Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 06:17 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times

Advertisements

It's unfair to criticize a hobby that someone else does.

How do you think athletes get a competitive level? Hard work. Even if a person does not want to compete, perhaps that person really enjoys working out. Twelve hours a week in a gym is a small number compared to the number of hours people spend doing other things.

Quote:
I just wanted to be able to booze it up on the weekends
How many hours is that? 12 hours for two days? I'm not judging you or saying that what you did in college was wrong, but it puts perspective on 12 hours a week at the gym.

Boozing up, socializing with others over the weekend is good short term fun. Perhaps you'll get laid and talk to some buddies you won't know in a few years. Spending time in the gym working towards a goal; fitness, long term health, competitive sport, etc.. for another person could have short term and long term benefits.

To say that a person spending more than 12 hours in the gym has mental problems is a huge overstatement.

Who is next to criticize? Artists? Writers? Bloggers? We could go on and on for days, criticizing those that may seem 'over dedicated', but those are the people that make progression possible. Without passion, hard work and dedication the advancements we have today (sport, art, science, education) wouldn't be possible. If there were 6+ billion people on the earth that settled for mediocrity, than this world would be a much more awful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 10:42 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I mean, how many hours of your life do you dedicate to the gym each week? Unless you are a physical trainer or professional athlete, if the answer is more than 12, I'd question your mental health. Seriously, what do you have to prove? Are you trying to make up for some other flaws that are easier hidden?
Honestly, I think 12 hours spent per week at the gym is a much better use of time than 12 hours per week spent on City-Data forum.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM

71 posts, read 115,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Versus over 12 hours of what, watching TV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
LMAO!!!
Rep points to you on this one boxus. Very funny. Very good post.
What, are you serious? There are infinitely more things to do than to exercise all your free time away. That doesn't even include television, which is about as mentally challenging as working out is.

Last edited by hsniox; 03-17-2013 at 01:00 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
No need for a pissing contest of 'what should we spend our time doing'.

It's all a matter of opinion and based on context.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Four workouts per week, approximately half cardio and half various strength training exercises. Each workout lasts about an hour and 15 minutes for a total of five hours a week. It's not my life, but I treat it as seriously as I would a part-time job. I also feel guilty if I have to miss a workout for any reason.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:45 PM

361 posts, read 748,476 times
Yes, multiple walks per day to the refrigerator. And eating. Hey, someone told me eating actually burns calories.

But on a more serious note, I try to swim a mile a day (5 per week, not 7). Takes me about an hour a day. Not sure what good it does. Good for cardio I guess. Does absolutely nothing for me in terms of weight loss or waistline.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
What I wrote on this thread made me realize something.
I do want to commit and 'revolve' my life more around fitness (and not just work out and eat healthy for my health's sake).
So starting today, that's what I have committed to do.
I've always been an athlete. For the last few years, I've been an athlete without a sport to call home.

Thanks, guys...I never realized that's something I could create and commit to as a goal (outside of general health concerns).

Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I mean, how many hours of your life do you dedicate to the gym each week? Unless you are a physical trainer or professional athlete, if the answer is more than 12, I'd question your mental health. Seriously, what do you have to prove? Are you trying to make up for some other flaws that are easier hidden?
If this topic bothers you so much, perhaps you should go read something in the urban planning forums. Or great debates.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
No need for a pissing contest of 'what should we spend our time doing'.

It's all a matter of opinion and based on context.
Excellent point!!!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsniox View Post
What, are you serious? There are infinitely more things to do than to exercise all your free time away. That doesn't even include television, which is about as mentally challenging as working out is.
Watching TV isn't mentally challenging at all unless you watch intelligent, thought provoking programming, which most people don't judging by the new reality shows they come up with. You can easily turn your brain off and zone out while watching tv.

Working out and fitness is actually a science. Sure, you can just go to a gym and jump on a machine for a while which requires no thought. But if you want to have an effective workout, you have to do the math of how many reps at what weight, how many times a week, how hard and long to stay doing cardio. How many calories burned and at what heart rate do I need to maintain to keep up good cardio. It would be dismissive to say working out takes no brains.

I don't work out in the gym 12 hours a week, but I am likely active at least that much in doing some kind of physical activity that burns calories. Whether it's running errands, cooking, going to the gym, working out at home, dancing, cleaning, doing work around the house, shopping, or any other number of things, you would be surprised at how much people exercise without realizing it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness