Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:31 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Spain took a part in the construction of Eurofighter (more modern than this Su-37 demonstrator, more on the level of the Su-35S that came in Paris (ie, your first video).) , they definitely aren't stupid at all. They also built ships such as the f310 class for Norway... or F100 for themselves (and more in general boats in their Navy).

Lame and incompetent they are anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8GifZ0g2MQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 01:33 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
How Spain became the West’s superstar economy - Telegraph.co.uk

Spanish economy outperforms expectations to grow 3.2% in 2016

About the military thing. Spain was inside of the 10th countries with the biggest military industry. I think it was the 5th or the 6th ? I don't remember well. But i'm sure it was between the first 8.

Spain is also amongst the first car producers in the world. Many of whom are German cars, Mercedes for example has truck and van factories in Spain if I don't remember bad.

Of course Germany also has an excellent car production, industry and military industry. This post is off topic for this thread, btw.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:30 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Wwwwwhaaaat?! The unemployment of Germany is 6.3% (official German statistics) while the official Spanish unemployment is a bit more than 18%. Where do you see that more than 4x higher? Whaaaaaat?!?!?!?
Reading comprehension must not be your strength. I said by ILO standards which is the only way to objectively compare unemployment rates because who is considered unemployed differs everywhere. By ILO standards, the German unemployment rate in 2016 was 4.3%, Spain 19.4%. So yeah, it's almost 5x higher. Unemployment, total (% of total labor force) (modeled ILO estimate) | Data

Quote:
So? How exactly so? Meanwhile the German government makes you work for 400€ a month, the Spanish one gives you 426€ just if you agree to sign up in the public system to seek a job... So ?
The German government makes nobody work for 400 EUR a month and those who actually work on that salary and have no additional income are entitled to government benefits to make ends meet. Don't claim things you know nothing about. The vast majority of those are students or other part-timers anyways.
In Germany if unemployed you receive about 60% of your last salary for a year, then it's about EUR 400 per month plus housing costs. Apparently more generous than Spain. I don't see how unemployment benefits allow any conclusion about the economic state of a country though.

Quote:
So? France has 72%. Italy 48%. Spain can be compared to France and Italy. That's much more than Italy and similar to France. I wonder how many are temporary workers in Germany too...
Well this thread is about comparing Spain with Germany, not with France or Italy. You could also say Ethiopia is not too bad because it's worse in Somalia. Compared to Germany Spain performes significantly worse economically. That's not to say that Spain is third world country by any means, but it doesn't play in Germany's (or Austria's, UK's, Sweden's, France's...) league.
Temporary workers make up about 30% of all recent uni grads, what about Spain? 75%?

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that in Germany the most frequent degrees are related to economics, business, all kinds of engineering... right? Luckily in Spain, year by year those degrees are becoming a big majority.
I don't know and I don't care but the fact still remains.

Last edited by Rob702; 05-12-2017 at 02:38 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 03:20 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Spain took a part in the construction of Eurofighter (more modern than this Su-37 demonstrator, more on the level of the Su-35S that came in Paris (ie, your first video).) , they definitely aren't stupid at all. They also built ships such as the f310 class for Norway... or F100 for themselves (and more in general boats in their Navy).
I'm sure they do - they ARE part of Europe after all, it's just that Southern Europe is not a powerhouse of technology.
Northern Europe is.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:04 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,224 times
Italy and France have better fighters than Russia. Russia is a third world country, with the same GNP than Spain but 3.5 times the population. Russia is not in the EEU, and certainly, not northern Europe at all.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:27 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Reading comprehension must not be your strength. I said by ILO standards which is the only way to objectively compare unemployment rates because who is considered unemployed differs everywhere. By ILO standards, the German unemployment rate in 2016 was 4.3%, Spain 19.4%. So yeah, it's almost 5x higher. Unemployment, total (% of total labor force) (modeled ILO estimate) | Data

The German government makes nobody work for 400 EUR a month and those who actually work on that salary and have no additional income are entitled to government benefits to make ends meet. Don't claim things you know nothing about. The vast majority of those are students or other part-timers anyways.
In Germany if unemployed you receive about 60% of your last salary for a year, then it's about EUR 400 per month plus housing costs. Apparently more generous than Spain. I don't see how unemployment benefits allow any conclusion about the economic state of a country though.

Well this thread is about comparing Spain with Germany, not with France or Italy. You could also say Ethiopia is not too bad because it's worse in Somalia. Compared to Germany Spain performes significantly worse economically. That's not to say that Spain is third world country by any means, but it doesn't play in Germany's (or Austria's, UK's, Sweden's, France's...) league.
Temporary workers make up about 30% of all recent uni grads, what about Spain? 75%?

Fifth Economy in the Eurozone, and before the crisis stepped Italy and the UK. As I mentioned, ILO standards are not valid in Spain and Italy.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
The ILO data is a joke. The only valid data is the official unemployment rate of each country. Germany has 6.3%, Spain something more than 18%. End of the discussion.

Quote:
humm I take your phrase to be applied for yourself "Don't claim things you know nothing about."

Actually in Spain if someone becomes unemployed he/she will receive 70-75% of their last salary in the first 12 months, 60% after the 12th month and if it's very long unemployed I think that the 3rd year it falls to 50 or 55%. Those 426€ are the minimum social statal welfare for those ones who don't have unemployment benefit and it also can be applied with different rental aids, minimum incomes aids, etc

For example the Basque Region or Castille and León can give to an individual up 700-750€ per month just in welfare. The fact is that 7 million germans work in 400€/month minijobs which massively decreases the unemployment rate. You can't prove who is a student and who has another work. Or if you can, do it, and let's see... i'm sure that many unemployed germans have 2 minijobs...

Quote:
Yes of course it plays on the same league... we are not speaking about Greece, Hungary or Bulgaria.

Quote:

Which fact? that's an invented number by yourself. We can't know how much temporary workers make of the recent uni grads but i'm sure that it's not that far in both countries.

No one said that Spain is richer than Germany but it's a better country to live in at overall. Finally, the median net wage of Germany is 500€ more per month than in Spain. But the life is a lot more expensive...

The German lifestyle, culture for be only working, climate, environment, etc don't make it the perfect place for live. Switzerland is perfection, not Germany...

Old 05-12-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Italy and France have better fighters than Russia.
You mean Typhoon? Yeah right, "Italy and France" - start digging))) and you'll come to GmbH soon enough)))

Quote:
Russia is a third world country, with the same GNP than Spain but 3.5 times the population.
Let's see what exactly stands behind Spain's economic success, shall we?

First - let's check the strong points of Spanish economy - what exactly stands behind the success;

"Growth during the 1997-2007 period had been led by a property boom fed by historically low interest rates, massive rates of foreign investment (during that period Spain had become a favourite of other European investment banks) and an immense surge in immigration."
So..
I don't see any "innovative technology" here as a condition for "Spanish success" - rather a rise in pricing of the "waterfront property," good weather and access to the EU residence as a "formula of economic success."
Then next point would be the banking sector ( which is big in Europe overall I'd think,) with "special ties" of Spain to Latin America ( my guess,) but no "innovative technology" yet again. (By the way that's one of the reasons why former Spanish colonies never achieved the same level of success as former British colonies.)
Auto industry is an interesting point, with "German companies" that "poured €4.8 billion into Spain in 2015, making the country the second-largest destination for German foreign direct investment behind only the U.S. The lion’s share of that investment —€4 billion— went to the country’s auto industry.[101]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econom...External_Trade

Not only that, but out of 13 factories located in Spain, only one seems to be a genuine Spanish brand, and even that one is subsidiary of Volkswagen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...ustry_in_Spain

So really, from what I can see here, the major points of "successful Spanish economy" are close ties with other EU members ( notably Germany, ) banking sector ( ties with Latin America most likely,) tourism, agriculture and highly desirable property.
"Advanced technology?" not so much.
And that was the whole point - that Southern Europe is not a powerhouse of technological advances. Northern Europe is.

Quote:
Russia is not in the EEU, and certainly, not northern Europe at all.
It shouldn't be part of the EEU, but it's certainly in Northern Europe - Northeastern part to be exact; check the map))))

(I assure you it's too god damn cold in Moscow to be considered anything "Southern." )

Last edited by erasure; 05-12-2017 at 06:16 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You mean Typhoon? Yeah right, "Italy and France" - start digging))) and you'll come to GmbH soon enough)))

Let's see what exactly stands behind Spain's economic success, shall we?

First - let's check the strong points of Spanish economy - what exactly stands behind the success;

"Growth during the 1997-2007 period had been led by a property boom fed by historically low interest rates, massive rates of foreign investment (during that period Spain had become a favourite of other European investment banks) and an immense surge in immigration."
So..
I don't see any "innovative technology" here as a condition for "Spanish success" - rather a rise in pricing of the "waterfront property," good weather and access to the EU residence as a "formula of economic success."
Then next point would be the banking sector ( which is big in Europe overall I'd think,) with "special ties" of Spain to Latin America ( my guess,) but no "innovative technology" yet again. (By the way that's one of the reasons why former Spanish colonies never achieved the same level of success as former British colonies.)
Auto industry is an interesting point, with "German companies" that "poured €4.8 billion into Spain in 2015, making the country the second-largest destination for German foreign direct investment behind only the U.S. The lion’s share of that investment —€4 billion— went to the country’s auto industry.[101]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econom...External_Trade

Not only that, but out of 13 factories located in Spain, only one seems to be a genuine Spanish brand, and even that one is subsidiary of Volkswagen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...ustry_in_Spain

So really, from what I can see here, the major points of "successful Spanish economy" are close ties with other EU members ( notably Germany, ) banking sector ( ties with Latin America most likely,) tourism, agriculture and highly desirable property.
"Advanced technology?" not so much.
And that was the whole point - that Southern Europe is not a powerhouse of technological advances. Northern Europe is.

It shouldn't be part of EEU, but it's certainly in Northern Europe - Northeastern part to be exact; check the map))))

(I assure you it's god damn too cold in Moscow to be considered anything "Southern." )
Industry makes about 20% of the Spanish GDP

Tourism 10%.

Agriculture 2.5%... not sure why you included agriculture. Spain can be the European farm but it still plays a ridiculous amount in the total amount of the GDP.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Industry makes about 20% of the Spanish GDP

Tourism 10%.

Agriculture 2.5%... not sure why you included agriculture. Spain can be the European farm but it still plays a ridiculous amount in the total amount of the GDP.
Because it looks warm)))
And oranges are hanging from the trees everywhere)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe