Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:25 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times

Advertisements

I suppose this subject has been discussed before but I don't want to go digging for that in this forum so I will start my own thread. Folks what is the single best exercise in your opinion? For example if you had to choose a single exercise that you were allowed to do which one would you choose and this is including resistance training, calisthenics and everything in between. A lot has been said about several exercises being the best but for me if I was in a situation where I could only do one exercise for a period of time I would choose the exercise that I consider the most efective and complete and that would be The Clean And Press ( Not to be confuesed with The Clean And Jerk although they are very similar). I like it because this exercise involves the entire body from the legs all the way up to the neck and resistance can be added in the form of weights. That being said when done incorrectly it can be a dangerous exercise so proper form is essential. What is your view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 01:32 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
I'm a lifter and CFer so I want to choose a lift, but I think either the burpee, or if we are allowed one piece of equipment, rowing.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
For me? Walking. It's the most portable and adaptable, can be easily incorporated into any waking part of my day, is doable for the most part even if I'm out of shape or under the weather, requires no special equipment, attire, facilities, memberships, can be done indoors or out, can be done solitarily or socially, typically will not cause stress injuries, is easy on my joints, and has proven to be the activity I'll most consistently stick with.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:49 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,768 times
One's not enough, but I say squat.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:52 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Does a single martial arts discipline count as a single exercise?
If not, then hiking. (am I allowed to run on the flats though?)

But if I can break it down by area:
Upper body strength = push ups
Lower body strength = lunges
Cardio = hiking (would be cycling but I don't cycle outdoors when it's very cold and don't stationary cycle indoors when it's nice out -- so that would be to separate things, right?)

Old 02-28-2014, 03:04 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
This is a really tough one. Two exercises would be much easier.

I would actually choose the Deadlift over the Squat. The squat hits the legs a bit harder, but the deadlift has the advantage of hitting some of the same muscles as the squat (though not quite as hard) while also recruiting most of the overall posterior chain. In particular it's going to hit your back a lot more than a squat.

For my second I'd probably pick something venerable like the bench press. I assume I am allowed to change grips - in which case this same exercise can work most of the upper body (pecs, shoulders, triceps).

The only thing notably left out with these two is the biceps. Sad for a guy like me who prides himself on big gunz :P. But if we're down to one or two exercises, direct bicep work doesn't make the cut!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:31 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,468 times
Deadlift.

Second one I'd pick would be yoga sun salutation A or B. This one "exercise" will hit just about every muscle in your body.

Third I'd say the burpee. Heck, you can do tabata burpees everyday and be in outstanding whole body shape.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:32 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,884 times
Burpee

Old 02-28-2014, 03:34 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times
cross country skiing

Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Running, but I do love lifting my iron, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness