Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 06:16 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
We call it erre moscia (wimpy r): it sounds like French R, usually in its most exaggerated forms it resembles a vibrant V.
The reason I asked was that we have the same phenomena in Russian ( where the "r"s are similar to yours)
Some people can't pronounce it properly (they pronounce it the way you describe) and it were mostly Jewish kids who were pronouncing it this way. Why is it - I have no idea))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
Aren't rs a little like eggs. They can be flapped, rolled, w-ised &c

The first recording abounds with swearwords. But its maker has the Grace to apologise beforehand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dABo_DCIdpM

The second is cleaner, and, though great, perhaps less entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Rb2vKiXJs

And each can be taken seriously

Rotflmao)))) French-German-Italian-Nigerian were the tops)))

And yes, he rolls his "r"s very well when he needs to))))

Old 01-20-2016, 08:00 PM

786 posts, read 811,870 times
I'm afraid that the second recording (of outtakes &c) went in in error
The following is what was intended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwKuKSbFDs

Last edited by OldChina; 01-20-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 09:00 PM

919 posts, read 840,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Okay, so the lips are in a similar position for the English /w/ and /r/. It is true that little children sometimes have trouble with the /r/ sound and substitute /w/, but it had not occurred to me that they might sound similar to speakers of other languages.
Actually I didn't find this situation until I read something like the blog. I just pronounce /r/ without noticing the position of my lips.

Anyway, the method is very useful for Japanese who learn English. I think the purpose of preparing the /w/ first is to prevent Japanese from pronouncing retroflex flap or [l].

Quote:
That looks like a fun blog, by the way.
Glad to heart that

Old 01-20-2016, 09:50 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Listen whoever you are - we were having a nice conversation here with Old China with tea and crumpets about the letter "R," and you barged in like... like.. an elephant into China shop with your "Received Pronunciation" and your reps ratio that no one cares about.
You have nothing to brag about in that department yourself so let us be and talk about the letter "R" all we want.

Hi five OldChina))))
I barged in........

I had the first reply in the thread............Check it out.

I wonder if you also have difficulty with English comprehension? Wouldn't surprise me.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I barged in........

I had the first reply in the thread............Check it out.

I wonder if you also have difficulty with English comprehension? Wouldn't surprise me.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:11 AM

786 posts, read 811,870 times
A topic on as noble a subject as phonetics is no place for argy-bargy tantamount to wrangling
And he who barged-in ('first' or otherwise) must needs barge-out. If he cannot understand the standard pronunciation, let's put it as bah·adzh-out

Old 01-21-2016, 12:58 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The R sound is not difficult in English, it's the TH sound which creates problems.
Never been able to master the TH sound despite going to speech therapy, and I can't roll my Rs for Finnish. Useless in both languages *sigh*

Old 01-21-2016, 04:24 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Never been able to master the TH sound despite going to speech therapy, and I can't roll my Rs for Finnish. Useless in both languages *sigh*
TH can be a hard sound for English-speaking children, too, and is one of the last typically mastered. My son, who is a native speaker, could not articulate either of the TH sounds at the age of 8 (he substituted F and V). Of course, this was exceptionally late, so he went through a short course of speech therapy, which did the trick.

Non-native speakers tend to use either s/z or t/d for the TH sounds. There are a few dialects which use t/d, also.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:42 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Quote:
TH can be a hard sound for English-speaking children, too, and is one of the last typically mastered. My son, who is a native speaker, could not articulate either of the TH sounds at the age of 8 (he substituted F and V). Of course, this was exceptionally late, so he went through a short course of speech therapy, which did the trick.

Non-native speakers tend to use either s/z or t/d for the TH sounds. There are a few dialects which use t/d, also.
I'm a native English speaker and always substituted D for TH (and V for F and got M and N mixed up, speech therapy files those though). Now my poor kid only really heard English from me so she does the same, also substituted W for R and Y for L.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe