Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:22 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
also the french people end their sentences with "neh"?
It's more hein, no ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 09:49 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
Quote:
I have no idea what you are referring to

Old 07-24-2015, 09:52 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,185,827 times
Quote:
Lol!

Old 07-24-2015, 09:58 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I have no idea what you are referring to
In Italy the stereotype about people from my region is that we say a "neh" at the end of every sentence, it is considered one of the most recognizable words of a piemontese accent.
"Neh" is actually used a lot in the dialect, it has the same meaning of "isn't it?" at the end of a sentence, but only few people really use it also while speaking Italian.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:59 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,185,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Bolognese is pretty normal accent to me, but it varies between people who were born there (like the old women in the neighbourhood) and younger people. The old people have it stronger for sure, but I like it. There is a local radio that I listen to a lot of the time which is pretty funny because they all have super strong bolognese accents and sometimes there are commercials in dialect (for things such as hearing problem solutions or a shop that sell prosciutto... not our age range indeed). Generally "Pizza" here sounds like "Pisza" but it's hard because i can't really say "zz" but more like "dz" because I'm French.

It varies a lot, generally I'd say the accents from Cremona to Forli / cesena (I don't know anyone from Rimini) are pretty standard for me, even though there is no such thing as standard italian.
Bolognese is quite funny but pleasant. I like Roman accents and southern ones (not dialects) too.
Our is similar to Forlì-Cesena, but there are some little differences, in general I can say to you that I spoke with almost all the vowels open.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:07 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
I believe it's distantly related to Hungarian oddly enough, Estonian too. I'm not sure how well these three respective speakers can understand each other though.
Yes, Finnish is related to Estonian, Karelian and Livonian (extinct), and distantly to Hungarian. But to take a wild guess, Finnish is probably as related to Hungarian as German is to Spanish.

Neither are Finnish and Estonian in anyway intelligibile. Can't read or understand Estonian.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:26 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, Finnish is related to Estonian, Karelian and Livonian (extinct), and distantly to Hungarian. But to take a wild guess, Finnish is probably as related to Hungarian as German is to Spanish.

Neither are Finnish and Estonian in anyway intelligibile. Can't read or understand Estonian.
They actually are to some quite high degree intelligible, at least the basics. In the restaurants here Finns make their order in Finnish and the waitress replies/asks them something in Estonian and it works almost flawlessly.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:34 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
They actually are to some quite high degree intelligible, at least the basics. In the restaurants here Finns make their order in Finnish and the waitress replies/asks them something in Estonian and it works almost flawlessly.
Sure to some extent and certainly easy to learn, and especially in customer service where you're exposed to Finnish regularly. But for example if we would meet, I think we would have to speak English if you don't know Finnish.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:05 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Outside of France, doesn't all of Western Europe have regional dialects? I think the "one France" ideal since the revolution had kind of standardized French (I know there is slight regional variation but not like the other countries), but I think every other country has a high degree of variation.

In Germany or Italy, if you travel even only 30km, the people are probably speaking a little different.
The situation of France used to be not much different of what is is in other countries such as Italy or Spain. Every region used to have not only specific accents but also their own language (or "dialects"). The huge majority of regional languages in France are dialects of the romance group, those languages are distinguishef into three sub-groups:
- Oil languages, to which standard french comes from, but also picard, Champenois, Angevin, Tourangeau... Those languages are usually considered "dialects"
- Oc languages, or Occitan, spoken in southern third of the country, that are somehow in between french , spanish and Italian: many different occitan dialects exist: nissard, Provençal, Langudocien, Gascon, Auvergnat, ect.
- Franco-provençal language, spoken in Rhone-Alpes, franche Comté, val d'Aoste and western Switerland,

Other romance languages are spoken in France
-Catalan, in Roussillon (Perpignan)
-corsican, in Corsica, closely related to Tuscan language

And at least we even have non-romance languages:
-one celtic language : Breton, spoken in western Britanny
-three germanic languages : alsacian and Mosellan in some parts of the north east corner.
And flemish, in a tiny part of the Nord departement (dunquerke)
- and Basque, which is the oldest language of France still existing, which dates back to neolithic times. And whic is not related to any other modern European language.

The difference with Spain or Italy is that the use of standard french as the common language is a bit older. As such most regional languages have disseapeared, especially those which are Oil dialects. The occitan dialects loose also their common use since a century, but still can be heard in a folkloric context (myself I learned songs in Occitan when I was a kid in the 80's, living in Provence), but I rarely heard it in a common context (outside of folkloric festivities and such).

Last edited by french user; 07-24-2015 at 02:13 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 02:31 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
^ those French regional languages exist for sure, but the questions is do people, especially the young people really still speak them on a daily basis?

For example, outside formal occasions, do people in Languedoc talk in Occitan when doing grocery shopping? Do teenagers chat in Occitan at school? Will parents talk Occitan to their children at home? Or they just speak French? Same for other dialects. That's what I wonder about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe