Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 AM

803 posts, read 1,669,714 times

Advertisements

I saw a guy doing dumbbell exercises while wearing some sort of mask with a tube connected to a small backpack. Maybe he was training for a marathon at a higher altitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM

3,976 posts, read 5,175,395 times
The other day I saw a guy load 225 onto a barbell, then put a twenty five pound plate on a neck harness. The plate on the harness hung down his back.
Then, with his back and face up, he would do a shrug with the barbell. Each time he shrugged the weight, he would bring his head forward and touch his chest with his chin. Then he would move his head back, lower the barbell and that counted as a rep.

It looked strange, but I'm guessing it made for a great neck\traps workout.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,613,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
I saw a guy doing dumbbell exercises while wearing some sort of mask with a tube connected to a small backpack. Maybe he was training for a marathon at a higher altitude.
Sounds like an alpiner. He may be in training for a Himalayan summit attempt.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,395,509 times
What is with people who go to the gym, and basically just hang like a lump? Why even bother? Woman tonight in Zumba, was just standing there. No effort at all. Does she think just going to the gym is the workout?

Okay, not to be rude (you know it will be) but why do people NOT in shape wear tight clothes? Stop. There really needs to be a weight limit on spandex clothing.... Just saying...

Old 04-06-2013, 08:18 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,684,147 times
Those women who wear belly dancer beads/bells at Zumba look silly. Not toooo weird, but just kinda silly to me.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
1. The old gym that I went to there was a man there in his 40s-50s about 5'5'' and the same size around. After his work out he would be in the shower and he would call for his teen son to come in the shower and give him a towel, and would have a lengthy conversation with him
2. The guy who would hop out of the shower, put his flip flops on and maybe his shirt and nothing else and walk around doing his hair, shaving (while his junk was rubbing against the counter top)
3. The old weird guy who rode the bus to the gym, would bring his suit case with heavey duty caster wheels duct taped to the bottom, and would wear either boots wrapped in duct tape or sandels wraped in duct tape with overs sized insoles, and what ever he couldn't fit in the suit case he would wear in the middle of the summer. He would open his suite case take his clothes to the sink and start washing them take a shower hang out in the locker room most of the day. I never seen him work out. I talked to one of the guys behind the counter and they said he has a basic membership and uses the gym as a place to take a shower.
if you want to live the van life, the gym is your shower/bathroom, maybe not for laundry but for hygiene (remove pubic hairs inside a stall or the shower, etc.). plenty of people do live in vans that i know of.

also at my gym, there is a sign on the sauna. i am not gay but if i was, i would enjoy the amount of sex that goes on there. the sign put up by the manager says the following:

"this sauna is for personal health use only. please members, let us try to keep everything in order and not to do other things."

this is a gym in new york city. i find it hilarious.

there is this 40 something guy who wears tight under armour shirts and has a big belly. he works out while listening to his music player and he always brings his luggage with him.

there is this other guy whose armpits stink like onions. i feel like vomiting.

there are the usual joe shmoes who take up machines for about an hour. this is commonplace so nothing strange about it. deal with it or tell the manager to inform the member that others want to use it so you remain anonymous.

i wonder about the weird people andrew dice clay must have seen while he was running his gym a few years back.

and now, HERE IS A NIGHTMARE STORY.

i came to the gym for a workout one early morning. go to the locker room and some guy blocks me. i said what gives? he says stay away. some guy last night (at closing time) got pissed off that he had to cut his workout short by a few minutes so he went into the sauna and did number 2 (poo) inside while leaving it on at full blast. the entire locker room stunk. it was disgusting. i think the employee cleaning it told me he had to bleach the entire sauna.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM

8,700 posts, read 11,098,417 times
i got a few

-guy comes to the gym in full tennis outfit with tennis racket every other day. Problem? we don't have a tennis court in the gym
-guy has a subway sandwich eating WHILE on a treadmill.
-guy walking on a cane while walking on a treadmill
-one person who always wear tight tight shiny spandex where you can see his goods.
-another person who has holes all over his shirt. his sneakers have a giant hole in the FRONT. you can see his toes
-Some regular who always wore giant polka dot tights. he looked like those push up ice cream bars

I actually ninja a few pics to show my friends to prove I wasn't full of it with these observation. Not sure if i am allowed to post online

Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,402,806 times
Many years ago, for two straight days, I witnessed this nerdy Baby-Huey shaped white guy who'd stroll on the treadmill . . . after he'd plug in and run his personal stand-up electric fan on high speed!

Oy vey!

Old 04-11-2013, 01:23 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,734,409 times
I see the younger guys tucking the gym hand towels to sort of hang over the front of their shorts, in the crotch area, like a little apron. Are they trying to "hide something" or is it to keep the towel handy to wipe off the perspiration? It looks very strange to me!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,854,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

I actually ninja a few pics to show my friends to prove I wasn't full of it with these observation. Not sure if i am allowed to post online
Yes, please post your pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness