Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,951,951 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any resources to share for whole food (not processed) daily menus? I'm not necessarily looking for a specific diet; I'm just trying to avoid processed food, stay nutritionally balanced, and keep my calories around 1500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM

61,884 posts, read 87,361,740 times
Healthy Food Menu Ideas | LIVESTRONG.COM
Healthy Recipes and Meal Ideas
Healthy Food Recipes & Nutritional Menu Ideas from Epicurious
and more, but please check out our Food and Drink Forum //www.city-data.com/forum/food-drink/

Old 08-18-2011, 01:25 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,412,571 times
Paleo Diet Lifestyle | paleo diet tips and recipes

Diet tips, recipes, meal plans, etc.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:15 PM

14,565 posts, read 23,092,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Paleo Diet Lifestyle | paleo diet tips and recipes

Diet tips, recipes, meal plans, etc.
Everytime someone recommends paleo, God kills a puppy.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,994,156 times
I highly recommend this website:

Six Pack Abs The Truth About Eating

I just found out about it a few days ago in another exercise and fitness thread (over 30 - six pack abs).

The low-fat 100% healthy food diet I have been following for the past 8 months is very similar to the above website.

Using this diet, I've lost over 30lbs in the past 6+ months (roughly 1lb / week), and have surpassed my goal weight by an additional 3lbs.

I was eating between 1000 - 1500 calories per day during this time, and have recently raised it to 1500 - 2000, so I stop losing weight, and now just eat to maintain my current weight.

Some additional healthy foods I also eat are whole grain pasta, low-fat yogurt, whole wheat bread and whole grain cereals like Shredded Wheat and Raisin Bran.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,412,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Everytime someone recommends paleo, God kills a puppy.

I'm open to reasonable arguments against it. Where does eating paleo fall short of the OP's goals?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm open to reasonable arguments against it. Where does eating paleo fall short of the OP's goals?
Well the whole paleo stance against dairy and grains irks me something fierce. Those are both perfectly healthy foods and demonizing them is quite silly and lacks any scientific foundation, especially when the basis for that stance is the assumption that our ancestors didn't eat them.

That aside, it's not a terrible way to eat. I just don't want to see more people fall into this trap of demonizing entire food groups.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:51 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,994,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Well the whole paleo stance against dairy and grains irks me something fierce. Those are both perfectly healthy foods and demonizing them is quite silly and lacks any scientific foundation, especially when the basis for that stance is the assumption that our ancestors didn't eat them.

That aside, it's not a terrible way to eat. I just don't want to see more people fall into this trap of demonizing entire food groups.
Regarding the Paleo diet, I find it hard to base a diet on how ancestors lived (assuming we mean cavemen here). What do we really know about the health of cavemen? All we have are fossil bones to use for research. We don't have blood samples or organ tissue. We don't know if they had heart conditions, or other types of disease. We are simply assuming that they were all healthy, and had no issues, and lived long and healthy lives.

I think what we consider to be healthy foods should be based on what we know from current scientific research and long term studies of various foods, and their effects on the body.

Not from an assumption that "cavemen" were the pinnacle of good health, so let's all eat like cavemen.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Is there any awesome diet not based on eating a bazillion eggs?

I absolutely cannot get an egg down without gagging...which I guess burns calories, but they are fully disgusting to me in any preparation.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Regarding the Paleo diet, I find it hard to base a diet on how ancestors lived (assuming we mean cavemen here). What do we really know about the health of cavemen? All we have are fossil bones to use for research. We don't have blood samples or organ tissue. We don't know if they had heart conditions, or other types of disease. We are simply assuming that they were all healthy, and had no issues, and lived long and healthy lives.

I think what we consider to be healthy foods should be based on what we know from current scientific research and long term studies of various foods, and their effects on the body.

Not from an assumption that "cavemen" were the pinnacle of good health, so let's all eat like cavemen.
Exactly. Not only that, but we have actually found archaeological evidence that our paleolithic ancestors had tools for processing grains.

Another problem I have with the paleo diet is that it is absurdly cultish and dogmatic, almost to religious levels. It's like they believe that their diet is going to turn them into Spartan warriors. I think the paleo fad would have alot more credibility if they got away from their anti-dairy and grains kick, but they've got the perfect marriage going with the crossfit cult who are also big on this imaginary warrior thing, so I doubt they'll risk losing the money by playing with their formula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness