Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:54 PM

486 posts, read 445,834 times

Advertisements

The letter R can have so many different pronunciations in various European languages.

In English the R sound is quite a bit different then practically every other European language. Although there a different ways to roll the R.

I'm from Canada and I'm a native English speaker but I can speak quite a bit of German and in German French and Dutch the R is known as the guttural R.

Although in Spanish Italian and Russian the R or as in Russian the P has a more rolled sound from the front of throat rather than the back of the throat like the Guttural R is in German Dutch and French.

I can pronounced guttural R perfectly fine but the letter R sound in Spanish and Italian I just can't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 09:24 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Toad 32 View Post
The letter R can have so many different pronunciations in various European languages.

In English the R sound is quite a bit different then practically every other European language. Although there a different ways to roll the R.

I'm from Canada and I'm a native English speaker but I can speak quite a bit of German and in German French and Dutch the R is known as the guttural R.

Although in Spanish Italian and Russian the R or as in Russian the P has a more rolled sound from the front of throat rather than the back of the throat like the Guttural R is in German Dutch and French.

I can pronounced guttural R perfectly fine but the letter R sound in Spanish and Italian I just can't do.
Can you do the Massachusetts R, as in: I pahk my cah in Haavad square?

Old 01-18-2016, 11:30 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Toad 32 View Post

Now I'm at the cellphone, so i can't give you a long answer.
Anyway I just wanted to say that also for some native speakers the R is difficult to say. It is called "R moscia" and In here it is one of the most common pronunciation defects. When I will be at the computer I will look for a video with someone who speaks in that way as an example.
I would also like to add that for some of us the mispronunciation of our language by foreigners could be annoying (considering how good we are at foreign languages I find it quite stupid), but usually we can understand you. In particular in the case of "R" it is difficult to misunderstand what the other is saying, also if he is using a different "R" sound. For me it is more challenging to understand someone who can't say double letters or that stresses the words on the wrong syllables for example.

Last edited by Urania93; 01-18-2016 at 11:42 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 02:22 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
sometimes the "R" in Italian sounds like "L" to me. I have no clue on how to make the rolled R honestly, although it exists in some French dialects.

I find the Spanish "R" much more harsh, but this mostly applies to Spanish from Spain, although there are probably regional variations.

Conversely, german "R" is very easy for me, it's just like in French, mostly, at least, to my ears.

In Italy there also exist variations. I have a friend from Milan, he sounds like a belgian to me, his "R" is harsher than mine IMO.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:44 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,719 times
We're as screwed with your English R as you are with our Spanish R.
Regardless, the way English speakers pronounce some of our sounds is pretty cute, me thinks.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:13 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

Conversely, german "R" is very easy for me, it's just like in French, mostly, at least, to my ears.
IMO the pronunciation of the R varies greatly by region. Some Austrian and German dialects roll it, some don't. I can't roll it, but some Bavarians and people from the Innviertel do.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:28 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
When you practise alone it goes better. Don't be too afraid on spitting someones face

Old 01-19-2016, 03:52 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times
Most English-speakers pronounce the "R" as a W.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 AM

504 posts, read 465,820 times
I always had trouble rolling my r's.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:34 AM

957 posts, read 1,134,090 times
Albananians and Venetians are those who most roll the R
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe