Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite?
London 7 11.67%
Paris 4 6.67%
Brussels 1 1.67%
Berlin 9 15.00%
Moscow 3 5.00%
Milan 1 1.67%
Barcelona 6 10.00%
Athens 1 1.67%
Lisbon 6 10.00%
Stockholm 3 5.00%
Dublin 0 0%
Amsterdam 2 3.33%
Oslo 1 1.67%
Helsinki 1 1.67%
Geneva 2 3.33%
Another 13 21.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:53 PM

218 posts, read 199,594 times

Advertisements

Guys that's Great to post but it's even better to explain why...Why did you choose Amsterdam, Lisbon, Berlin..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 12:58 PM

242 posts, read 262,994 times
To me the most beautiful city in the world is Venice unfortunately it is in Italy LOL.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:01 PM

191 posts, read 167,443 times
Why did you put Milan on the list? There are at least 3 better options in Italy.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:02 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
I felt Brussels to be a dirty and dangerous city (at least a few areas of it), and surely it has its few shares of criminal people, politicians should do something about that.
I didn't really feel dangerous there but Brussels is indeed really dirty, by European standard, and grey. Not a very pretty city, generally speaking.

There were also lots of homeless people on the streets, you don't see a lot of those in the nearby NL.

Overall I find the difference between Belgium and the Netherlands surprisingly staggering, considering how close these two countries are geographically and culturally. The Netherlands functions so much better in most ways an outsider could immediately tell: public transportation, traffic, pavement, employment, homelessness etc.

Bruges is very pretty though, I'll give you that.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
To me the most beautiful city in the world is Venice unfortunately it is in Italy LOL.
Unfortunately?

Old 01-24-2016, 01:05 PM

242 posts, read 262,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDenizen View Post
Unfortunately?
LOL yes unfortunately.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
Why did you put Milan on the list? There are at least 3 better options in Italy.

3 better options? I guess you mean Rome, Venice and Naples?

I put Milan because it is the economic capital of Italy, it's biggest city. Don't forget : I ask you what is the best city, not the most beautiful so that means things like beauty of course but also economic growth, jobs, crime, public transportation, cost of living and so on...Milan was a reasonable choice to represent Italy.
But that doesn't stop you from telling us how other Italian cities are better than Milan, that would be good to know

Old 01-24-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I didn't really feel dangerous there but Brussels is indeed really dirty, by European standard, and grey. Not a very pretty city, generally speaking.

There were also lots of homeless people on the streets, you don't see a lot of those in the nearby NL.

Overall I find the difference between Belgium and the Netherlands surprisingly staggering, considering how close these two countries are geographically and culturally. The Netherlands functions so much better in most ways an outsider could immediately tell: public transportation, traffic, pavement, employment, homelessness etc.

Bruges is very pretty though, I'll give you that.
Maybe that's because I just visited Downtown Brussels and what's near + around Le Parc du Cinquentenaire near the European Commission but I really feel like you're describing another city...when I worked there last summer I didn't see a dirty city, the weather was ok but not great even if I'm used to it because we have the same in the North of France.
I barely saw homeless people, only some gypsies..

The Grand Place I really beautiful, when the night comes it's magical!
The Atomium is pretty cool, Le Parc du Cinquentaine is really nice.

That's why your comment seems weird to me...maybe you just saw the ghettos such as Molenbeek? I didn't visit these.

But I agree that The Netherlands is more beautiful and better organized that Belgium, pretty clear. More dynamic too.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:34 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDenizen View Post
Maybe that's because I just visited Downtown Brussels and what's near + around Le Parc du Cinquentenaire near the European Commission but I really feel like you're describing another city...when I worked there last summer I didn't see a dirty city, the weather was ok but not great even if I'm used to it because we have the same in the North of France.
I barely saw homeless people, only some gypsies..

The Grand Place I really beautiful, when the night comes it's magical!
The Atomium is pretty cool, Le Parc du Cinquentaine is really nice.

That's why your comment seems weird to me...maybe you just saw the ghettos such as Molenbeek? I didn't visit these.

But I agree that The Netherlands is more beautiful and better organized that Belgium, pretty clear. More dynamic too.
I went to all those places, they were all decent, but not outstanding imo.

I don't think it's a really dirty city, but dirtier than other European big cities, or maybe it was grittier or more rundown? I don't remember the details.

Basilique Nationale du Sacré-Cœur is pretty cool though. It's the highlight of the city imo.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I went to all those places, they were all decent, but not outstanding imo.

I don't think it's a really dirty city, but dirtier than other European big cities, or maybe it was grittier or more rundown? I don't remember the details.

Basilique Nationale du Sacré-Cœur is pretty cool though. It's the highlight of the city imo.

I didn't visit so many big cities but Brussels felt less dirty than Paris because some parts of Paris are really dirty, particularly around Gare du Nord...London was cleaner from what I saw but it's not astoundingly cleaner. Amsterdam seems much cleaner though but I didn't see it so I can't be sure.

You seem a bit blasé, or maybe I'm too excited because I'm a 20-something that lived most of his life in villages, small towns and mid-sized cities in France so I could be easily impressed
Lille, one of France's biggest cities where I lived for a while, is way dirtier and gray than Brussels that I can confirm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe