.

There has been NO mandate for the social experiment that has occurred over the last 3 decades. Political consensus between the mainstream parties has left those who did not concur with nowhere to go other than the fringe, or not to vote. I happen to admire France and how it deals with the matter. It does not share the UK's squeamishness in defending it's culture. Come and live in France and you live as a Frenchman. I wish the UK would ban worship/praying in the street and the wearing of bhurkas in public.

As regards Schengen, France's borders are only as secure as Romania's or Bulgaria's. Or indeed, Italy's. I'm mightily glad we are not in it. The only answer to this problem is the Australian one - and the EU is too limp to contemplate it.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:06 AM

504 posts, read 465,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Yet it got almost 4 million votes.
Quite.

Those who shelter behind our absurd anachronism of a voting system really have no argument to put.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:38 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Italy was one of the main players in the intervention in Libya. Stop blaming France and the UK, you were there with them.
It was but the UK, the USA and France had a strong influence and pressured our government into intervening in Lybia. After all, our military bases have been key in the air strikes against Gaddafi's army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
you cant expect the whole of the African continent to just up sticks and move to Europe, it just isn't big enough, a better idea would be to spend the money that would be spent on these immigrants instead by fixing the problems in their own countries, therefore putting the people traffickers out of business and stopping the needless deaths on the sea crossings, but I suppose that's too simple for a mere politician to understand?
Unfortunately that's easier said than done, many African countries received million of aids from Western countries but they never reached the population, the situation in Subsaharian Africa won't improve overnight but since the early 00s most of the countries in the area have been growing far above the World's average so there's a chance that in a far future they may catch up with the Western world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
France and Italy have been breaking the rules on free movement for years. Even Germany had restrictions on migration from accession countries initially.

Only Britain and Sweden had open door migration to populations from Eastern Europe. That being said I think the UK is the most favoured destination for migrants as it is a very tolerant place.

I dont think many countries could absorb over 1 million EU migrants in less than a decade without any major problems like the UK did.

Given the awful estates (banlieues) in France packed with unemployed immigrants maybe it isnt such a bad thing...
I couldn't help but laugh at the bold part

Italy received 983k Romanians, 174k Albanians, 133k Ukrainians, 93k Moldovans, 41k Bulgarians, 17k Macedonians in the last 10 years and i'm talking only about Italy. Spain, Germany, the Netherlands and France were also absolutely flooded by immigrants coming from Eastern Europe but nobody is complaining as much as you do, we just get along with it mostly because they have integrated quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Yet it got almost 4 million votes.
As much as i dislike UKIP and far right ideology, it speaks volumes about how flawed their voting system is that the 4 million of people who chose to vote them won't have anyone to represent in the parliament

Last edited by improb; 07-28-2015 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 03:07 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,288,333 times
Indeed, Romanians, Albanians, Moldovans, Ukrainians are fairly common around here.

Most women from these countries are renowned to take care of Italy's oldest people.

I've already had kids from these countries when i was teaching French and until they told me I had no clue they were not Italian (aside that they had strange names).

Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Indeed, Romanians, Albanians, Moldovans, Ukrainians are fairly common around here.

Most women from these countries are renowned to take care of Italy's oldest people.

I've already had kids from these countries when i was teaching French and until they told me I had no clue they were not Italian (aside that they had strange names).
Yeah, Eastern European usually have a much easier time integrating than other ethnicities but i am sure that the same is true elsewhere since their culture is quite similar to ours. The only problem has been with Roma which refuse to change their lifestyle but once again the same is true elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe