Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
That sounds similar to what I tried for 9 months. I was able to build up a LITTLE, but I never was able to run more than 2 to 3 minutes at a time, even after all those months.

If you were able to run 30 minutes non-stop after just 8 weeks, then I don't think what I was trying was "too much too soon." As I said above, 9 months later I could still barely run/jog 3 minutes. You mention experiencing the burning lungs and feeling like you were going to die....I don't understand how you can keep going when you feel that way, unless yours wasn't as severe as mine. I know I'm supposed to breathe only through my nose, but I would be desperately gasping for air through my mouth, it would feel like nothing was even getting to my lungs, it would feel like my lungs were full of concrete, and my body absolutely had to stop running. I was working one-on-one with different running trainers for a while---they said they'd never seen anyone struggle to breathe the way I did.
If you are trying to breath though your nose while you are running, this might be part of your problem. I'm not sure if it is possible for anyone, but I'm sure I can't run at my average pace while only breathing through my nose. If you start out a run only breathing though your nose, you are quickly going to be out of breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I don't think so.
Breathing through your nose in a controlled, relaxed manner is how both my cross country coaches and my martial arts masters have always advised (except for during forceful exertion (punch, kick, block, etc).
You can easily wear yourself out panting like a dog from the get-go.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
I tend to be somewhat of a mouth breather. As a kid I had a lot of respiratory problems, and my dentist once told me that she could see damaged sinuses on my xrays. It hasn't really seemed to hinder my running. I tried using breathe-right strips once and it did seem to make a significant difference. I was going to use them in my last race, but forgot to pack them in my bag. I'll probably use them again in the future to see if I can get an edge from them in racing.

I don't think it would matter if the problem is anemia, though. You can pump in all the oxygen you want, but if there are not enough red blood cells to deliver it to the muscles, it won't help.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,653 times
In my prime, high school days I ran the mile in like 7:30, which was pretty bad.

However I was fast and focused on sprinting.

To this day I cannot run long distances. I can do intensive cardio and sprints, jumps and squats for over an hour, but I just can't keep a steady pace when running/jogging.

My last mile was over 10mins.

It's come to the point where I hate to run, I also get shin splints too (which are subsiding as I lose weight).

So I just do Yoga, Walk and some cross training from time to time.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:42 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think so.
Breathing through your nose in a controlled, relaxed manner is how both my cross country coaches and my martial arts masters have always advised (except for during forceful exertion (punch, kick, block, etc).
You can easily wear yourself out panting like a dog from the get-go.
I highly doubt you will find many people who recommend breathing only through your nose. Take a look at these articles.

What Breathing Tells You About Running Intensity | Runner's World

When I'm running, my nose runs and I end up breathing through my mouth. Any suggestions? | Runner's World

Ask the Coaches: Side Stitch Problems | Running Times

Will inhaling through my nose and exhaling through my mouth help me to run better? | Runner's World & Running Times

HowStuffWorks "How to Breathe When Running"

Nose vs. Mouth Breathing While Running: How to Breathe for Running : Runners Connect

Shut Up + Run: Breathing’s Over-Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I tend to be somewhat of a mouth breather. As a kid I had a lot of respiratory problems, and my dentist once told me that she could see damaged sinuses on my xrays. It hasn't really seemed to hinder my running. I tried using breathe-right strips once and it did seem to make a significant difference. I was going to use them in my last race, but forgot to pack them in my bag. I'll probably use them again in the future to see if I can get an edge from them in racing.

I don't think it would matter if the problem is anemia, though. You can pump in all the oxygen you want, but if there are not enough red blood cells to deliver it to the muscles, it won't help.
I tried the Breathe Right Nasal Strips when they came out in the mid 1990s. I have a deviated septum and I feel like the strips provide me more air when I'm breathing normally through my nose. I tried them during races thinking it might help knock a few seconds off my 5K time. What I found was that during a race, I was mostly breathing through my mouth and any difference was extremely slight. The strips seemed to have the most benefit to me when I am sleeping.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I highly doubt you will find many people who recommend breathing only through your nose. Take a look at these articles..
In the beginning, nose breathing.
As demand requires/increases, switch to mouth breathing.
I never meant to imply that you ONLY nose breathe.
But you don't have to start off panting right off the bat.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,167,710 times
I've been a runner since I was in the 7th grade (mostly sprints but since HS have just been jogging/distance for fitness), and I can say that running is very hard. I don't even mean always physically.

It's a very mental activity. It also takes a very long time (for some people) to build up endurance. Your lung capacity CAN improve, but you can do this with many other exercises besides running. Newbies just aren't used to the different demands that running puts on the body. It took me years to get comfortable with actually running alone. Running alone can be very depressing for some people, and it can take months and months to actually get excited to get up and go for your run.

I went through a phase when I was off the track team and went to college. I had a hard time jogging 2 miles when I used to be able to do 5 no problem. I think it was largely because I was alone and just didn't have the patience for it. The more you think about it, the harder it gets for you to breathe, keep going, you convince yourself you're tired, etc.

That being said, running is something that will always be in my life. I think, barring a medical condition, all people can run. Running is NOT for everyone. I recently discovered I enjoy spinning far better than I enjoy running. I can push myself harder (no pain in the joints), and the class dynamic is exciting. I love group exercise, that's just how I operate. I have a friend who is a marathoner who trains completely alone (think 20 mile runs, alone!), and I can't comprehend running more than 8 without a partner. My brain just gets too bored.

If you find rhythmic breathing is too difficult, try yoga or meditation. Even better, join a running group. There are people who can hardly do a mile to people who can push out 10 every day. It'll help you get into the groove of things, especially with more advanced runners to feed off of.

Don't feel bad if running isn't your thing though. Really. There are SO many more exercises out there. I'd love to try swimming. Rowing is fun too.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM

It depresses me because I want to run with my dog. She LOVES it.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 PM

933 posts, read 1,478,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
probably one of the dumbest posts in history, unless you have telepathic powers that enable you to gauge physiology over the internet.
You are going to call me out? Tell me why. Are you telling people just can't run. I find that ridiculous. If you can't run then get in shape. But unless you are bedridden or have cancer, in my opinion, there is no reason why you can't train yourself to run. I came off a little blunt and rude, I agree. But my premise remains unchanged. There is no reason, other than a serious illness, that someone should be unable to run two miles after slowly building up your milage. Sorry if you don't agree.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
I tried running with the couch to 5K program. At first I was doing pretty good, but then my body started aching. My knees were hurting, my shins were hurting, even my pelvis was hurting. It was a little better when I ran on a real running track instead of sidewalk, streets, or dirt trail... but I just started feeling like the running was hurting my body... my joints and my skeleton/bones. I'm not overweight at all. I stopped running and my body stopped hurting. I don't think running is good for my body.

Swimming, yoga, and the elliptical feel WAY better on my/for my body... and in the PNW where I live they are also great choices because of our weather... you can do all those activities indoors. (There's nothing more boring to me for some reason than running on a treadmill. I know it doesn't make sense that I would love the elliptical but hate treadmill's, but that's how I feel. lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness