Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:34 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, every region has its own dialect (not accent, accents only apply to foreign languages afaik), I am not even native, yet I can tell most of the dialects on the mainland apart by now, For native speakers that's even easier, and Madeira is just one of many, there is nothing distinct or special about Madeira.

Actually, in view of the distance I find it surprising how similar Madeirenses are to mainland Portuguese people.

I find the Azores more distinct somehow, and they feel different, more like Ireland

They sure think so and will remind you of it.

Dialect isn't a word used much out here in California the only people I hear using that word are Filipinos.

I like the comparison with Ireland(although not the eastern group of islands).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:38 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
I don't mind old people, I am not the youngest anymore, either. But what this country needs is young people, not old ones.

Also, there is a fairness problem when old Portuguese people live on tiny pensions and in some cases can't even afford a meal every day, while retirees from abroad come here and buy expensive homes and so on.

Portuguese politicians are stupid, especially the recent government. Just think of that golden visa program or whatever it is called, where they allow rich foreigners to buy their way into the country. Of course it has turned into a corruption scandal, as usual. Not to mention the criminals from China, Russia, and elsewhere that have come via that program.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:56 PM
AFP

Quote:
I don't mind old people, I am not the youngest anymore, either. But what this country needs is young people, not old ones.

Also, there is a fairness problem when old Portuguese people live on tiny pensions and in some cases can't even afford a meal every day, while retirees from abroad come here and buy expensive homes and so on.

Portuguese politicians are stupid, especially the recent government. Just think of that golden visa program or whatever it is called, where they allow rich foreigners to buy their way into the country. Of course it has turned into a corruption scandal, as usual. Not to mention the criminals from China, Russia, and elsewhere that have come via that program.

I'm not surprised.

There is a huge amount of youth with talent in the Portuguese diaspora that's who they should be reaching out to.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:57 PM
AFP

Quote:
Well, every region has its own dialect (not accent, accents only apply to foreign languages afaik), I am not even native, yet I can tell most of the dialects on the mainland apart by now, For native speakers that's even easier, and Madeira is just one of many, there is nothing distinct or special about Madeira.

Actually, in view of the distance I find it surprising how similar Madeirenses are to mainland Portuguese people.

I find the Azores more distinct somehow, and they feel different, more like Ireland

As far a beauty goes I find Sao Miguel to the prettiest island in the Azores.

The American Expat that wrote the attached article sounds quiete happy living there.

The Azores of Portugal: Expat Paradise Off the Beaten Path - EFAM | Escape From America MagazineEFAM | Escape From America Magazine

Old 12-12-2015, 07:33 AM

9,365 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

I'm not surprised.

There is a huge amount of youth with talent in the Portuguese diaspora that's who they should be reaching out to.
The same can be said of the Italian diaspora.

Talented people seek, among other things, the opportunity for upward mobility. Fat chance the gerontocracy in countries like Portugal and Italy would allow it, hence taxation that asphyxiates any initiative from the moment of start up.

As a result, the talented and honest vote with their feet, the talented and dishonest suck up the corruption.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:55 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The same can be said of the Italian diaspora.

Talented people seek, among other things, the opportunity for upward mobility. Fat chance the gerontocracy in countries like Portugal and Italy would allow it, hence taxation that asphyxiates any initiative from the moment of start up.

As a result, the talented and honest vote with their feet, the talented and dishonest suck up the corruption.
I have an uncle that moved back 20+ years ago after being in the diaspora for over 20 years he met resistance initially and found out the only way to make off well is to schmooze with all the decision makers by wining and dining them and learning all the ropes. I know for a fact in the smaller to mid sized cities that's how you get your paperwork pushed ahead luckily he had a restaurant.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:36 PM
AFP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO0LIpC_HCU

Old 12-28-2015, 01:59 PM

82 posts, read 113,691 times
Quote:

While it is true that there are regional dialects in mainland Portugal, European Portuguese is relatively homogeneous linguistically especially compared with other European countries. The differences where they exist tend do be on pronunciation, as even with the islands there grammar and vocabulary is largely uniform.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:12 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
While it is true that there are regional dialects in mainland Portugal, European Portuguese is relatively homogeneous linguistically especially compared with other European countries. The differences where they exist tend do be on pronunciation, as even with the islands there grammar and vocabulary is largely uniform.
Depends on the level the language is spoken at. Educated people speak a much more similar Portuguese across the country.
But older and less educated people often speak dialects which are hard to understand for someone from another part of the country. It is indeed mostly about pronunciation and vocabulary, each region has lots of terms that are not known in other regions.
There is a little series of books for various dialects, it is called Heróis à moda de ..., currently available for Porto, Lisbon, the Alentejo, the Algarve, Madeira, the Azores, Trás-os-Montes and probably some more regions.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:17 PM

82 posts, read 113,691 times
Quote:
Depends on the level the language is spoken at. Educated people speak a much more similar Portuguese across the country.
But older and less educated people often speak dialects which are hard to understand for someone from another part of the country. It is indeed mostly about pronunciation and vocabulary, each region has lots of terms that are not known in other regions.
There is a little series of books for various dialects, it is called Heróis à moda de ..., currently available for Porto, Lisbon, the Alentejo, the Algarve, Madeira, the Azores, and probably some more regions.
I agree to some extent when it comes to local words, but the only time I've been all over the country and the only time I have ever had to some trouble was in São Miguel. Even the regionalisms are often a few words and at least I've never had an issue understanding even older people. It certainly is not even as extreme as the situation in Great Britain where certain regional dialects are so different from one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe