Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:57 PM

280 posts, read 422,187 times

Advertisements

I'm 5"8, 175 lbs. My goal is 145 lbs. I'm hoping to do it in 30 weeks. What if I am only able to lose 15 pounds in that time? I eat clean, work out 6 days a week, etc. I'm afraid of failure. I can't starve myself so I might have to accept whatever results I get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 06:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
I'm 5"8, 175 lbs. My goal is 145 lbs. I'm hoping to do it in 30 weeks. What if I am only able to lose 15 pounds in that time? I eat clean, work out 6 days a week, etc. I'm afraid of failure. I can't starve myself so I might have to accept whatever results I get.
Your goal appears to be thirty pounds in thirty weeks which equals one pound per week. Your first priority should be to consult with your personal physician before starting any weight loss program and/or exercise regime. This would also be the time to ask your physician, health care professional, and/or nutritionist for their recommendations as well concerning the appropriate foods and initial exercise program to begin with.

From what I recall, most doctors, health care professionals, and nutritionists recommend no more than 2.5 pounds per week. So, in light of that I think that if you stay focused on eating three healthy meals a day such as lean protein, plenty of the proper vegetables and fruits, as well as two healthy snacks per day and drink plenty of water, you can easily succeed and readily accomplish your goals.

Keep in mind that while working out it is presumed that you will be adding muscle and you may initially be discouraged because muscle weighs more that fat. But stay consistent in your efforts and you should expect to accomplish what you set out to do.

I am not a doctor, health care professional, or nutritionist so the above opinion is based on my life experiences only and not to be construed as medical advice in any way, shape, or form.

Best regards, sincerely and good luck. Please keep us updated on your progress so we can root for your success and buoy you up should your progress become slower than you would like or expect.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:20 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,919,305 times
Lots of good advice from HomeIsWhere... I agree that you should talk with your doctor about a good plan, just to make sure you're getting the go-ahead from an expert who is familiar with you and your physical history. Also, with the okay from a doctor a pound a week seems like a good pace to aim for. Keep in mind, though, that the rate at which you lose may fluctuate from week to week, so try to stay positive if it's not always precisely a pound a week.

Regarding your concern about what happens if you lose only 15 pounds in 30 weeks, if that happens you'll still be making progress, so it will be a positive development. It's important to think of fitness, good eating, and attention to health as a way of life. The way to lose weight and keep it off is to make healthful habits a basic part of the way you live. Do that and you should lose the weight. If it takes a little longer or a little less time than you're aiming for, in terms of the rest of your life that difference in rate of weight loss is insignificant. The goal is to keep moving ahead and making steady progress.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Lots of good advice from HomeIsWhere... I agree that you should talk with your doctor about a good plan, just to make sure you're getting the go-ahead from an expert who is familiar with you and your physical history. Also, with the okay from a doctor a pound a week seems like a good pace to aim for. Keep in mind, though, that the rate at which you lose may fluctuate from week to week, so try to stay positive if it's not always precisely a pound a week.

Regarding your concern about what happens if you lose only 15 pounds in 30 weeks, if that happens you'll still be making progress, so it will be a positive development. It's important to think of fitness, good eating, and attention to health as a way of life. The way to lose weight and keep it off is to make healthful habits a basic part of the way you live. Do that and you should lose the weight. If it takes a little longer or a little less time than you're aiming for, in terms of the rest of your life that difference in rate of weight loss is insignificant. The goal is to keep moving ahead and making steady progress.
Thanks!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
This, exactly. Cut yourself a bit of slack. The weight didn't go on overnight, and it's not going to come off overnight. Even when you add in all the positive, healthy changes to your lifestyle, you're going to have days when the last thing you want to do is workout, or days when you can't stop thinking about ice cream or days when you feel like you've been doing all the right things but the number on the scale isn't budging. This isn't failure. You just have to deal with it and move on.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:46 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,899 times
Are you male or female? I assume male since tristan...

In that case, at 5'8'' 175 pounds I have to ask why is your goal to drop 30 lbs? 5'8'' 145 pounds seems very underweight

Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
Don't be afraid.

If in thirty weeks you don't lose 30 pounds, so what?
You will be healthier and more fit and you will have lost some weight.

If you do nothing, you will be right where you are now.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Are you male or female? I assume male since tristan...

In that case, at 5'8'' 175 pounds I have to ask why is your goal to drop 30 lbs? 5'8'' 145 pounds seems very underweight
I'm a woman. 145 pounds is not very underweight (I wish!). It's a very healthy weight.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:07 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,482 times
Try a flax seed oil supplement daily. Also, your goal shouldnt be weight loss IMO it should be lifestyle changes. You want to be able to keep the weight off indefinitely right??

Continue your workout regimen and once you've lost as much as you can lose go ahead and cut back from 6 days a week to 3 days a week but maintain the healthy diet.

As others have said, dont beat yourself up to much. I'm not saying you shouldnt ever workout and load up on fast food each day, just do the best you can with your diet and exercise and accept yourself whatever the end result may be.

You might also try to find something fun to do that just happens to keep you in shape such as playing volleyball, hiking, surfing/paddle boarding/swimming (swimming's a really good one). For me personally, I work out right now and have a lot of muscle definition but I know I wont be able to keep that up for more than another few months until I get sick of it or my schedule changes. What keeps me thin is mountain biking. It is a sport that I have a lot of passion for and will never (hopefully) get sick of.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:13 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,388 times
I think it's realistic. I think everyone has pretty much given you great advice.

I'm just here to encourage you. You can do it! Even if you only lose 15 lbs., it's 15 lbs. less than you weigh today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness