Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM

506 posts, read 1,957,090 times

Advertisements

I feel like this is SUCH a dumb and almost embarrassing question, but I am getting so frustrated with myself at this point.

I do Crossfit, and can push through intense strength focused WODs with great times/form and even the most intense cardio WODs from burpees to box jumps, and the like. But throw in a run and I am done for. One particular WOD calls for 3 rounds starting with a 400m run. I struggle hard.

My body isn't physically tired, but I can't breathe. I was asthmatic as a child (grew out of it, as far as my last few tests show), but I think when I get the shortness of breath, mentally I panic. It's really embarrassing, takes a lot out of me, and I'm sick of it. It's getting worse as it gets colder.

How can I train myself for this? Any tips? I'm finding things online, like couch to 5K, etc., but I feel like those are all aiming for building the physical strength aspect, and I feel like I need to work on the breathing technique and building up lung stamina or something. This is an area I need to work on bad and will dedicate the time needed, but would love for input on where and how to start and build up.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Get thee to the doc and see if you have exercise induced asthma. And take it from me. Nothing to be embarrassed about! You are out there kicking ass and taking names.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Running can be hard for some folks no matter how fit they are. I am one of those people. I do not like running and I have avoided it for most of my life. Last year I signed up for a sprint triathlon so I had to run. I trained for it and did it and have done some since. But the running is my least favorite part. I run 3 miles a few times a week. I have the stamina, wind and muscle to go further, but I don't and I do not know why. Maybe its all in my mind which I am sure it is. I have trained with a running coach, done track work and intervals. I just cannot get past that 3 mile mark. I want to train for a half marathon but part of me is questioning why.
You can be a great shape and not run. It just depends on what you want to do.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Running is different from most workouts because it's so heavily aerobic. Even the 800 meters (approx 1/2 mile) is 50/50 aerobic/anareobic, that is, 50 percent of the energy required comes from oxygen consumption. The marathon (26.2 miles) is 95 pct. aerobic.

Even if there is no issue with asthma it takes time to develop aerobic capacity. Laying of capillary beds & all that (i know just enough to be dangerous). Also as a workout warrior, you may be trying to go too fast too soon. Try slowing your pace way down, and then gradually increase the number of minutes you can run. Long slow distance (LSD) is the way to increase aerobic capacity. Run 15 minutes, then 20, then 30, and so on.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,922,461 times
Not a dumb question at all. There's a lot of truth to the saying that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Great advice above. Second Somebody new's advice to get checked by a doctor, so you get an idea of your general physical condition and anything you might need to take into account in planning your exercise.

To Wutitiz's thoughts about the difference between running and some other activities I'll add the observation that exercise can often have very specific effects. Conditioning for one activity may not transfer over fully to another form of exercise. A question I have is how long you've been running, or how much running you've done in the past, compared to the other exercises you're doing. If you're a lot newer to running than the other activities, it may be that you still need more time for your body to become fully conditioned to the specific effects of running.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:26 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,496 times
While the cardio system is different from the neuromuscular system and needs consistent cardio training to develop, what you describe does sound like you may have allergy-related asthma or exercise-induced asthma.

I was diagnosed last year when I noticed that I would get a dry cough after my runs at random times. I also experienced a constant runny nose when running outside during the colder months (note: I didn't have this problem when it was over 50 degrees nor if I was indoors). After going back and forth a few times and getting tested for allergies, I learned that I was basically allergic to a lot of outdoor allergens and was prescribed an albuterol inhaler, a rescue inhaler (for races or faster running days), nasal spray, and told to take Claritin on the worse days. It helped tremendously.

It is more common than people think to discover they have some form of asthma as an adult. Some will say that they more they run, the better their asthma gets. I also noticed this for myself, but still exhibit symptons regardless. Asthma can be tricky because its so individual. Doesn't hurt to get it checked out either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness