Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:07 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
From what I gather from what the OP says here and in other threads, I call complete b.s. to her/him.
Whether she is bsing or not, it doesn't really change the fact that she's asking for help to lose weight and lead a healthier life.

Even if our advice is unheeded or lost on deaf ears, there are other lurkers that may be too shy to ask for help that could use the information to lead a healthier life.

So please play nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think its ridiculous to say that my comment about throwing up is "hateful." there is no "hate" in the comment. if anyone is hateful its probably from those people who think others can eat all they want and stay thin.

i believe its all pretty basic math. calories in - calories burned is where you end up. nothing is magic, there are no magical people who can just eat crazy amounts of calories and not gain weight. even if we are talking about people with those super duper fast metabolisms, how much can more powerful can someones metabolism really be compared to someone else's? i just do not believe they can have so much greater of a metabolism that it can give someone nearly unlimited eating ability. the numbers dont make sense to me.
I don't think your comment about throwing up was necessarily "hateful," but I could see how it might be hurtful to someone who has always been on the thin side. No need to jump to conclusions about how they maintain their weight.

As far as metabolisms go, I can about guarantee you that the average 150 pound man can eat more than and lose weight faster than the average 150 pound woman. Their muscle/fat ratios are different. Muscle burns more fat which makes losing weight (usually) easier for the guys.

Insulin resistance is for real and it also makes losing weight an uphill battle.

There are lots of factors...

Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I don't think your comment about throwing up was necessarily "hateful," but I could see how it might be hurtful to someone who has always been on the thin side. No need to jump to conclusions about how they maintain their weight.

As far as metabolisms go, I can about guarantee you that the average 150 pound man can eat more than and lose weight faster than the average 150 pound woman. Their muscle/fat ratios are different. Muscle burns more fat which makes losing weight (usually) easier for the guys.

Insulin resistance is for real and it also makes losing weight an uphill battle.

There are lots of factors...
of course, men and woman are different. but i think we are comparing women to other women. besides, the difference just isnt enough. a donut is 300 calories, if you are eating 2000 calories a day, thats 15% in 1 donut. so how much more can any one person eat to remain thin? 2 donuts isnt much to eat but its 30% of the daily intake. is one woman going to have a 30% greater metabolism than another? now if someone says that some women can eat pizza every meal, donuts as snacks, etc. are they saying that persons metabolism can burn an extra 1000-1500 calories a day more than their own?

i just dont think that perception is reality. its a skewed perception meant to comfort someone who is overweight. if someone is 340 pounds, 5"2 and thinks she eats healthy, i would love to see exactly what she is eating every day. i guarantee you that diet is loaded with extra calories.

there is no magic in this, its math. calories eaten/calories burned and i doubt any given person is burning 50% more calories than someone else considering both people are generally without significant health disorders.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:24 PM

I think the OP has stated that she is 5'0 and 340 pounds. Most 5'0 tall women could not get to that weight no matter how bad their diet, no matter how much they ate- their bodies would break down in some way before that happened.

The OP has also indicated that she has female relatives whom, I'm assuming, are similar in height/bone structure to the OP and they are over 400 pounds. There is definitely a genetic component to extreme obesity and, if that's true, it stands to reason that there is a genetic component to obesity in general. We don't all store excess calories in the exact same way.

But that doesn't mean that any person is destined to be obese. The calories in/calories out rule applies to all of us.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I think the OP has stated that she is 5'0 and 340 pounds.
someone with those stats is putting away tons of twinkies and cheeseburgers. hormonal/medical issues are legitimate. "genetic" is a factor of learned behavior not actual physical limitations. the potential calories that can be affected by this "genetic impact" is too small to give it so much credit. its an excuse for people to blame something other than their diet.

i dont think me and you are so far off here. i just dont like to give people opportunities for excuses that arent really legitimate.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
someone with those stats is putting away tons of twinkies and cheeseburgers. hormonal/medical issues are legitimate. "genetic" is a factor of learned behavior not actual physical limitations. the potential calories that can be affected by this "genetic impact" is too small to give it so much credit. its an excuse for people to blame something other than their diet.

i dont think me and you are so far off here. i just dont like to give people opportunities for excuses that arent really legitimate.
To maintain a 340 pound weight, a person would have to eat around 3200 calories a day.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:54 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
I still say its IMPOSSIBLE for a girl to be 5' tall and 340 pounds AT 17 years old and NOT have some medical issue that caused the weight gain. IMPOSSIBLE!!! I cant believe people are being duped to actually think this is real.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
To maintain a 340 pound weight, a person would have to eat around 3200 calories a day.
i found this calculator and to me it says that a woman of 340 pounds doing moderate exercise can maintain 340 pounds eating 6,009 calories a day. bedbound it says 4,006. how did you come up with your number?

it would be nice to be able to eat 6k calories and maintain your weight.

i understand that calculator is missing variables so i dont know how accurate it is. it was the first i found.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Whether she is bsing or not, it doesn't really change the fact that she's asking for help to lose weight and lead a healthier life.
Really?!?!? So if some other CD member started another just as (or even LESS) ridiculous thread of say "I need help, Bigfoot, Freddie The Flute from H.R. Pufinstuff and Helen Roper keep chasing and making fun of me, how do I outrun them?" you would be as inclined to answer because you feel she needs help? Ridiculous. Less ridiculous than a 17 year old girl who is 5' and 340 pounds.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
i found this calculator and to me it says that a woman of 340 pounds doing moderate exercise can maintain 340 pounds eating 6,009 calories a day. bedbound it says 4,006. how did you come up with your number?

it would be nice to be able to eat 6k calories and maintain your weight.

i understand that calculator is missing variables so i dont know how accurate it is. it was the first i found.
Hmmm. One of us is off.

I checked two online calculators and selected light (1-3 days) of activity, an amount I thought was a realistic weekly goal for the OP at this point.

I think it would be hard for the OP to maintain a moderate (3-5 days) activity level every week. But if she can do it, she can factor in more calories...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness