Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 06:28 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Music festivals are very popular in Portugal, there are lots of them and I think there is a term for young people traveling the country in the summer, visiting as many of them as possible. (I think it is festivalistas, but I am not sure.) But I don't like crowds, young people, alcohol and drugs, and odd music, so I never attend any such festivals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 06:35 AM

426 posts, read 394,515 times
I think you are talking of Romarias.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:40 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Music festivals are very popular in Portugal, there are lots of them and I think there is a term for young people traveling the country in the summer, visiting as many of them as possible. (I think it is festivalistas, but I am not sure.) But I don't like crowds, young people, alcohol and drugs, and odd music, so I never attend any such festivals

The bolded aren't my preference. But I do like some young people and some types of odd music. I do find some things that are not part of mainstream interesting mostly from a distance. Interesting to find those things represented in Portugal.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:37 AM

Yes, unfortunately, lots of drugs and alcohol around Funny that foreigners keep praising the country's liberal drug policy,..

Old 03-21-2016, 10:57 AM
AFP

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately, lots of drugs and alcohol around Funny that foreigners keep praising the country's liberal drug policy,..
What is your position on the policy?

From a distance it looks like it could use some tweaking.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:38 AM

From what I know they basically chose this path because they got inundated with drug problems in the past and could not afford to fight them. They lacked both the money and the professionals.

When I walk downtown I have to pass a couple of blocks where there are always drug addicts hanging around, lost people doing nothing day in day out, year in year out. It's just sad, really. There are a couple of benches nearby and I remember sitting there and observing them the other day. I saw people exchanging "things" in a suspicious way...

Portugal is also one of the countries with the highest percentages of mentally ill people.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM
AFP

What I do like about it as I have stated is that the focus is on offering treatment rather than being punitive. I also support the destigmatization of drug addicts and those with mental health disorders it makes absolutely no sense they are stigmatized more than alcoholics(which btw shouldn't be shamed either).

Old 03-21-2016, 02:24 PM

It is a difficult topic...

Frankly, I avoid anyone taking drugs, be it legal or illegal ones.
My father used to be an alcoholic, maybe that's why I have only contempt for addicts. I am the exact opposite, no drugs whatsoever in decades.

Just decriminalizing is not enough in my view, it doesn't solve the problem. Whatever the drug policy of a country is, its goal must be getting rid of drugs. And in that respect Portugal's policy has failed as well, although it may have failed a little bit less than the American war on drugs.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:18 PM
AFP

Quote:
It is a difficult topic...

Frankly, I avoid anyone taking drugs, be it legal or illegal ones.
My father used to be an alcoholic, maybe that's why I have only contempt for addicts. I am the exact opposite, no drugs whatsoever in decades.

Just decriminalizing is not enough in my view, it doesn't solve the problem. Whatever the drug policy of a country is, its goal must be getting rid of drugs. And in that respect Portugal's policy has failed as well, although it may have failed a little bit less than the American war on drugs.
You possibly have personalized their behaviors.

I don't see it moving in that direction particularly in reference to marijuana a lot of money to be made from heavily taxing it vs paying for the utterly riduculous drug war in addition the money would shift from the hands of the cartels and organized criminals to the govt.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:00 AM
AFP

Huge dramatic waves at Sagres Point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5_5hfv8co
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe