Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 04:28 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times

Advertisements

All Bulgarian cities, not just Sofia are just vampires and communists.

Choose UK or Germany: They're extremely tolerant towards Muslims, Blacks and Eastern Europeans and will give you benefits making your live 100 times cheaper. Half-serious, half-jk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 05:17 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Swiss German (which is a broad defenition as there are many, many dialects in Switzerland) is as mutually unintelligible with Standard German as Dutch is, in general
I think a fair comparison would be Jamaican English and Midwestern Canadian English

Old 05-26-2016, 02:04 AM

21 posts, read 31,018 times
I came accross this thread and wanted to react to a couple of things that have been said and that may be confusing to Americans (since this thread was initiated by an American). I live in Brussels, I read a reply in favour of Brussels and what was said was true: rents are cheap, it is an international city and you can manage with English although the main language is French. However, I am not sure that would be the best option... Brussels suffers from bad management, it is the most jammed city in Europe, public transportation is not great when not on strike and it has a large expat population living in its own world (mainly EU and NATO civil servants + expats working in the numerous European HQs of large companies)... also, 35% of the population is Muslim (from Morocco and Turkey) with an unfavourable reputation if that is a factor of any kind. Another thing that needs to be clear is that there is still a significant between Western and Eastern Europe, Eastern Europe will definiitely be cheaper (unless you pick Kiev or Moscow) but it is also another planet in many fields. I think a good pick would be Berlin... it is cheap, vibrant, very open-minded, international, culturally very eventful and the home of many young people from all over the world.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:54 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
15 Cheap Places To Visit In Europe | Rough Guides

Old 05-26-2016, 12:18 PM

469 posts, read 577,378 times
I've heard Albania is extremely cheap although I've never been there. Also, it's supposedly nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be. It's actually quite nice and very pretty according to a guy I know who's gone there a few times.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:49 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Budapest is really really really really really really cheap, and it's also very pretty, so Budapest +1.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:04 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,948,208 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Prague.

Super cheap cost of living, while being on the same standards as a Western European major city. With a college degree, it's very easy to get a freelance job teaching English (which also provides you with a visa). There's also a booming market for IT / Programming jobs. Being in central Europe (as opposed to Eastern Europe or the Baltics), you've got easy access to the "nice" areas of Western Europe people like to visit (Zurich, Paris, Munich, Berlin, Vienna, etc). Also, Czech beer is way better than German beer, as much as it pains me to say it. They do Pilsners right.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:26 AM

21 posts, read 31,018 times
Prague is a good one indeed but feeling like a village next to Berlin.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:47 PM

11 posts, read 18,487 times
Prague, Budapest, Lviv.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:51 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Prague is far more expensive than Budapest. Still cheap by Western European standard but not the cheapest by any means, and it's crazy touristy, which means there are a crapload of tourist traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe