Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

Seriously, it's only been two months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 07:40 PM

68 posts, read 110,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Yeah I would agree with this. And OP: are you keeping track of the calories you are eating per day, and how many you are burning with exercise?

If you are creating a calorie deficit, then you will lose weight.
I do not keep track of either, but I only eat two meals a day with no snacks. For drinks I usually drink water, diet soda, or milk. I have tried starving myself in the past but just could not handle it all from the first day.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there are no such things as healthy foods. there are only calories.

i can assure you that if your friends are losing weight eating terribly and you arent then they are either throwing up after their meals or your perception of what they are doing isnt accurate. people dont eat like pigs and lose weight. you arent losing enough weight? eat less. you dont know what your friends are doing.
They don't throw up or anything. We eat out frequently and let's say the foods that they pick aren't the best for you. They get to enjoy the good foods while I am stuck with eating the nasty salad. There are also people who eat like pigs and do not gain any weight so I am wondering if there is something that I am doing terribly, terribly wrong.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:15 PM

874 posts, read 1,649,473 times
At least you're losing weight... Fancy me beating up your so-called friends? lol

Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
I do not keep track of either, but I only eat two meals a day with no snacks. For drinks I usually drink water, diet soda, or milk. I have tried starving myself in the past but just could not handle it all from the first day.
Can you give us an idea of what you have for each of your 2 meals?

My first thought is you may not be eating enough calories. I'd like for you to define what "healthy" is as well, because it seems to vary from person to person. You may be consuming too many carbs, or too many fats...you may not be getting enough veggies.

What would a typical eating plan look like for you and at what time of day are you eating these meals?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
They don't throw up or anything. We eat out frequently and let's say the foods that they pick aren't the best for you. They get to enjoy the good foods while I am stuck with eating the nasty salad. There are also people who eat like pigs and do not gain any weight so I am wondering if there is something that I am doing terribly, terribly wrong.
your nasty salad probably has more calories than what they are eating. but you really dont know what they are doing overall. if they are losing weight then they are burning more calories than they are eating (or throwing it up). there is no magic in this process.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 PM

180 posts, read 479,759 times
Do you have thyroid problems? That could make it 100x more difficult for you to lose weight. On another note, don't despair about what your gym friends have lost or look like. Continue to track your calories, make excersise and eating healthy a part of daily life. It is a lifestyle, not a quick fix. Consistency is key. Good luck and don't beat yourself up on what others eat, look like, ect.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Quote:
I go on treadmill for an hour at the gym and I also follow exercise DVDS for an hour at home. I plan to buy a treadmill for my birthday so I can do the exercises at home.

I am 5'0 and 340lbs.
I have a VERY hard time believing you are 5' tall and 340 pounds. Shaq at 7' and 340 was considered fat and slow. No way you are a woman and 340 pounds.

Also, how do you know these women you go to the gym with eat pizza and greasy foods and stuff? Y

How are you going to buy a treadmill for home when you just said you'll be living on campus at a Columbia University? Why not use the gym on campus? I dont mean to sound rude but you would be better off using the treadmills on campus because more than likely they are top of the line Precor which means maximum user weight is okay for you. If you are really only 5' and 340 pounds you'll need the guys at West Coast Chopper or Jesse James to fabricate a special reinforced base to handle your weight. Lower end (i.e., NON Precor or Life Fitness) treadmills have user weight limits of 250-300 which would not work for you.

If you are on the treadmill for an hour, how many miles do you do?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 AM

610 posts, read 1,296,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Alright people lets stick to the subject and not get thrown off by the name calling.

OP, you exercise 2 times per day. What exactly are you doing on these two visits to the gym?

Also, what shape (height and weight) are you in currently?
+1
(@OP: just a curiosity; if you're working out twice a day maybe you're not giving it enough effort... try cutting down on how times you work out, but really put your back into it when you do, so that you need a day in between to recover.)

Also; have a look at what quantity of food you eat, quantity is about as important as quality in terms of diet.
In the beginning it can be very usefull to count the calories. after you've done this for a month or two you'll be good at estimating them, but try being a calorie-nazi for a while.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Can you give us an idea of what you have for each of your 2 meals?

My first thought is you may not be eating enough calories. I'd like for you to define what "healthy" is as well, because it seems to vary from person to person. You may be consuming too many carbs, or too many fats...you may not be getting enough veggies.

What would a typical eating plan look like for you and at what time of day are you eating these meals?
I don't eat breakfast, because if I do I will just end up hungry during the day. For breakfast I used to only eat cereal but that wasn't enough. I would frequently think about food when I am trying to do my school work. My first meal typically starts at 1 p.m. I usually eat a salad and some water. I bring my own lunch, if you are wondering. I have a half day at school, so that is when I drive to the gym sometimes I feel I am about to vomit when I exercise which alarms me because it might mean that something else is wrong with me.

For dinner I eat baked chicken thigh and leg piece(no seasonings) either water,diet soda, or milk (usually water) a half baked potato and a small lettuce salad. I eat plenty of vegetables. I also end up hungry in the middle of the night and craving sweets and whatever my family members are eating. They eat real food such as fried chicken, fried catfish, cakes, and other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness