Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Is there any awesome diet not based on eating a bazillion eggs?

I absolutely cannot get an egg down without gagging...which I guess burns calories, but they are fully disgusting to me in any preparation.
Sure. It's called a diet with optimally balanced macros. Just substitute other protein sources for the eggs and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 12:01 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
Quote:

I absolutely cannot get an egg down without gagging...which I guess burns calories, but they are fully disgusting to me in any preparation.
LOL, I don't eat eggs at all so I know what you mean!!!

For the OP, some whole foods suggestions:
brown rice
barley
organic poultry (turkey and chicken, suggested organic since I am guessing you don't want any bad things in your foods)
steamed veggies and whole fruits not cooked in a lot of bad stuff like butter
baked/grilled fish and seafood
you might also want to try incorporating vegan and vegetarian foods in your daily meals, I'm not vegan but I enjoy eating vegan muffins everyday

Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:

I happen to love eggs. But I stopped eating egg yolks due to the yolk containing lots of fat and cholesterol. The white is essentially all protein and nothing else, and protein is needed for building and maintaining muscle.

So I now boil 12 eggs at a time until they are hard-boiled and put them in the fridge. Then whenever I want eggs whites for protein, I simply take as many eggs as I want out of the fridge, the shells easily peel off, and the solidified yolk easily separates from the white.

Maybe if you tried hard-boiled egg whites, you'd enjoy them?

You can also sprinkle pepper on them for added flavor. I don't recommend salt, since excess sodium is bad for blood pressure, and egg whites already have 55mg sodium in each one.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:24 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Well the whole paleo stance against dairy and grains irks me something fierce. Those are both perfectly healthy foods and demonizing them is quite silly and lacks any scientific foundation, especially when the basis for that stance is the assumption that our ancestors didn't eat them.

That aside, it's not a terrible way to eat. I just don't want to see more people fall into this trap of demonizing entire food groups.

I, personally, don't demonize anything. In fact, I still eat *limited* grains, so long as they are whole grains. I also eat limited dairy.

However, there is nothing offered by grains and dairy that can't be gotten elsewhere just as easily and healthily. Nutrition, like workout regimens, are always largely a matter of "what works for you".

Old 08-19-2011, 07:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I happen to love eggs. But I stopped eating egg yolks due to the yolk containing lots of fat and cholesterol. The white is essentially all protein and nothing else, and protein is needed for building and maintaining muscle.

So I now boil 12 eggs at a time until they are hard-boiled and put them in the fridge. Then whenever I want eggs whites for protein, I simply take as many eggs as I want out of the fridge, the shells easily peel off, and the solidified yolk easily separates from the white.

Maybe if you tried hard-boiled egg whites, you'd enjoy them?

You can also sprinkle pepper on them for added flavor. I don't recommend salt, since excess sodium is bad for blood pressure, and egg whites already have 55mg sodium in each one.
Geezus...no one can believe it, but even the egg whites are completely gross to me.

You know how a rotting egg smells? That is how all eggs smell to me all the time - even in what y'all consider the most benign of preparations, and even without the yolk. Do you seriously think I have not tried a hard boiled egg?

I agree with your method being easy and convenient...I know several people who swear by it. Something that might help with the egg peeling is those little eggies that allow you to actually crack the egg into the eggie (egg shaped dealie that sits in the boiling water) - you can separate the yolk out at that time, and then there is no peeling.

I really wish I could like eggs.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:20 AM

No need for eggs, Stan. There are plenty of other protein sources.

Perhaps something like the Zone Diet would be a good fit for you? That way, you only have to satisfy the requisite "blocks" for your goals - with whatever food items you like.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I, personally, don't demonize anything. In fact, I still eat *limited* grains, so long as they are whole grains. I also eat limited dairy.

However, there is nothing offered by grains and dairy that can't be gotten elsewhere just as easily and healthily. Nutrition, like workout regimens, are always largely a matter of "what works for you".

So you're basically a healthy eater rather than Paleo it sounds like.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:51 PM

Paleo, just not 100% strict.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Paleo, just not 100% strict.
But if you eat dairy and grains, you've abandoned the paleo concept which is not eating anything our ancestors didn't eat.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Does anyone have any resources to share for whole food (not processed) daily menus? I'm not necessarily looking for a specific diet; I'm just trying to avoid processed food, stay nutritionally balanced, and keep my calories around 1500.
watch the video on this website.

raw_markus_video

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness