Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 06:37 AM

27,304 posts, read 13,563,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Add to he equation another western country: Spain. Spain is much safer than the UK or France.

Damn, I didn't know that Spain was this safe compared to France. OMG: France vs Spain Crime Stats Compared

I know it was quite safer but not that much. Poor France, they have to control more their borders!
The problem with police stats is they only record police activity, and often if the police prioritise a certain crime and launch a crackdown this will be reflected in the figures.

Furthermore there are widely different definitions of crimes for instance the coverage of police recorded crime is defined by the Notifiable Offence List in the UK, which includes a broad range of violent offences, ranging from threats to kill and other verbal threats or threatening behaviour, harassment and assault without injury (common assault), to more serious offences such as ABH, GBH, Homicide etc. Over half of recorded assaults and violent crime in the UK result in no injury to anyone whatsoever.

Even rape can have different definitions in different countries and figures also often demonstrate victims willingness to come forward, and this often also depends on how seriously the police take such allegations. Indeed crime figures are often not black and white and this is especially the case in relation to international comparison and differences or indeed changes in recording methods and definitions should also be taken in to consideration, and there can be discrepancies in numerous types of crime.

The definition of rape in England and Wales was expanded as part of the Sexual Offences Act 2003, with corresponding legislation in Scotland in relation to the Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act 2009 as well as in Northern Ireland as part of the Sexual Offences (Northern Ireland) Order 2008.

Overview of violent crime and sexual offences - Office for National Statistics

Sexual Offences Act 2003 - Wikipedia

Rape in English law - Wikipedia

Did you know the legal definition of rape and 'consent' is changing? Here's how - Telegraph

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-03-2017 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 11:15 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,349,225 times
Don't forget Czechia and Slovenia. Very proud of our East European brothers

Old 11-05-2017, 11:38 PM

321 posts, read 335,208 times
The rape rate in Sweden is an outrage? What is the matter?

Old 11-06-2017, 01:05 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,749,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Interesting to note how a post bout the 3 most PEACEFUL countries in Europe quickly devolved into comparing crime rates of countries not ranked as the most peaceful. Guess many cannot deal with PEACE.
I was wondering about the same thing. The thread is not about crime. It is about whether a country is peaceful when it comes to international relations. This is why Syria is at 163/163, not because there are more crimes there. North Korea is at 150, although it is pretty safe internally. Yet people are bickering about things that are completely off topic, "my country is safer"! How ridiculous.

Now can we come back to the original topic? If you want to talk about crime/safety, open another thread for Christ's sake.

Of course Iceland, Denmark and Portugal are peaceful. They are small countries with little influence, little military power and have no conflicts with neighbours. I have a hard time believing USA (114) ranks higher than Russia (150). Considering Iraq and Syria, Russia's aggressiveness is nothing.

Last edited by botticelli; 11-06-2017 at 01:14 AM..

Old 11-06-2017, 02:41 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,145,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
How is Belgium ranked above the Netherlands
Aren't they exactly at the same spot? Tied for 19th overall.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:00 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,747,607 times
We're averaging bout 1 gang-related killing every 2 days in the Northern and Northwest areas of Copenhagen.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:25 PM

630 posts, read 528,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Of course Iceland, Denmark and Portugal are peaceful. They are small countries with little influence, little military power and have no conflicts with neighbours. I have a hard time believing USA (114) ranks higher than Russia (150). Considering Iraq and Syria, Russia's aggressiveness is nothing.
Given the list takes common crime into consideration and not just armed conflicts, I'm not sure what being small, influence, or the military can explain safety. Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador are even smaller, far less influential but are among the most dangerous places in a world not currently involved in a conflict.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:43 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,880,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I was wondering about the same thing. The thread is not about crime. It is about whether a country is peaceful when it comes to international relations. This is why Syria is at 163/163, not because there are more crimes there. North Korea is at 150, although it is pretty safe internally. Yet people are bickering about things that are completely off topic, "my country is safer"! How ridiculous.

Now can we come back to the original topic? If you want to talk about crime/safety, open another thread for Christ's sake.

Russia's bombing in Syria is nothing compared to the US's bombing in Syria?

Old 11-06-2017, 05:51 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,511,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
That’s what I was thinking as well. Not to mention Ukraine. I wouldn’t personally label either country as particularly peaceful, but that’s what happens when one has a lot of power. Botticelli on the other hand, only seems to criticise western countries for interference, yet turns a blind eye when it comes from a different faction.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,749,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
humm, except the Syrian government asked Russia to intervene, while the US did it without such an agreement. Does that make a difference to you?

Additionally, the US intervened in far more other countries than Russia did, from the Middle East to East Europe, to East Asia to South America. Russia of course is not a very peaceful country, but probably more so than the US.

And don't forget even if the two are equally bad, it still doesn't explain why the US is ranked a lot higher than Russia. You want to give a try?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe