Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 09:44 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This.
And for men,they only do it to show off.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
And for men,they only do it to show off.

This is pretty equivalent to the "all fat people are lazy" stereotype that you were lamenting not too long ago. Careful with the stereotypes, as you know they are often incorrect, obviously.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Methinks you missed the sarcasm in mocha's opening line.

Exercise reduces SOME health risks. Being fit isn't a guarantee of no health issues, I would have thought that was obvious.
So if that is the case,why are they dying of OBESITY related diseases?

Maybe they should add a disclaimer: eating right and exercising is no guarantee you will not get heart disease or diabetes.

and this diclaimer: Not eating right and exercising doesn't necessarily mean you will develop heart disease or diabetes.

Back to the question:Why do so many marathon runners and bodybuilders drop dead of heart attacks? Oftn it happens while they are exercising.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:22 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
So if that is the case,why are they dying of OBESITY related diseases?

Maybe they should add a disclaimer: eating right and exercising is no guarantee you will not get heart disease or diabetes.

and this diclaimer: Not eating right and exercising doesn't necessarily mean you will develop heart disease or diabetes.

Back to the question:Why do so many marathon runners and bodybuilders drop dead of heart attacks? Oftn it happens while they are exercising.
There should be no disclaimer; this is all common sense. Non-smokers can die from lung cancer, just as smokers can. Fit people can die from disease, just like overweight people can. Genetics plays a huge role in some cases.

Let me bring it home for you. My sister has been slim and fit all of her life. She takes about four different medications for several illnesses, high blood pressure being one. And she is pre-diabetic. And she's 33. She already follows a clean diet, so the doctor said that it was genetic, not lifestyle related (my mom and grandfather has high blood pressure and my grandmother had diabetes)

I have been overweight as a kid and for a good portion of my adult life I was obese. I took blood pressure meds for about a year before I started losing weight. Once I lost the weight, my blood pressure stabilized. Today, I am the only person in my family who is not on medication.

So, which one of us "should" die from a heart attack? My sister who is fit and healthy and has always been fit and healthy? Or myself, who struggles with keeping weight off and her love for fried and fast foods?

Exercise and a healthy diet isn't a "get out of jail free" card. But, as I said, it is about quality of life. My sister still works out and eats healthy, even though it didn't prevent her medical conditions.

Quote:
I really think people only exercise to please others or to look at certain way.if someone took an honest poll at any gym that was anonymous,then id be willing to bet only maybe 10 percent would be there for health reasons.
So what if they do? Who are you to judge why someone works out? Whether it's the mirror or the doctor's office, whatever gets them out there is okay.

Last edited by mochamajesty; 09-27-2011 at 10:32 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
Margritte25 wrote:
I wish people who were worked at gyms were more like you ( Lucario ). You sound like an awesome trainer!
Many...if not most of us....are like Lucario!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Margritte25 wrote:
I wish people who were worked at gyms were more like you ( Lucario ). You sound like an awesome trainer!
Many...if not most of us....are like Lucario!
That is a great thing indeed.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
So if that is the case,why are they dying of OBESITY related diseases?...
The simple answer there is that being fit REDUCES THE RISK of dying from these obesity related deseases. It still happens to fit people, just not as often as it does to the obese people. See?

Quote:
...Back to the question:Why do so many marathon runners and bodybuilders drop dead of heart attacks? Oftn it happens while they are exercising.
Any statistics to show that it actually is "so many"? Honestly I don't hear about fit folks dropping dead from heart attacks that often...

Old 09-27-2011, 12:33 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
jerseygal4u wrote:
...Back to the question:Why do so many marathon runners and bodybuilders drop dead of heart attacks? Oftn it happens while they are exercising.
This does indeed happen....ocassionally, but not nearly as often as you suggest in your post. And for someone like me who enjoys exercising, I say.....what a great way to go to the great beyond! In my mind, it sure beats a slow, agonizing death due to an obesity related illness.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:36 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
These are all excuses YOU are making. You can do ALL of the above and exercise. Its all about prioritizing. Im all for volunteering in my community, working on my home, taking care of and playing with my kids, but I will ALWAYS find time to take care of my health/fitness.
How many children do you have? Are any of them special needs? How many hours are in your day?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jerseygal4u wrote:
This does indeed happen....ocassionally, but not nearly as often as you suggest in your post. And for someone like me who enjoys exercising, I say.....what a great way to go to the great beyond! Sure beats a slow, agonizing death due to an obesity related illness.
This is actually one of my fears with exercising. I'm not morbidly obese. I am 141 and 5'2". I have been working out and have lost 16 lbs. I would love to start running but I fear having a heart attack while doing so. I know (actually know, not heard of) people who have died while running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness