Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 02:39 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMAHN11 View Post
Visiting my brother who's going to college in London. I just graduated college and am seriously thinking about staying long term in Europe. I guess i'm trying to start a new life for myself. So where would the best place to move in terms of everything....think about new york and how you could do almost anything there, any european countries that inhabit similar characteristics. I open to any country, any city, that i can do anything i want. I dont have a lot of money so cost is also very important. I would like to find a apartment, not a hostel with other people, that is cheap and doesn't need to be anything nice. Obviously you guys don't know exactly, but I'm looking for a cheap/****ty apartments easily? Also, i only speak english but id definitely try to learn the language of the country i live in. Think about europe and its possibilities. Please give me any information and any personal details.
I'll say Im not 100% sure what i want to do, but i need to start somewhere
You're going to need a visa to stay in most countries longer than 90 days... You could stay in Albania for a year without a visa though?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_r...tates_citizens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 04:16 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,005,213 times
I've checked out Lviv, Odessa and Kiev on google maps. They appear to be very nice cities. I'm impressed by the architecture and general look of the cities. If anyone has a lived or visited I would appreciate your opinion. Maybe it would be worth checking out some day.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:55 PM

360 posts, read 1,088,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
What's the vibe like there? Is is a fun, upbeat kind of place or dour and sad. I'm kind of curious about that part of europe. I like that it's in the southeast quandrant, so that the weather's probably not bad but also not too hot. I've lived in Canada too long to be able to tolerate for long excessively hot weather. I dated a few bulgarians and a romanian girl and liked the culture.
Sorry, don't know yet, but we're planning to visit soon! What I do know about the weather is pretty hot summers, very cold winters, great spring and autumn. English appears to be widely spoken, to varying degrees, in Romania, Serbia, and Macedonia. That, excellent Internet in Romania, decent in Bulgaria, not sure elsewhere, plus much more affordable than most of Europe, makes it worth a look for retirement.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:07 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Switzerland- Zurich and Geneva are very easy cities to get by in, and the Swiss are known for their hospitable, welcoming society. Not to mention, the Swiss dialects of French and German are much easier to learn. I know an American who recently moved there and was able to quickly obtain work on a Chocolate Farm.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:34 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,855 times
In Sopot, Poland on the Baltic coast you will get luxury on a shoestring budget.

I also found Berlin to be very cheap in comparison to basically all other western European capitals, in terms of food, drink and hotels. Dinner for around €10 and hotel for less than €100 for 2 persons for 3 nights, big glass of beer for around €1 not too uncommon. Can't really think of any other western European capital that offers that, correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:12 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Switzerland- Zurich and Geneva are very easy cities to get by in, and the Swiss are known for their hospitable, welcoming society. Not to mention, the Swiss dialects of French and German are much easier to learn. I know an American who recently moved there and was able to quickly obtain work on a Chocolate Farm.
You've got to be kidding me. Cheap Switzerland? Maybe in an alternate universe.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:04 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I am not sure the Swiss variants of French and German are necessarily easier to learn as was claimed.

The French spoken in Switzerland is very, very similar to the French spoken in France. So no big difference there at all.

As for German, I am not an expert but Swiss German is the furthest from "standard" (sic) German of all the varieties of German spoken in Europe.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not sure the Swiss variants of French and German are necessarily easier to learn as was claimed.

The French spoken in Switzerland is very, very similar to the French spoken in France. So no big difference there at all.

As for German, I am not an expert but Swiss German is the furthest from "standard" (sic) German of all the varieties of German spoken in Europe.
I suppose you really think I know someone who works on a chocolate farm as well?

This guy is clearly clueless and has no realistic way to move to ANY European City.. much less legally. You can't expect everyone to give a serious reply.

Edit: before the bit about Switzerland I did offer some more serious advice. Scroll up a bit.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:13 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,855 times
Swiss German (which is a broad defenition as there are many, many dialects in Switzerland) is as mutually unintelligible with Standard German as Dutch is, in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdBMmzNXeUQ

Old 03-01-2016, 04:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I suppose you really think I know someone who works on a chocolate farm as well?

This guy is clearly clueless and has no realistic way to move to ANY European City.. much less legally. You can't expect everyone to give a serious reply.

Edit: before the bit about Switzerland I did offer some more serious advice. Scroll up a bit.
Hahaha sorry. Didn't sense the sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe