Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 01:38 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
This is how you add bulk. Heavy weight, fewer reps, slow pace. I'm sure he'd let you work in or finish up quicker if you asked how many sets he has left.
but not resting 10mins. between sets? what's the point of that?

I know what he's talking about , guys comes in , sit down on bench, (hasn't lifted anything yet,) sits and plays with his ipod or phone for like 5 mins, lifts one set, then waits around staring at the ground for literally 10mins. until next set, lifts set number 2, adds more weight, talks to friend for 7mins, sits around for another 7 then does set three.

what is the purpose of resting that long? and these guys are a dime a dozen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Wow, this thread is making me wish I didn't have a gym membership.

I get the obvious wipe down your machine, work in, etc but the sheer number of people on here making "peeves" out of their own judgmental issues is sad. I sweat when I work out, I run on the treadmill, I was once a newbie who did not know how to use every machine or do sets like a professional.

I tell my friends who are anxious about joining a gym that people are too busy concentrating on their workouts to judge them harshly. Apparently I was wrong.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Wow, this thread is making me wish I didn't have a gym membership.

I get the obvious wipe down your machine, work in, etc but the sheer number of people on here making "peeves" out of their own judgmental issues is sad. I sweat when I work out, I run on the treadmill, I was once a newbie who did not know how to use every machine or do sets like a professional.

I tell my friends who are anxious about joining a gym that people are too busy concentrating on their workouts to judge them harshly. Apparently I was wrong.
I can't believe at some of the peeves myself. They are simply intrusive and for lack of a better term, stupid

The gyms thrive on membership. If you have one million peeves, you can bloody well work out in your garage

Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
My biggest peeve is members that spend more time lollygagging than actually working out. Wow, have health clubs become so watered down that people join just to chit-chat instead of train? Where I work out at, the members are there to TRAIN, not skin & grin. I suggested a policy to where if you spend more time lollygagging instead of working out, you can be asked to work out or leave; sounds harsh but maybe that will cut down on the chatty Cathys that chat for 10 minutes and do one or two reps, then leave acting like they worked out.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
I too don't like to engage in much conversation in the gym because I am there for a purpose..you wanna chit chat....call me later!

I am out of the country right now and have been working out in this gym. Some guy lifts weights and they are obviously too heavy because when he finishes, he just drops them....please..pick weights in your range until you can get to heavier weights!!! I wanted to smack him yesterday!!!

Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I too don't like to engage in much conversation in the gym because I am there for a purpose..you wanna chit chat....call me later!

I am out of the country right now and have been working out in this gym. Some guy lifts weights and they are obviously too heavy because when he finishes, he just drops them....please..pick weights in your range until you can get to heavier weights!!! I wanted to smack him yesterday!!!
That's ego lifting right there. I lift heavy but I ALWAYS put down the weights gently so as not to cause a disturbance. Also, as I'm lowering the weight I feel the resistance so that's an added benefit

Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
people who block the water fountain while chit chatting. Cmon, other people want to use it.

Other than that there's just your usual cadre of characters like you see at any gym. But they don't really bother me that much.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:50 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
How come everytime I walk into the locker room it will be empty. I then pick a locker and start to change, immediately some guy walks in and has to use the locker right next to mine. Never fails!

What's your gym pet peeve?
Horrible pop or rap music being blasted at 110 dB from the overhead speakers. That seems to be the norm in every gym I've been to. Why can't gyms play music that actually belongs in a weight room rather than Britney Spears and Fiddy Cent?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:57 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
My biggest peeve is members that spend more time lollygagging than actually working out. Wow, have health clubs become so watered down that people join just to chit-chat instead of train? Where I work out at, the members are there to TRAIN, not skin & grin. I suggested a policy to where if you spend more time lollygagging instead of working out, you can be asked to work out or leave; sounds harsh but maybe that will cut down on the chatty Cathys that chat for 10 minutes and do one or two reps, then leave acting like they worked out.
I take it you work out at a gym frequented by the frat boy and roid rage set? Been there, done that. They all sit on the benches and brag about how much they bench press and then maybe an hour later actually do any bench pressing. The frat boys bench press maybe one 45-pound plate on each side (135 pounds in total) and say how they are the s**t for bench pressing such a massive weight. The roid ragers put on something stupid like five plates, grunt and hoot a lot, lift off and then have the bar fall straight down on their chest because they obviously can't lift anywhere near the 500 pounds they put on the bar. They then have their buddies lift it off of them and then jaw-jack around for another hour about how they were "so close" before letting anybody else use the bench.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I now workout at our hospital's wellness center. During certain hours, the only people workingout are the elderly cardiac patients. Some come in using walkers right up to the treadmill. They go real slow on the treadmill but they do go. Its staffed with the usual trainers as well as registered nurses. I've been to fashion show gyms. They seemed to try to be a spa more than a gym or health club. At on gym, a physically sexy woman started exercising wearing a thin white T-shirt with nothing underneath. As she began sweating, her shirt became transparent so the guys, and some women, began looking her way. She got angry and demanded management make them stop staring at her. Management handed her a copy of the club's dress code and said if she did t like the code then go workout somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness