Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:01 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times

Advertisements

Peace be with you and the masseuse you need.
When you've done a pigeon pose, holler back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
"hollering back". . . unsupported, too..in case you're wondering.

I do Yoga/stretching/pilates (classes and on my own time), probably more than you... probably have more flexibility/mobility than you too.

When you squat/deadlift 3x your own body weight, bench press 2x your body weight... run half marathons (no fulls due to powerlifting), "holler back".

Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I'm wondering---is massage really only for people who don't have a lot of aches and pains? If someone keeps fit and does yoga, is massage wasted on them?
If I wasn't in pain, I wouldn't go.

I'm not super fit, but certainly on my way. I've been getting regular massage for years...sometimes monthly, sometimes, weekly, sometimes I go for months without.

But, I've had 2 back surgeries, with a lot of long standing musculoskeletal issues/ injuries. I've had all different types of massage, but I never do swedish because it does absolutely nothing for me. I want a therapeutic response, so I usually do some type of deep tissue or manual therapy. Hot stone is awesome & doesn't require as much deep tissue digging which really hurts. I really like it when my trainer does assisted stretching at the end of leg day. I do daily stretching on my own, with and without the foam roller and some other techniques I've learned from my physical therapist and pilates instructors.

My regular masseuse says the muscle tightness releases much quicker since I've become more fitness-focused, than when I was living in pain (& sleeping, on mega pain pills).

Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
I don't think it really depends on how many hours of exercise you get, or if you do a pigeon pose or not. Instead, it depends on you as a person. Some people never need a massage or like one, both as a very fit person and as a totally non-fit person. One person may need them more while be a slob, while another needs them more while at their exercise peak. And as biscuitmom points out, some need them less after becoming proficient at yoga, but I'm guessing that there are people who are very proficient at yoga and still enjoy a massage.

It's way to personal and depends on too many variables to state that massage works better for fit vs. non-fit.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:11 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I am way too cheap to spend the money on massage, but I did have one yesterday because it was reimbursed (I did it as a mystery/secret shopper!). I've heard people talk about how fabulous they are. It wasn't bad by any means, but I didn't achieve this wondrous state of relaxation. Didn't even get sleepy! For a lot of the massage, I felt like it was just having lotion rubbed on my arms and legs. With the back, there was a bit more pressure. No way would I pay $70 for it and then the tip.

I left not feeling any different than when I arrived! Earlier in the day, I took a Latin dance class for one hour and then did yoga for one hour, followed by the hot tub and sauna. Doing a routine like this daily keeps me feeling unstressed and pretty limber. I honestly achieve more relaxation at the end of a vigorous yoga class lying in corpse pose for ten minutes than being on the massage table for 60! No aches and pains to speak of. So---maybe it wasn't possible to feel any better! I'm glad that I know now that I am not missing anything. I'd rather keep the money!

I'm wondering---is massage really only for people who don't have a lot of aches and pains? If someone keeps fit and does yoga, is massage wasted on them?
Some of the responses on this discussion don't make a lot of sense. I have never heard someone associate the benefits of massage with fitness. There are different kinds of massage as a few have pointed out, ranging from the Swedish type that you received, which is basically having oil rubbed on you, to the more physical deep tissue, sports massage or Ashiatsu massage where the therapist walks on your back. Sports massage, Thai massage and sometimes deep tissue massage will include stretching. Deep tissue massage can sometimes be painful and the soreness might last a day or two.

A Swedish massage doesn't do much for me. I enjoy deep tissue massage and it seems like it is fixing aches and pains at the time. I'm not sure that the benefits last very long. The sports massage where they stretch you can be very beneficial for certain types of problems such as low back pain. A good therapist can force your body into stretches that are difficult to do on you own.

Many elite athletes and average people swear by massage. The elite athletes feel that it improves blood circulation and improves recovery. Average people typically have as many, if not more aches and pains as serious athletes so they feel they benefit from massage. So to answer your question about whether massage is really only for people who don't have a lot of aches and pains, I would say it it just the opposite. Many people who regularly get massage are people who have a lot of aches and pains for whatever reason.

You asked, "If someone keeps fit and does yoga, is massage wasted on them?" My response is I don't think it is wasted if it makes you feel good. Keeping fit means different things to different people. An elite marathoner who is running 120 miles a week might feel that massage is critical to his recovery and therefore his ability to maintain a strict training schedule.

Last of all, I think age makes a difference. I think the older you are, the more aches and pains you have regardless of your physical activity. Therefore, you might benefit from massage more than a younger person.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Some of the responses on this discussion don't make a lot of sense. I have never heard someone associate the benefits of massage with fitness. There are different kinds of massage as a few have pointed out, ranging from the Swedish type that you received, which is basically having oil rubbed on you, to the more physical deep tissue, sports massage or Ashiatsu massage where the therapist walks on your back. Sports massage, Thai massage and sometimes deep tissue massage will include stretching. Deep tissue massage can sometimes be painful and the soreness might last a day or two.

A Swedish massage doesn't do much for me. I enjoy deep tissue massage and it seems like it is fixing aches and pains at the time. I'm not sure that the benefits last very long. The sports massage where they stretch you can be very beneficial for certain types of problems such as low back pain. A good therapist can force your body into stretches that are difficult to do on you own.

Many elite athletes and average people swear by massage. The elite athletes feel that it improves blood circulation and improves recovery. Average people typically have as many, if not more aches and pains as serious athletes so they feel they benefit from massage. So to answer your question about whether massage is really only for people who don't have a lot of aches and pains, I would say it it just the opposite. Many people who regularly get massage are people who have a lot of aches and pains for whatever reason.

You asked, "If someone keeps fit and does yoga, is massage wasted on them?" My response is I don't think it is wasted if it makes you feel good. Keeping fit means different things to different people. An elite marathoner who is running 120 miles a week might feel that massage is critical to his recovery and therefore his ability to maintain a strict training schedule.

Last of all, I think age makes a difference. I think the older you are, the more aches and pains you have regardless of your physical activity. Therefore, you might benefit from massage more than a younger person.
I agree - I think massage can benefit everyone - but you have to find the massage technique and therapist that fits you.

I dislike Swedish massage - it seems like a huge waste of time to me but other people love it. Deep tissue massage is where I'm at ~ it hurts so good!

OTOH - there are some people that just don't like being touched by strangers or being massaged. Young, old, fat, thin - either you like it or you don't.

I know a lot of athletes in training use some form of massage. Not my son though! He refuses.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:51 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,777,113 times
I love massage on my days off. I really love this knob thing I got to self massage at home. I use it on my back mostly, just leaning on it in bed and holding the position/pressure. All the tension sadness frusration of the day comes to the surface instead of hiding in my muscles. Deprecated Browser Error Not sure why it says browser error but the link works and there is a pic of the knob on the link.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I love a good deep tissue massage; but unfortunately it is really difficult for me to find a really good therapist. I have had one or two FABULOUS therapists in my time, but they were both in other cities. I now live in a city with a masseuse on every corner; but they are expensive and don't find it worth it at all. So now I just spend my money joining the Y, which here is like a fabulous gym and haven't really even felt the need.

I'm sure if I could find a therapist that really did the trick for me I would go once in awhile, but at these prices, it would really need to be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness