Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I have no idea what you are referring to
I think he's referring to some parts of Germany, where they say, basically "ne" to end some sentences. It kind of means "isn't it right".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 03:28 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
^ those French regional languages exist for sure, but the questions is do people, especially the young people really still speak them on a daily basis?

You already know the answer, right ? Everyone know the answer. The older you are, the most likely you are to speak the local dialect/language. If you're not in Alsace-Lorraine or Brittany, I don't think you'll see many young people speak anything else but French, as expected.

For example, outside formal occasions, do people in Languedoc talk in Occitan when doing grocery shopping? I don't think so, no. Do teenagers chat in Occitan at school? lol to this one. Will parents talk Occitan to their children at home? Maybe this one if you're born in a very traditional-oriented household. Or they just speak French? Same for other dialects. That's what I wonder about.

I'm really sorry for all those dialects, they should be protected, but on the other hand, I'm happy French is the preferred language everywhere in France. I wouldn't want to live in a country where every region speak a different language or a thing like that, it would be too tiredsome IMHO.
And please don't say anything about our language policy, that it sucks, that we're destroying our heritage or the like, we already know that. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, it's just an impression.

Nor me, nor my brother and sister, parents, grand parents, or even great grand parents spoke a "local" language. I just speak some Ch'ti, but that's because I learned it on my own for fun.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:18 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
Quote:
^ those French regional languages exist for sure, but the questions is do people, especially the young people really still speak them on a daily basis?

For example, outside formal occasions, do people in Languedoc talk in Occitan when doing grocery shopping? Do teenagers chat in Occitan at school? Will parents talk Occitan to their children at home? Or they just speak French? Same for other dialects. That's what I wonder about.
Both my grandfathers spoke occitan, but in two different forms. One had been born and raised in Paris, but his family was originally from Limousin area, which is the northernmost oc area, and apparently it was his native tongue. I've never heard him speak it.

My other grandpa was from Languedoc area and he used to say some words and expressions in occitan, even if i didn't necessarily understood it at the time. My grandparents used sone words and expressions which were sorts of french versions of occitan words. My grandpa mentioned to me that it was forbidden to speak occitan in school, and that was the 1930's.

I guess the situation in Italy currently is what it used to be in France almost a century ago. People under 80 years old rarely speak dialects at home in France. Hopefully 50 years from now, dialects will still be known in Italy.

We were raised with the idea that dialects were sub-languages that were worthless compared to The almighty beautiful parisian French.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:21 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Both my grandfathers spoke occitan, but in two different forms. One had been born and raised in Paris, but his family was originally from Limousin area, which is the northernmost oc area, and apparently it was his native tongue. I've never heard him speak it.

My other grandpa was from Languedoc area and he used to say some words and expressions in occitan, even if i didn't necessarily understood it at the time. My grandparents used sone words and expressions which were sorts of french versions of occitan words. My grandpa mentioned to me that it was forbidden to speak occitan in school, and that was the 1930's.

I guess the situation in Italy currently is what it used to be in France almost a century ago. People under 80 years old rarely speak dialects at home in France. Hopefully 50 years from now, dialects will still be known in Italy.

We were raised with the idea that dialects were sub-languages that were worthless compared to The almighty beautiful parisian French.
Italy is way more fragmented than France, hence it comes the much higher linguistic and cultural difference among people even within a few km.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:26 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,933,827 times
From my Understanding is that Russian is relatively uniform throughout the world considering how many people speak it. However there are regional differences, mainly a north south continuum. And I also heard from someone that people living in the Ob river basin over pronounce their O's, though I don't know if this is true. Also Ukrainian can be considered a continuum bridge connecting Russian and Polish, the closer you get to their respective borders the closer they sound to those countries.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:44 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,165 times
Quote:

For example, outside formal occasions, do people in Languedoc talk in Occitan when doing grocery shopping? Do teenagers chat in Occitan at school? Will parents talk Occitan to their children at home? Or they just speak French? Same for other dialects. That's what I wonder about.
No, those languages are not practiced now in everyday basis. Only Basque and corsican (maybe a bit alsacian, I don't know) are still spoken by some people, in some cases. But everwhere french is the dominant language, even in the isolated Corsica.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:07 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I think he's referring to some parts of Germany, where they say, basically "ne" to end some sentences. It kind of means "isn't it right".
No no, I was referring to the dialect we speak here in Piedmont (as I've already explained some posts ago). Anyway, I didn't know that it was used in some parts of Germany too, that's very interesting!

Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 AM

14 posts, read 13,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
No, those languages are not practiced now in everyday basis. Only Basque and corsican (maybe a bit alsacian, I don't know) are still spoken by some people, in some cases. But everwhere french is the dominant language, even in the isolated Corsica.

I was recently in Perpignan, and gypsies living in the decaying center do speak Catalan. Many Spanish that are living there since the civil war are ashamed of speaking Spanish. Quite idiotic.

Also some people along the border do speak Catalan due to the fact that southern Catalonia is far richer. I do write to a farmer in a "genealogical circle" that lives in a "mas" near Perpignan and he writes Catalan, and in fact, he's Catalan. But yes, there's a desire to stamp out all language....

Could you imagine that now they want to name the Area as "Septimania", the name of the Roman province. Authorities want to remove any identitarian name. Jacobinism.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:49 AM

667 posts, read 940,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
From my Understanding is that Russian is relatively uniform throughout the world considering how many people speak it. However there are regional differences, mainly a north south continuum. And I also heard from someone that people living in the Ob river basin over pronounce their O's, though I don't know if this is true. Also Ukrainian can be considered a continuum bridge connecting Russian and Polish, the closer you get to their respective borders the closer they sound to those countries.
As far as I understand, yes, Russian in Russia is pretty much uniform. However, there are some varieties in pronunciation, like "southern" г ("g") or pronouncing a clear unstressed O indeed (but I guess it's along the Volga, not Ob -- correct me if I am wrong).
Besides, people from the Caucasus (Chechnya, Dagestan etc) often have their accents when speaking Russian, even those who speak it as a first language. And they like to throw in some local words to their speech.
In the former Soviet republics, Russian is often spoken with the accent and with some local flavor. But it's hard to generalize since some people speak it natively and some only have a basic grasp. Here in Belarus, where Russian is the language number 1 for most people, at least in cities it is spoken almost like in Russia. In the provinces however, a mixed "trasyanka" language is common, i.e. Russian with Belarusian phonetics and a number of Belarusian words. In Minsk we can often spot a "provincial" person just by hearing his accent.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:23 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought, that the local dialects are replaced by standard French. It is bad from a cultural perspective but good in practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe