Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 02:10 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times

Advertisements

Wow! Portuguese poetry at it's best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0j8UjTfKY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 09:38 PM
AFP

Nice easy morning in Porto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re4_9blE4ts

Old 02-27-2016, 10:51 PM

749 posts, read 856,750 times

I remember those songs from when I was doing my erasmus year in Lisboa, good stuff!

Old 03-01-2016, 09:58 PM
AFP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsnxR2MEIVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86fURTDpYe0

Old 03-05-2016, 11:05 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I remember those songs from when I was doing my erasmus year in Lisboa, good stuff!
Glad you liked it. I find in them something unique I identify with. I am disturbed that so many singers in Portugal are singing in English.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:17 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Glad you liked it. I find in them something unique I identify with. I am disturbed that so many singers in Portugal are singing in English.
Portugal is actually one of those European countries where people still sing a lot in their own language. Things are much worse in Germany for instance.
Maybe one gets the wrong impression because abroad English-language songs are more likely to be played, which after all is the only purpose of singing in English, so mission accomplished

Another aspect is that the Portuguese have low self-esteem. So they always want to be acknowledged abroad. Knowing their language is limited to just a few countries, English is a good choice for people with international ambition.
Despite strong regional customs, the Portuguese are rather globalized, always have been, which may have to do with the small size of the country and its maritime location. Exports is another example, many companies export 90% or more of their products, because the national market is just too limited.

Last edited by Neuling; 03-05-2016 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-05-2016, 11:51 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Portugal is actually one of those European countries where people still sing a lot in their own language. Things are much worse in Germany for instance.
Maybe one gets the wrong impression because abroad English-language songs are more likely to be played, which after all is the only purpose of singing in English, so mission accomplished

Another aspect is that the Portuguese have low self-esteem. So they always want to be acknowledged abroad. Knowing their language is limited to just a few countries, English is a good choice for people with international ambition.
Despite strong regional customs, the Portuguese are rather globalized, always have been, which may have to do with the small size of the country and its maritime location. Exports is another example, many companies export 90% or more of their products, because the national market is just too limited.

What are your reasons for stating that the Portuguese have low self-esteem. I really am interested in your observations perhaps we can have a discussion. I do find Portuguese culture in general pessimistic and I have had exposure to Portuguese people and Portuguese-Americans that work hard at keeping up appearances but I don't quite understand your reasons for the low self-esteem statement.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:07 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
It is simply the impression I get. Sure, some are patriotic when it comes to soccer and other international sports events. But in my view that is mostly show, while deep inside people are aware how small and insignificant their country is by modern global standards. And of course all the recent problems and the supposed solutions forced upon them by foreign know-it-all's have not helped, either.
It also shows in the way the Portuguese keep emulating and preferring things that come from abroad, as if those things were better just because they are not Portuguese. Dying one's hair blonde is just one odd symptom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe